OT: P-38 blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: P-38 blades

I am a constant lurker on the board here and haven't had much reason to post in a couple of years, until now. I have recently acquired some aircraft parts that included a set of 3 P-38 blades, DWG. NO. 88996-18. I was told that 2 of the blades spent many years/decades as a windmill in a farm somewhere and the third blade was just laying around. As you can see in the pictures, the hub the blades were mated to was severely rusted and took a while to disassemble.

While I am an avid air race fan, I don't have any knowledge in this area. I am hoping somebody here could answer some of my questions:

1. Is there any chance the blades could still be air worthy? I don't see any major damage other than the corrosion build up where the blades were mounted.

3. I also have 2 carburetors, from Cal Fire S-2s. These have green tags, but I am not sure what that means in the aircraft world. I assume they can be overhauled and returned to service?

2. Lastly, 1 have 3-1820 cylinder heads that were from Cal Fire S-2s. At least that is what I was told. These do not have any green tags, so can they not be made airworthy? I am not sure what to do with them.

I thank you all for taking the time to read my post and hopefully somebody out there can assist.

Brewski
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brewski; 10-26-2016, 06:16 AM.
    Brewski

Re: OT: P-38 blades

Green tag typically means it's serviceable part. As far as the blades, they look bad to me, but I'm no expert. If they are P-38 blades and are usable, they would be worth a lot of money, especially if they're blades for the left side. I would try to get the pictures to an expert, perhaps Steve Hinton and go from there.

Comment

Carbs are good. Blades are junk but make nice display pieces if cleaned up., and the cylinders make good lamp bases.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
        Carbs are good. Blades are junk but make nice display pieces if cleaned up., and the cylinders make good lamp bases.
        Hey Race 5,

Thank you for your comment. Are the cylinders not usable because of condition or because they don't have the green tag?

Brewski
        Brewski

Comment

Hey Brewski,

I sent you a PM.

Comment

Working...
          X