Forgotten Sea Fury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgotten Sea Fury

Anybody know anything about this airplane? Was it ever raced? This picture is from Oshkosh, 1990. Notice the wonderful light of a grey Wisconsin morning.

This Sea Fury is far from being forgotten. This was a Bagdad Fury built by non other then George Baker. It was sold several years back to John Bagley and raced as Southern Cross several years at Reno. John traded this aircraft and some money to Frank Boreman for his P63. The aircraft has sat for a year or so at CJK Aircraft sales in Camarillo CA. It has just been sold to a customer in Kansas City whom plans on racing her in a year or two after checking out in his new mount.

Comment

Thanks for the info. It will be nice to see another racer join the fray.

Comment

Gee-Bee's Sky Fury

Let's not forget that George raced the "Sky Fury" at the Dallas races in 1990, and won the Bronze race with it.

Comment

Where is it at in Kansas City? I cried when John sold the Southern Cross but living in KC I may see it more often now!

MattB

Comment

Rumour is that Sky Fury/Southern Cross is among a whole bevy of 3350 powered Furies undergoing maintenance and/or repair with Ezell Aviation right at the moment.

Comment

well.... maybe i will have to fly out to the texas skunk works tomarrow and just find out if this is true......
              bob burns
              ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
              "dont mess with texas"

Comment

George Baker

Vey nice airplane...
                Attached Files

Comment

George Baker

Dallas 1990... George taxis in after the Bronze Race -- followed by Wiley Sanders in the big Skyraider.

Neal
                  Attached Files

Comment

George also raced at Denver in 1990...
                    Attached Files

Comment

A Baghdad Fury with folding wings???
                      Attached Files

Comment

For Denver and for Reno he had to add a 1 to his number as another Racer carried 71...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Re: Forgotten Sea Fury

Just thought I'd bring this thread to the top of the posts, in case Mr. Patterson has not seen it.

Neal

Comment

I appreciate it, as I had not seen this thread.

Obviously, the people on this board know as much (and more) about my airplane than I do.

After I bought the plane from Frank Borman (who took it on trade from John Bagley in exchange for the P-39 and some cash) Matt Jackson flew it from Camarillo to Ezell Aviation in Breckenridge, TX. Of course, it broke down on the way requiring new high tension leads and plugs. Welcome to Reno race planes, Mr. Patterson. Now, get out the checkbook.

"Southern Cross" will be back, better than ever. George Baker did a wonderful job on the initial restoration and it's time to put this fine airplane back into racing form.

Now, everyone knows that a stock Sea Fury with a 3350 isn't going to win, or even compete for the gold. But, there's always the silver. I bet there's some Mustang guys who are wishing I'd not bought this plane.

This year, though, is all about supporting Stew Dawson in "Spirit of Texas". Just wait until you see his new paint job. No more kangaroos on this Sea Fury! (and maybe a few more surprises).

Don't be a stranger this year at Reno. Be sure and introduce yourself, and let me buy you a drink at the pylon bar. After all, that's what being the rookie is all about.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                              A Baghdad Fury with folding wings???
                              George used parts from a Mk. 20 (D-CACA) to add folding wings and make this Baghdad Fury a true, FB Mk. 11 Sea Fury.

Comment

Working...
                              X