X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blue skies, Kerch!

Mark your calendars! - Update on services for Bill:

There will not be any public funeral services for Bill. However, Kerch's family would like to invite all of the aviation community, race fans, and friends to a public memorial and celebration of his life on Saturday, December 10th at Hollister Airport between 11:00am and 5:00pm at the Elks Lodge (which is onsite). There will be some reflections and presentations on Bill's life, air race memorabilia, and a flyover (weather permitting). In short, we're going to celebrate Bill's life in a big way!

Hollister airport (KCVH) has two large runways and can accommodate most aircraft, including private jets. There are a number of other local airports (SJC and MRY) which have flights in and out. Hopefully a few warbirds and racers will show up Wink

More specific details will be released in the coming week and there will be a website to RSVP for planning purposes, so stay tuned for more updates. We'll also have a way to submit photos for possible inclusion in a slide show.

Michael

Comment

Thank you Michael, I will do my very best to be there.
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thought I'd put up this link as a reminder of what's possible when plane, pilot and crew come together. This is the record-setting race from 2003:

At the Reno Air Races on September 12, 2003 Dago Red with Skip Holm at the controls broke the 500 MPH barrier with a race record speed of 507.105 and a faste...

"Dago, beginning lap 2, you are plus one. Telemetry is good.."

Blue skies Mr. Kerchenfaut. You were the best.
        Mark Johnson
        Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Heart breaking to hear, God Bless and R.I.P. Kerch. You were so much to so many over all those wonderful years.
          Ron

Comment

Details for Kerch's memorial/celebration of life are finalized. Aptly named "Kerch's Last Crew Meeting", attendees are invited to wear their crew apparel from teams which Bill was a part of.

It will be held at the Elks Lodge at Hollister Municipal Airport (KCVH), 351 Astro Drive, Hollister, CA 95023 on Saturday, December 10th from 11am-5pm.

Further details are in the attached flyer and link. We're asking people to RSVP so that proper accommodations can be made for the number of attendees. We do believe the event will be well attended. Please spread the word about the event.

RSVP here: www.goo.gl/RuUDQ5

Any further information/updates will be posted as necessary.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kerch_last_crew_meeting.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	228428

Michael

Comment

In my nearly 40 years of air racing, Kerch stood out as the most talented and friendly person I knew. When Dago wound down, he alone arranged for the fan group I was in to receive real team jackets with out names and "Dago Dogs" on them. Mine is my most prized possession. He always had time to talk and laugh with anyone who approached him. To call him a "special" person is a monumental understatement.
              Our world is a much diminished place without him in it.
              God bless you Kerch, from all of us to whom you meant so much!

Comment

Originally posted by kenf View Post
                In my nearly 40 years of air racing, Kerch stood out as the most talented and friendly person I knew. When Dago wound down, he alone arranged for the fan group I was in to receive real team jackets with out names and "Dago Dogs" on them. Mine is my most prized possession. He always had time to talk and laugh with anyone who approached him. To call him a "special" person is a monumental understatement.
                Our world is a much diminished place without him in it.
                God bless you Kerch, from all of us to whom you meant so much!
                This should say "with our names" not "with out names".

Comment

Was an honor to get to know the man...It will always be one of my life's best memories
                  Attached Files

Comment

Anyone with candid photos of Kerch are encouraged to submit them to Tom Smothermon for possible inclusion in a slide show for the memorial. Send them to: tomsmothermon (at) gmail.com. Files should be high quality (1024 x 768 or greater and approximately 1-2mb in size is sufficient).

We're also putting together a video comprised of moments from Kerch's life. Thus, I am looking for video clips of Kerch at Reno, in the hangar, at work, working on racers, etc that celebrate his life. Send me a private message if you have anything to contribute.

Note: We're especially looking for any pre-Strega day videos (Crocker, Sherm Cooper, Greenamer.etc)

Thanks!

Michael
                    Last edited by Mluvara; 11-17-2016, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                      1968-69 Conquest I -- 3km speed record

1969 Bud Fountain Bearcat

1970-71 Miss Merced -- 1970 California 1000, 1971 United States Cup

1973 Oogahonk Special

1974 Tipsy Miss

1976-85 Sumthin' Else -- 1979 Reno

1986-97 Strega -- 1987 Reno, 1990 Denver, 1992 Denver, 1992 Reno, 1993 Reno, 1993 Kansas City, 1995 Reno, 1996 Reno, 1997 Reno

1998-04 Dago Red -- 1998 Reno, 1999 Reno, 2000 Reno, 2002 Reno, 2003 Reno

2004-08 September Fury -- 2006 Reno

2009-15 Voodoo -- 2013 Reno, 2014 Reno
                      Hey big jim,
                      I am working on a presentation for Bill's Celebration of Life. You mentioned 2 planes here that I need more info on " Tipsy Miss" and "Oogahonk Special" can you enlighten me?
                      Thanks Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by pitgirl View Post
                        Hey big jim,
                        I am working on a presentation for Bill's Celebration of Life. You mentioned 2 planes here that I need more info on " Tipsy Miss" and "Oogahonk Special" can you enlighten me?
                        Thanks Kelly
                        The Oogahonk Special was a P-51 owned by Jerry Brassfield and flown by Bob Love. Race 97. Clipped wings, racing canopy. Silver with black trim. Dwight Thorn was the engine builder/crew chief on it, and invited Kerch to work on it with him for the 1973 races at Reno and Mojave. I think this was the first pairing of the dynamic duo.

Tipsy Miss was a P-63 King Cobra owned by Jack Sandberg and flown by Lefty Gardner. Race 28. International orange with white letters and numbers. Clipped wings and an alcohol-burning engine (hence the name). Kerch moved back to Minneapolis to work on the plane, and helped experiment with turbocharging the Allison. He only spent one season with Sandberg (Reno and Mojave '74), and then quit. Sandberg was a tinkerer and for a guy like Kerch who was rigid and structured, that constant tinkering was too much.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                          The Oogahonk Special was a P-51 owned by Jerry Brassfield and flown by Bob Love. Race 97. Clipped wings, racing canopy. Silver with black trim. Dwight Thorn was the engine builder/crew chief on it, and invited Kerch to work on it with him for the 1973 races at Reno and Mojave. I think this was the first pairing of the dynamic duo.

Tipsy Miss was a P-63 King Cobra owned by Jack Sandberg and flown by Lefty Gardner. Race 28. International orange with white letters and numbers. Clipped wings and an alcohol-burning engine (hence the name). Kerch moved back to Minneapolis to work on the plane, and helped experiment with turbocharging the Allison. He only spent one season with Sandberg (Reno and Mojave '74), and then quit. Sandberg was a tinkerer and for a guy like Kerch who was rigid and structured, that constant tinkering was too much.

Thank you so much! Be good to yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
                            We're also putting together a video comprised of moments from Kerch's life. Thus, I am looking for video clips of Kerch at Reno, in the hangar, at work, working on racers, etc that celebrate his life.
                            I hope this will be posted at some point? For those of us who can't be there.
                            Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                              I hope this will be posted at some point? For those of us who can't be there.
                              Will see. Have to work with those submitting videos for permission.

Michael

Comment

Just a reminder that RSVP's for Kerch's Memorial "Last Crew Meeting" are requested by Nov 28th for planning purposes. Lunch will be served, so we need to have an accurate head count by Nov 28th. Thanks! RSVP here: http://www.goo.gl/RuUDQ5

Comment

Working...
                                X