The Kiwi's are coming!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kiwi's are coming!

Yes thats right race fans, NZ Yak-3 owner Graeme Frew has announced his intentions to bring his Yak-3U all the way from NZ to attend PRS and hopefully race at Reno in the Unlimiteds this year.
    The Yak itself is returning to Reno, as this particular airplane was the new build Yak 3U originally for Tiger Destafani as N74TF/N73TF before it was damaged in a take off accident in 1997.
    The yak was restored in NZ by JEM aviation at the historic Omaka airfield, where it was also modified as a 2 seater, and is now available in NZ for Warbird Experience rides.
    Here she is at Classic Fighters Omaka 2017
    CF17-SA37 by Hayden Himburg, on Flickr
    CF17-SA32 by Hayden Himburg, on Flickr
    This years star of the show.... Steadfast
    CF17-F2 by Hayden Himburg, on Flickr
    CF17-F29 by Hayden Himburg, on Flickr
    CF17-F5 by Hayden Himburg, on Flickr
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Re: The Kiwi's are coming!

Good news young man. Looking forward to seeing her.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Comment

Awesome! It will be great to see another Yak racing. Any word on whether or not the owners of Steadfast have found a way to bring Steadfast back? I know they were looking into coming back but they ran into some legal issues.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
        Awesome! It will be great to see another Yak racing. Any word on whether or not the owners of Steadfast have found a way to bring Steadfast back? I know they were looking into coming back but they ran into some legal issues.

Will
        The group who bought Steadfast from Will have since on-sold Steadfast to the current owners, and i do believe they are wanting take her back to Reno

Comment

Exciting news!! I've watched videos of that Yak plenty of times on youtube, it'll be awesome to see at Reno!

One of my favorite videos...

The Yak-3 is arguably one of the best Russian fighter aircraft that saw service during World War Two.This video captures Graeme Frew's display routine in his...
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I have to say, I think a hot rod race prepped V12 powered Yak could be an interesting racer. It would have less frontal area than a radial powered one, however the cooling drag would need to be worked out.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this as well as Dusty ripping around the course this year. New racers are a good thing, Who cares if they are racing in the bronze, they are out racing and that is what is important. Who knows, this Yak might even be a Silver racer. I know in 2010 when Shiksa Suka raced, he ran away from the bronze field. I'm excited for this year, I can't wait to see who shows up. Its great to see some more international attendees also. Who knows, perhaps the National Championship Air Races could change to World Championship Air races?

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
              I have to say, I think a hot rod race prepped V12 powered Yak could be an interesting racer. It would have less frontal area than a radial powered one, however the cooling drag would need to be worked out.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this as well as Dusty ripping around the course this year. New racers are a good thing, Who cares if they are racing in the bronze, they are out racing and that is what is important. Who knows, this Yak might even be a Silver racer. I know in 2010 when Shiksa Suka raced, he ran away from the bronze field. I'm excited for this year, I can't wait to see who shows up. Its great to see some more international attendees also. Who knows, perhaps the National Championship Air Races could change to World Championship Air races?

Will
              Agreed it's always nice to have entries no matter what. Especially new planes and pilots that haven't been to Reno.

That full race Yak is being built up in Nor Cal still, slow progress but one day we will get our wish

And "who cares if they are racing in the bronze" is a perfect statement because I'll be HYPED if there's a bronze field this year!!!!
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I heard about this on Warbird Radio a couple weeks back. Good to see that its confirmed! I love the sound of a Yak 3!!

Comment

Its going to be great to see the Yak's back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv138HGXs80
                  Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                    Its going to be great to see the Yak's back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv138HGXs80
                    I was doing a little thinking last night (uh oh...) So, Dusty might have a shot at a gold podium finish this year. Its a long shot, but if Jay and Stevo push each other till they both pop, we have Dreadnought as the winner, SawBones 2nd, and a possible 3 way toss up between Argonaut, 924 and Dusty in his Yak. (I'm assuming no Czech Mate since no official word of it running has been given.) If you look at the speeds of Argo, 924 and Dusty, both Argo and 924 qualified faster than Dusty, but only by 10 mph over his winning speed on Sunday. If he continues to clean up the cooling drag, and reworks his exhaust, that gap might get much closer. Both 924 and Argo's race speeds were well below his race speed. How cool would that be to have a R1830 powered Yak in 3rd place for the gold? Yes, bummer 232, Rare Bear, Precious Metal, Dago, Furias, and (most likely) Czech Mate weren't there, but it says a lot about his attention to detail. Heck, Will Whiteside was pretty thrilled to be running close to 400 mph with Steadfast running an R2000. If Dusty can run 385+ on an R1830, I'd say that would be a pretty big accomplishment.

I have to say, the possible showdown between Dusty and the Sea Furies could be the best racing of the week. Sure, Jay and Stevo will be cool to watch, but they will be WAY up the road from the rest of the field. If this Kiwi Yak turns out to be fast as well, it could be some epic racing.

We need Steadfast, Dusty, and Mr Frew to all race. Throw in the R2000 powered Yak that was supposed to race last year, a heard of Yaks in the Silver could be fun to watch.

Will

Comment

Speaking of Yak's check out this one mowing the runway markings. I wonder if they cut the video just before it got exciting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk6dnQTiIuA
                      Random Air Blog

Comment

The Kiwi Yak is currently having a new Allison built Stateside, and the current Allison in the airframe is owned by a syndicate who are restoring a Yak-9V here in NZ, The Syndicate's Alli will be removed, and the airplane crated and sent stateside where it will get the new heart and taken to Reno, hopefully for PRS.
                        The Classic Fighters Airshow was the last of the major shows for the season here in NZ, and it was mentioned that once the Yak got back to Auckland work was going to begin prepping to take it apart and put it in a container for the Reno trip

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
                          The Kiwi Yak is currently having a new Allison built Stateside, and the current Allison in the airframe is owned by a syndicate who are restoring a Yak-9V here in NZ, The Syndicate's Alli will be removed, and the airplane crated and sent stateside where it will get the new heart and taken to Reno, hopefully for PRS.
                          The Classic Fighters Airshow was the last of the major shows for the season here in NZ, and it was mentioned that once the Yak got back to Auckland work was going to begin prepping to take it apart and put it in a container for the Reno trip
                          Would this be a "race prepped"Alli being built here
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Yes thats right race fans, NZ Yak-3 owner Graeme Frew has announced his intentions to bring his Yak-3U all the way from NZ to attend PRS and hopefully race at Reno in the Unlimiteds this year.
                            The Yak itself is returning to Reno, as this particular airplane was the new build Yak 3U originally for Tiger Destafani as N74TF/N73TF before it was damaged in a take off accident in 1997.
                            The yak was restored in NZ by JEM aviation at the historic Omaka airfield, where it was also modified as a 2 seater, and is now available in NZ for Warbird Experience rides.
                            Here she is at Classic Fighters Omaka 2017
                            CF17-SA37 by Hayden Himburg, on Flickr
                            CF17-SA32 by Hayden Himburg, on Flickr
                            This years star of the show.... Steadfast
                            CF17-F2 by Hayden Himburg, on Flickr
                            CF17-F29 by Hayden Himburg, on Flickr
                            CF17-F5 by Hayden Himburg, on Flickr
                            REALLY nice work! I love it once you took out the overlay copyright! I hate image thieves too, but it's nice when we don't feel we have to adulterate our work and can find a compromise!
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Looks like they still have shares available if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH-s6XCigas
                              Random Air Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X