• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bob Hoover

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
    "Gentleman, YOU have a race."

This is kicking my ass right now.
    Don't let it! Instead, celebrate where Mr. Hoover gets to go! Can you even imagine the company he gets to keep now?

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Can you smile and cry at the same time?
      Can you even comprehend what he did in his life?
      He was simply the best in every way.

Comment

Thanks for the years as one of the best. Blue Skies Sir Hoover. I still have his "Sky Fire" VHS.
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

From the RARA Webpage

Comment

The first airshow I ever attended was with my grand parents at Castle Air Force Base in the late 50's, and yes, Bob Hoover was there in his P-51. Had the chance to talk to him a couple years ago at the Planes of Fame airshow and I mentioned seeing him fly back then, he remembered it and remembered the year, which I still can't recall. I don't read many books, but did read his last year. A Pilots, Pilot, and true master of the air. Always enjoyed watching him, because of his smoothness. Blue Sky's Mr Hoover.

Comment

What a life. It's certainly rare that someone that good, doing all the things he did, should live so long. He certainly was the right man for that job. Good show, Mr. Hoover. One last thanks for the memories.

I was just sent this pic the other day. It would seem appropriate...
              Attached Files
              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

An absolute legend! His autobiography "Forever Flying" is by far the best biography I have ever read.

I'm too young to have taken any photos of him flying, but I did get to see Ole Yeller fly with John Bagley last year in Oshkosh. Still pretty magical to see that airplane in person.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                  Don't let it! Instead, celebrate where Mr. Hoover gets to go! Can you even imagine the company he gets to keep now?

Yes, for sure. They are complicated feelings. Hard to put into words. When something great leaves this world, it makes me look around for new great things and notice the lack of them. The situations and circumstances that lead to some one like Mr Hoover wont ever occur again. The ability to shine so greatly is so much reduced in this day and age.

We can have talents like Lewis Hamilton , but we will never have another Mario Andretti (we still have him I know!)

Hoover touched and had impact on so many aspects of aviation. His actions as a pace/safety plane probably saved more lives then we will ever know. I am certain Yeager found comfort in knowing he was up there with him as well.

But that is just part of this mans legacy. So much more. Some of you might not know that he escaped a POW camp in WWII, Then STOLE an FW-190 and flew it back to allied territory? Can anyone even begin to imagine what that must of felt like when he knew he had done it?

Being at Reno as a small boy every year, I could call out the easier to identify planes, and maybe get some pilots names in there, but I ALWAYS, ALWAYS knew that yellow spec was Bob Hoover. 94 years is a long time. 94 years to burn as brightly as he could. I would gladly only spend half that time here if I knew I could touch the sky like he did.

We die two deaths in this world. Once when your spirit leaves your body, and the second time the last person says your name. His legacy will be with us for as long as we look up.

Blue skies and tail winds forever Mr. Hoover.

Comment

very well put
                    bob burns
                    ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
                    "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Not my image, but whoever did this hit the nail on the head:

Anyone know how Bob traveled to his events in the more recent years? Private plane, I would assume, but I like to imagine the looks on airline captain's faces after a flight when they saw Bob getting off their plane

Comment

RIP my friend

I will always treasure our friendship and all the great advice you shared with us.
                        I will miss our freindly talks at the Reno Air Races in your motorhome.
                        I was glad to have been a member of the "Hover Heavers" even though I never pucked in your airplane.
                        I remember how disappointed you were when they took your medical certificate only to remember how happy you were when you got it back and were able to fly in the airshow in Florida.
                        I remember the day you told me you were going to sell "Old Yeller" your beloved P-51 Mustang. I couldn't believe what I was hearing only to see it for sale in person at Cannon Airport in Reno several months later for sale. All the years of flying had finally caught up with his legs damaged several times in crashes that was making it difficult to fly the P-51.

I raise my glass to toast the best stick and rudder man that ever lived!

Thanks for the memories my friend

Comment

Thank you Mr. Hoover for the "Energy Management Sequence", for the Tennessee Waltz and for that part of Lemmon Valley forever known as Hoover Gulch.
                          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Airrace7 View Post
                            All the years of flying had finally caught up with his legs damaged several times in crashes that was making it difficult to fly the P-51.
                            My last 1:1 conversation with Bob was at ICAS many years ago about this very subject. It was after the days events were over and virtually everyone had left already. As I was working my way to the exit I saw Bob still sitting in his booth and I stopped to tell him that I had a "start-up to shut-down" video of his final performance in the P-51 at Reno '97 if he wanted a copy. So we talked about that performance and there were literally wet eyes from him when he said "Brad, I'll tell you...I just wasn't strong enough to do it anymore. I was standing on the rudder pedals as hard as I could and just couldn't do it. That was when I knew it was time to walk away." THIS was the moment for me that the adage of "There are old pilots and bold pilots but no old bold pilots" truly hit home....when someone like Bob Hoover admitted not only to himself but to others that he realized he couldn't cut it anymore.

Comment

This is devastating! Arguably the best I ever saw. The panama hat, the firm handshake, the twinkle in his eyes.......

Blue skies and VFR, Mr. Hoover.

Comment

In my book, Bob was the pilots , pilot. We've seen many great ones over the Years at Reno and other aviation events across the country, in my book he's at the top.

Bob, thanks for all the great memories at Reno. Blue skies and tailwinds you old fart, my son's and I will drink one for you tonight.

This year one of our group wanted to go meet Bob and get his book and have him sign it. We talked about his health afterwards, he seemed to not be his old self. His wife passed away in April this year, bet he was missing her.
                                Ron

Comment

Working...
                                X