Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Reno news of 2017

Default Best Reno news of 2017

It sounds like (in the rumor mill) that RARA will go back to the old method of course calculations. Measured pylon to pylon, the way it should be. Those who have been around for a while should understand why this is so important....

I hope they feel like those few newspaper articles in 2003 were worth it ...

- Joseph

Default Re: Best Reno news of 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
    It sounds like (in the rumor mill) that RARA will go back to the old method of course calculations. Measured pylon to pylon, the way it should be. Those who have been around for a while should understand why this is so important....

I hope they feel like those few newspaper articles in 2003 were worth it ...

- Joseph
    Can you explain this more? When did this get changed?
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '17

It is indeed under consideration. More to come...
    Air Judge
    Deputy Chief Pylon Judge
    http://airbossone.com
    http://owenashurstphotography.com

"Measured pylon to pylon, the way it should be."

As opposed to what? With minimal arrogance, would someone kindly care to explain why this is important, please, even for those of us that have been around for a while?

Beginning in 2003, RARA elected to alter the calculation of course distance according to "Optimum Race Path," an approximation of the actual path flown by planes at race speed. This adjustment resulted in a greater mathematical course length without changing the physical distance from pylon to pylon. Ultimately, this results in higher calculated/published speeds. Many hold the opinion that the change was made to generate greater interest and media buzz for record speeds and the 500 mph unlimited landmark. Long time fans and historians have been critical of the adjustment because it makes year-to-year comparisons exceedingly difficult. Moreover, never in the history of air racing (or other motorsports for that matter) have such adjustments been applied. Point-to-point measurement is the standard.
    Last edited by Wingnut; 03-03-2017 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    Beginning in 2004, RARA elected to alter the calculation of course distance according to "Optimum Race Path," an approximation of the actual path flown by planes at race speed. This adjustment resulted in a greater mathematical course length without changing the physical distance from pylon to pylon. Ultimately, this results in higher calculated/published speeds. Many hold the opinion that the change was made to generate greater interest and media buzz for record speeds and the 500 mph unlimited landmark. Long time fans and historians have been critical of the adjustment because it makes year-to-year comparisons exceedingly difficult. Moreover, never in the history of air racing (or other motorsports for that matter) have such adjustments been applied. Point-to-point measurement is the standard.
    So if this happens every plane is going to be "slower"? If that makes it so the jet class can go a little faster without breaking the "speed limit" I think that's pretty sweet. Maybe one day the UNL's will be fast as the jets LOL

Only thing is that will make Strega's qual and Dago's race records harder to break. I was hoping Race V might try to do that this year.
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '17

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    So if this happens every plane is going to be "slower"? If that makes it so the jet class can go a little faster without breaking the "speed limit" I think that's pretty sweet....
    Yes, in-fact the Unlimited class would benefit too. Likely some course restrictions could open up, allowing more room (namely height) for racers to pass.

Also, the racing will be more exciting when the mustangs don't just cruise around in the "490's."

A true 500 MPH lap has yet to be recorded... Gives the big iron a target to shoot for again.

The pylons themselves aren't moving. And in fact, the course as is today is pretty good. And efficient. In some respects maybe better than the pre '11 course.

Can't wait for racing!

- Joseph

Wouldn't Dago's 500+MPH laps in 2003 qualify as "true" 500 MPH speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Craig View Post
    Wouldn't Dago's 500+MPH laps in 2003 qualify as "true" 500 MPH speeds?
    Nope. Fastest one comes in around 498 I believe.

So are they going to make this retroactive and correct all the fake speeds that have been figured since then? That is the only way this change makes any sense at this point.