Thunderbird In Flight Promotion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunderbird In Flight Promotion

Not air racing but I thought this was pretty cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xVpQ2fsBIk
    Random Air Blog

Re: Thunderbird In Flight Promotion

VERY cool! God Bless Them... Thanks for sharing
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I noticed in the video that the slot is a two seater. Lately every time I see the Thunderbirds fly two seaters they always have a center line tank. Is the fuel capacity reduced that much by the second seat?
      Last edited by Reever; 04-27-2017, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
        I noticed in the video that the slot is a two seater. Every I see the Thunderbirds fly two seaters they always have a center line tank. Is the fuel capacity reduced that much by the second seat?
        I could be very wrong and/or telling things you already know, but the 2 seater is obviously the plane they give the promotional rides in. It's also the jet that shows up to the site first (usually wednesday). It flies alone so it probably uses that tank instead of the KC-135 that the rest of the team use to fuel up mid flight. They use the 2 seater as a back up in the formation and might just not take the fuel tank off for the performance.
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
          I could be very wrong and/or telling things you already know, but the 2 seater is obviously the plane they give the promotional rides in. It's also the jet that shows up to the site first (usually wednesday). It flies alone so it probably uses that tank instead of the KC-135 that the rest of the team use to fuel up mid flight. They use the 2 seater as a back up in the formation and might just not take the fuel tank off for the performance.
          That makes sense.

Comment

Well, if I have a question and I keep my eyes open, I'll get my answer. The reason the "D" model is being used in more performances is because the Thunderbird aircraft are under going "SLEP". Service Life Extension Program. With scheduled maintenance, sometimes they have six or seven aircraft at a show site with a total fleet of 11.

With the hours the Thunderbirds put on the air frames, their aircraft are kinda used as test beds for modifications.

Comment

Working...
            X