Godspeed, Chuck Lyford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godspeed, Chuck Lyford

I am heartbroken to say this, but my good friend Chuck Lyford was killed in a vintage car race in Spokane today. Chuck was a champion hydroplane racer, and pilot of the P-51 Bardahl Special in the early days at Reno (winner at 1965 Los Angeles and Las Vegas). He was absolutely fearless, lived life on his terms, and was a friend unlike any other I have ever had. Chuck's favorite saying was "Every Day Counts". One thing I can say about Chuck Lyford is that he lived every day like it counted. Godspeed, my friend. My heart goes out to Pam, Charlie, and Kim.

Re: Godspeed, Chuck Lyford

Godspeed.

Comment

Just goes to show, every day does count!

R.I.P.

T J

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
        I am heartbroken to say this, but my good friend Chuck Lyford was killed in a vintage car race in Spokane today. Chuck was a champion hydroplane racer, and pilot of the P-51 Bardahl Special in the early days at Reno (winner at 1965 Los Angeles and Las Vegas). He was absolutely fearless, lived life on his terms, and was a friend unlike any other I have ever had. Chuck's favorite saying was "Every Day Counts". One thing I can say about Chuck Lyford is that he lived every day like it counted. Godspeed, my friend. My heart goes out to Pam, Charlie, and Kim.
        Chuck left doing exactly what he wanted to do......and his way. I know how much Chuck meant to you. In addition to Pam, Charlie Brown, and Kim my heart goes out to you Brad. The last gunfighter has left the building. Dwight will be waiting for him to arrive, wrench in hand.
        John
        John Slack

Comment

Godspeed, indeed. My condolences to Chuck's family and to you Brad, on the loss of such a friend.
          Owen Ashurst
          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

"Blue Skies" Chuck. Prayers & Thoughts to Family & Friends. One of the Best Pilots & Person. Yes every Day does count
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

Seattle Times
              Chuck Lyford, a 75-year-old Seattle man who spent his life racing cars, boats and planes died Sunday afternoon after losing control of his vintage sports car at the Spokane County Raceway in Airway Heights.

Lyford was known in racing circles as a philanthropist and thrill-seeker. On Sunday, during the seventh annual Spokane Festival of Speed, he was zipping along the back stretch of the raceway when he lost control of his orange-and-black 1964 Elva Mark VII, said Jim Sloane, a local attorney and race organizer.

The car rolled several times, and emergency personnel responded in under a minute, Sloane said. They had to cut through pieces of the wrecked car to get Lyford out, he said.

Lyford was pronounced dead soon afterward at Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center. Sloane said he had internal injuries.
              remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Godspeed, CAL2. Thank you for my first ever airplane ride. Best $10.00 I ever spent! Your joy and enthusiasm for flying was infectious, as well as contagious.
                Condolences to the family and friends he left behind.
                Last edited by ShermB; 06-13-2017, 03:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                X