This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue skies, Kerch!

Friends, I regret to inform you that around 12:10am this morning (California time), our beloved friend and air race crew chief Bill Kerchenfaut made his final flight after suffering a stroke on Tuesday.

I will update everyone if I have any more information regarding any future memorials,etc. At this time, please keep him, his family, and his friends in prayer and remember the smiling little guy with a screwdriver in his pocket who did so much for others and air racing!

We'll miss you Bill! :'(

Michael

Click image for larger version

Name:	kerch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	242104

Re: Blue skies, Kerch!

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
    Friends, I regret to inform you that around 12:10am this morning (California time), our beloved friend and air race crew chief Bill Kerchenfaut made his final flight after suffering a stroke on Tuesday.

I will update everyone if I have any more information regarding any future memorials,etc. At this time, please keep him, his family, and his friends in prayer and remember the smiling little guy with a screwdriver in his pocket who did so much for others and air racing!

We'll miss you Bill! :'(

Michael

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22566[/ATTACH]
    Huge loss for air racing! What a legend. Fair winds Mr. Kerchenfaut.

Comment

A true legend of air racing. He will be missed by many.

Blue skies Mr Kerch.

Comment

We lost one of the greatest. Prayers for family and friends. I'm not sure the impact that Kerch made on air racing can even be measured it was so great.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
          I'm not sure the impact that Kerch made on air racing can even be measured it was so great.
          1968-69 Conquest I -- 3km speed record

1969 Bud Fountain Bearcat

1970-71 Miss Merced -- 1970 California 1000, 1971 United States Cup

1973 Oogahonk Special

1974 Tipsy Miss

1976-85 Sumthin' Else -- 1979 Reno

1986-97 Strega -- 1987 Reno, 1990 Denver, 1992 Denver, 1992 Reno, 1993 Reno, 1993 Kansas City, 1995 Reno, 1996 Reno, 1997 Reno

1998-04 Dago Red -- 1998 Reno, 1999 Reno, 2000 Reno, 2002 Reno, 2003 Reno

2004-08 September Fury -- 2006 Reno

2009-15 Voodoo -- 2013 Reno, 2014 Reno
          Last edited by Big_Jim; 11-11-2016, 09:17 AM.

Comment

One of the best over the years. He always had time to talk to the many air race fans. "Blue Skies" Kerch.
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

He will be missed. It must be airshow season in heaven...Hoover needed a crew chief.

Comment

When I read the blue skies threads, I always get a lump in my throat as I read down to see who has left us. Sometimes, that lump goes all the way to the pit of my deepest parts... this is one of them!

This game aint the same without Kerch!

I will miss you always!
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Kerch was the "Man"

He will be missed greatly.

I'm betting that some Angels already have ADI.....................

Godspeed Bill (And I'm thinking that is a lot faster now)

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                    Kerch was the "Man"

He will be missed greatly.

I'm betting that some Angels already have ADI.....................

Godspeed Bill (And I'm thinking that is a lot faster now)
                    I have to share this moment with Bill from Tuesday when he was first admitted to the hospital. He was ornery as ever and trying to rip the IV out of his arm. I looked at him, tapped the IV location and said something to the effect of: "Bill, that's your ADI. You need that to keep your systems happy. Remember, the systems are important. You've always said that". Then, when he was trying to rip a sensor off of his finger (he succeeded once) I said "Bill, that's your telemetry sensor. Telemetry is Green. Leave it alone". He looked at me, smirked and threw his head back.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
                      I have to share this moment with Bill from Tuesday when he was first admitted to the hospital. He was ornery as ever and trying to rip the IV out of his arm. I looked at him, tapped the IV location and said something to the effect of: "Bill, that's your ADI. You need that to keep your systems happy. Remember, the systems are important. You've always said that". Then, when he was trying to rip a sensor off of his finger (he succeeded once) I said "Bill, that's your telemetry sensor. Telemetry is Green. Leave it alone". He looked at me, smirked and threw his head back.

Michael
                      Michael, thank you for sharing one of Kerch's last moments! I'm so glad that you were there for him!

No question, things up there are going to get a lot faster!
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I know Jeff would not mind sharing this photo again here.. one of the best Kerch photos ever!

Click image for larger version

Name:	122002-160.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	228425
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                          I'm not sure the impact that Kerch made on air racing can even be measured it was so great.
                          Blue skies to a true legend. R.I.P.

Comment

I miss him already. One of the nicest people I've ever met. Always took the time to talk to a fan and always made that fan feel like friend. A genuine nice guy. Blue skies, Kerch. Heaven just got a new head wrench.
                            You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Bill's telemetry was always green. We knew each other 40 years as friends with me as his student and gushing fan. It was always straight talk about relationships, milestones and current developments. We were to have dinner a couple of weeks ago but it rained. Then it was going to be this last week but moved to next Tuesday. Don't ever wait or let a little rain get in the way.

He cared for me, my family and even my health. Few other friends followed my health trials with such concern for my welfare. If that cranky old dude (younger than me) wasn't a full on friend, then who could have been?

Miss him? Yes. Like a brother.

ps thanks Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X