Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sport Glass Gold Kitplanes Article

Default Sport Glass Gold Kitplanes Article

http://kitplanes2.com/blog/2016/09/sport-gold-final/

LeVelle ran away with another one this year! I am curious why no one has built another Glasair to challenge him?

Default Re: Sport Glass Gold Kitplanes Article

Good stuff!

Up until now, all the Turbo'd racing Legacy racers have been Continental powered, correct?

But now we have two nearing completion that aren't. Tom's Twin Turbo Lycoming monster, and Karl Grove's Titan TIO-540 beast. Should be interesting... Add to the mix the innovations on #33, and certainly Seguin at the stick again next year. Could be very interesting!

- Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
    Up until now, all the Turbo'd racing Legacy racers have been Continental powered, correct?
    I am curious if anyone can confirm this? It will be interesting the see what the Legacy airframe can do with a Lycoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    I am curious if anyone can confirm this? It will be interesting the see what the Legacy airframe can do with a Lycoming.
    Not true. All three NXTs have been turbo powered. John Parker tried supercharging. Gary Mead's (RIP) airplane has turbos. there was another Glasair a few years ago that had turbos too.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiacub View Post
    Not true. All three NXTs have been turbo powered. John Parker tried supercharging. Gary Mead's (RIP) airplane has turbos. there was another Glasair a few years ago that had turbos too.
    Um, what? The discussion is about Continental vs Lycoming engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
    Good stuff!

But now we have two nearing completion that aren't. Tom's Twin Turbo Lycoming monster, and Karl Grove's Titan TIO-540 beast. Should be interesting... Add to the mix the innovations on #33, and certainly Seguin at the stick again next year. Could be very interesting!

- Joseph
    I think all have been Continental powered up to this point. Kevin had a turbo 6 cyl built a couple years ago that blew up before it ever made it to Reno. That one might have been a Lycoming. I'll have to go back and look.

Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    Um, what? The discussion is about Continental vs Lycoming engines.
    Well, all the NXTs and the turboed Glasairs were Lycomings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by georgiacub View Post
    Well, all the NXTs and the turboed Glasairs were Lycomings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just remembered there was another NXT that raced at Reno for a total of 4. That would be the Frog NXT, powered by a diesel.

How did this topic go toward NXT?

We're talking about Lancair...

I legitimately had a dream about this last night, I was trying to figure how to help Team One Moment (Race 30) keep their engine cool. I don't think I came up with a solution haha. What's different with the Lycoming that makes it seem more reliable than the Continental?

I am very excited to see what Tom's Lycoming powered Legacy can do!
    Last edited by CJAM427; 10-11-2016 at 10:34 AM.