Best Reno news of 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Reno news of 2017

It sounds like (in the rumor mill) that RARA will go back to the old method of course calculations. Measured pylon to pylon, the way it should be. Those who have been around for a while should understand why this is so important....

I hope they feel like those few newspaper articles in 2003 were worth it ...

- Joseph

Re: Best Reno news of 2017

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
    It sounds like (in the rumor mill) that RARA will go back to the old method of course calculations. Measured pylon to pylon, the way it should be. Those who have been around for a while should understand why this is so important....

I hope they feel like those few newspaper articles in 2003 were worth it ...

- Joseph
    Can you explain this more? When did this get changed?
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

It is indeed under consideration. More to come...
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

"Measured pylon to pylon, the way it should be."

As opposed to what? With minimal arrogance, would someone kindly care to explain why this is important, please, even for those of us that have been around for a while?

Comment

Beginning in 2003, RARA elected to alter the calculation of course distance according to "Optimum Race Path," an approximation of the actual path flown by planes at race speed. This adjustment resulted in a greater mathematical course length without changing the physical distance from pylon to pylon. Ultimately, this results in higher calculated/published speeds. Many hold the opinion that the change was made to generate greater interest and media buzz for record speeds and the 500 mph unlimited landmark. Long time fans and historians have been critical of the adjustment because it makes year-to-year comparisons exceedingly difficult. Moreover, never in the history of air racing (or other motorsports for that matter) have such adjustments been applied. Point-to-point measurement is the standard.
          Last edited by Wingnut; 03-03-2017, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingnut View Post
            Beginning in 2004, RARA elected to alter the calculation of course distance according to "Optimum Race Path," an approximation of the actual path flown by planes at race speed. This adjustment resulted in a greater mathematical course length without changing the physical distance from pylon to pylon. Ultimately, this results in higher calculated/published speeds. Many hold the opinion that the change was made to generate greater interest and media buzz for record speeds and the 500 mph unlimited landmark. Long time fans and historians have been critical of the adjustment because it makes year-to-year comparisons exceedingly difficult. Moreover, never in the history of air racing (or other motorsports for that matter) have such adjustments been applied. Point-to-point measurement is the standard.
            So if this happens every plane is going to be "slower"? If that makes it so the jet class can go a little faster without breaking the "speed limit" I think that's pretty sweet. Maybe one day the UNL's will be fast as the jets LOL

Only thing is that will make Strega's qual and Dago's race records harder to break. I was hoping Race V might try to do that this year.
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
              So if this happens every plane is going to be "slower"? If that makes it so the jet class can go a little faster without breaking the "speed limit" I think that's pretty sweet....
              Yes, in-fact the Unlimited class would benefit too. Likely some course restrictions could open up, allowing more room (namely height) for racers to pass.

Also, the racing will be more exciting when the mustangs don't just cruise around in the "490's."

A true 500 MPH lap has yet to be recorded... Gives the big iron a target to shoot for again.

The pylons themselves aren't moving. And in fact, the course as is today is pretty good. And efficient. In some respects maybe better than the pre '11 course.

Can't wait for racing!

- Joseph

Comment

Wouldn't Dago's 500+MPH laps in 2003 qualify as "true" 500 MPH speeds?

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Craig View Post
                  Wouldn't Dago's 500+MPH laps in 2003 qualify as "true" 500 MPH speeds?
                  Nope. Fastest one comes in around 498 I believe.

Comment

So are they going to make this retroactive and correct all the fake speeds that have been figured since then? That is the only way this change makes any sense at this point.

Comment

an an unrelated note I am getting on a plane and flying to reno in a few hours for a work thing. This will be the first time (out of 36ish ) that I have ever been in Reno not in september. Not really excited. Hah!

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                        So are they going to make this retroactive and correct all the fake speeds that have been figured since then? That is the only way this change makes any sense at this point.
                        Doubtful. The records set during the "Optimal Race Path" calculation years (2003 to present) were records in their own right, established under the rules that existed at the time through no fault of the race teams. They should stand as is.
                        Owen Ashurst
                        Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                        http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                          an an unrelated note I am getting on a plane and flying to reno in a few hours for a work thing. This will be the first time (out of 36ish ) that I have ever been in Reno not in september. Not really excited. Hah!
                          Bring your skies, some of the best skiing conditions ever!

Comment

One thing to remember is that any speeds after the change will still not be an apples to apples comparison to the "old days". Pylons have been moved since the last time they used pylon to pylon distance to calculate speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                              Bring your skies, some of the best skiing conditions ever!
                              I wish! It's a work thing. Getting wined and dined by Schluter. Touring the plant, etc etc. No free time. They are putting us up at the grand sierra though, so that is nice....

Comment

Working...
                              X