White 33 Flies Publicly!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White 33 Flies Publicly!

Haven't seen a thread about this yet, unless I completely missed it?

Anyway, for anyone who didn't know, White 33 flew publicly for the first time yesterday with Steve Hinton at the controls.
    I really like this paint scheme a lot. If I'm not mistaken I think Richard Bong flew a P-38 for a time (before Marge) that had the same blue spinners and shark mouths, it was maybe #10 if memory serves?

White 33's wartime pilot was there as well. There's a good write-up here. http://m.gazette.com/wwii-pilot-101-...rticle/1588022

Tom Fuller photo

Paul Gordon photo

Video from an evening photo flight with Paul Bowen, can't wait to see his photos!
    0 views, 248 likes, 16 loves, 7 comments, 82 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Scott Klaers: One more. From Matt in the back of the B-25
    Last edited by CJAM427; 10-18-2016, 10:14 AM.

Re: White 33 Flies Publicly!

Also this has me wondering about Steve Hinton's impressive log book.
    Has he flown all of the airworthy P-38's?

The ones I know for sure:

White 33 -yes
    Glacier Girl -yes
    23 Skidoo -yes
    Thoughts of Midnight -yes
    Red Bull -yes

Not sure:
    Tangerine
    Scat III (formerly Ruff Stuff)
    Allied Fighters (formerly Honey Bunny)

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
      I was talking with Steve at Reno this year and the conversation worked around to "the kid" I said something like "The Hinton men are all born with 200 hrs in their logbook" he grinned and said.. "more"...

Very cool guy! Cool FAMILY!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Big Steve is da man!! Back on topic: What's the history of this airframe? Shark-teeth reminds me of Levitz's Double Trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
          I was talking with Steve at Reno this year and the conversation worked around to "the kid" I said something like "The Hinton men are all born with 200 hrs in their logbook" he grinned and said.. "more"...

Very cool guy! Cool FAMILY!
          Haha that is awesome! I have yet to meet Steve and when I eventually do, I'm not sure what I'd ask him about first (there's a lot!!).

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
          Big Steve is da man!! Back on topic: What's the history of this airframe? Shark-teeth reminds me of Levitz's Double Trouble.
          Yes he is!! Both are part of this topic as far as I'm concerned. This is the best write-up of its history that I could find. Obviously it needs updating, but it wasn't the easiest restoration to keep tabs on. Seems the owner wanted to keep it under wraps.

Assigned to the 5th Air Force (5th AF) and served in New Guinea until written off in early 1944 and buried at Finschafen Airfield. During late 1999, dug up and exported to Australia then to the United States and restored.

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post

The ones I know for sure:

White 33 -yes
            Glacier Girl -yes
            23 Skidoo -yes
            Thoughts of Midnight -yes
            Red Bull -yes

Not sure:
            Tangerine
            Scat III (formerly Ruff Stuff)
            Allied Fighters (formerly Honey Bunny)
            Seems like I remember an old Air Classics where there is a photo of Steve when he ferried the P-38 before it became "Ruff Stuff" from Chino to the Fagens Museum... Also I believe there is a video of him flying "Honey Bunny" on YouTube where there is a GoPro camera mounted on one of the gun barrels looking back at Steve...
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mkd1966 View Post
              Seems like I remember an old Air Classics where there is a photo of Steve when he ferried the P-38 before it became "Ruff Stuff" from Chino to the Fagens Museum... Also I believe there is a video of him flying "Honey Bunny" on YouTube where there is a GoPro camera mounted on one of the gun barrels looking back at Steve...
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                Wow, what a way to start a day. That video was great.

The sound of a P38 idling is just amazing, the ultimate hot rod.

Thanks for sharing, added that to my Youtube favorites aviation folder.

Comment

I'll second that! Fantastic video!!

Thanks for the info Mike! So the only one in question would be Tangerine.

Comment

Another airworthy P-38! The reason I went to my first Reno was because they were going to have that big gathering of almost all the airworthy P-38's. Unfortunately that fell through, but seeing air racing for the first time was still epic.
                    Random Air Blog

Comment

Working...
                    X