Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RARA Thank You Letter in Todays Reno Gazette 10/15 By Mike Crowell

Air Races offers its thanks

As the Reno Air Racing Association (RARA) continues to wrap up the 2016 National Championship Air Races, we wanted to take a moment to thank all of you for your support and your ongoing dedication to preserving this one-of-akind treasure.

In the last few years, RARA has made great strides and I am pleased to announce that we are on solid financial footing — in fact, we are on track to turn a profit again in 2016. We couldn’t have done it without the support of our community.

This is an exciting time for RARA but, naturally, it is important to recall the lessons learned. Let me be clear: Getting here was not easy. We made difficult decisions to cut back and keep the Air Races alive. I know some of these decisions were unpopular, but we firmly believe that changes had to be made in order for us to continue togrow.

As you are no doubt aware, racing airplanes isn’t easy. It’s hard work, both financially and physically. This year, several pilots were unable to join us for one reason or another. Tiger Destefani was unable to get sponsorship and, as a result, didn’t race Strega. For personal reasons, Rod Lewis chose to stand Rare Bear down. These were tough decisions for both pilots, but we look forward to welcoming them back next year.

This year, there were incredible sights and sounds to be seen and heard by our crowd. We watched the Blue Angels take flight and were impressed as new records were set in T-6 qualifying. Congratulations to all the pilots who raced this year. You made for a magnificent week!

For the first time ever, we held free concerts after the last race on Friday and Saturday night. Based on the turnout, we intend to make these concerts a yearly event. Working with our partners at UNR, we expanded the drone zone and held mini-drone races for the first time. Pathways to Aviation hosted thousands of school children who learned about drones, experienced flight simulations and listened to educational speeches. Thank you to Warren Rapp and Pathways for your work this year.

I would be remiss if I did not mention that we welcomed Stihl to the Air Race family as a presenting sponsor this year. Stihl again helped us partner with NBC Sports to produce three onehour shows. Keep an eye on our social media for when the shows will air. We truly enjoyed working with Stihl and we look forward to a long relationship.

Finally, we have begun to look toward online pilot registration and changes in A/V equipment. We are also exploring the possibility of having an app and a new website. Simply put, the National Championship Air Races are going to continue to get bigger and better.

Thank you again for your dedicated support. We will see you next September.

Mike Crowell is president and CEO of the Reno Air Racing Association.

ONE VIEW

MIKE CROWELL

Re: RARA Thank You Letter in Todays Reno Gazette 10/15 By Mike Crowell

Well, that is VERY encouraging news. Maybe the racers in limbo (Dago, 232, Furias) will see some renewed interest with the racers achieving some stability.

Comment

Working...
    X