Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport Glass Gold Kitplanes Article

http://kitplanes2.com/blog/2016/09/sport-gold-final/

LeVelle ran away with another one this year! I am curious why no one has built another Glasair to challenge him?
    Random Air Blog

Re: Sport Glass Gold Kitplanes Article

Good stuff!

Up until now, all the Turbo'd racing Legacy racers have been Continental powered, correct?

But now we have two nearing completion that aren't. Tom's Twin Turbo Lycoming monster, and Karl Grove's Titan TIO-540 beast. Should be interesting... Add to the mix the innovations on #33, and certainly Seguin at the stick again next year. Could be very interesting!

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
      Up until now, all the Turbo'd racing Legacy racers have been Continental powered, correct?
      I am curious if anyone can confirm this? It will be interesting the see what the Legacy airframe can do with a Lycoming.
      Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
        I am curious if anyone can confirm this? It will be interesting the see what the Legacy airframe can do with a Lycoming.
        Not true. All three NXTs have been turbo powered. John Parker tried supercharging. Gary Mead's (RIP) airplane has turbos. there was another Glasair a few years ago that had turbos too.

Comment

Originally posted by georgiacub View Post
          Not true. All three NXTs have been turbo powered. John Parker tried supercharging. Gary Mead's (RIP) airplane has turbos. there was another Glasair a few years ago that had turbos too.
          Um, what? The discussion is about Continental vs Lycoming engines.

Comment

Good stuff!

But now we have two nearing completion that aren't. Tom's Twin Turbo Lycoming monster, and Karl Grove's Titan TIO-540 beast. Should be interesting... Add to the mix the innovations on #33, and certainly Seguin at the stick again next year. Could be very interesting!

- Joseph
            I think all have been Continental powered up to this point. Kevin had a turbo 6 cyl built a couple years ago that blew up before it ever made it to Reno. That one might have been a Lycoming. I'll have to go back and look.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
              Um, what? The discussion is about Continental vs Lycoming engines.
              Well, all the NXTs and the turboed Glasairs were Lycomings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well, all the NXTs and the turboed Glasairs were Lycomings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                I just remembered there was another NXT that raced at Reno for a total of 4. That would be the Frog NXT, powered by a diesel.

Comment

How did this topic go toward NXT?

We're talking about Lancair...

Comment

I legitimately had a dream about this last night, I was trying to figure how to help Team One Moment (Race 30) keep their engine cool. I don't think I came up with a solution haha. What's different with the Lycoming that makes it seem more reliable than the Continental?

I am very excited to see what Tom's Lycoming powered Legacy can do!
                    Last edited by CJAM427; 10-11-2016, 09:34 AM.

Comment

How did this topic go toward NXT?

We're talking about Lancair...
                      Excuse me then. I didn't realize you wanted to limit the scope of gained information?

The engine that blew up on Kevin was a Continental.

Do you not want to know about the Patey brothers and their Turbo charged Lycoming powered Legacy either. It has flown in Sport Air Racing League races. But since that isn't Reno I guess it can't provide information as to performance?
                      Last edited by georgiacub; 10-11-2016, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I asked "Up until now, all the Turbo'd racing Legacy racers have been Continental powered, correct?"

And you replied..

No harm no foul.. I was just referring back to the initial question.

- Joseph

Comment

Good stuff!

- Joseph
                          Yes, as far as I know, up until Tom's twin turbo Lycoming, all of the turbo Legacy's have been Continental powered and the turbo NXT's and turbo Glasair III's have been Lycoming powered, except for Kevin's NXT with a GTSIO-520 Continental which did not race a Reno. One turbo Continental powered Legacy was utilizing fuel injection system components adapted from a Lycoming.

Deep Enough

Comment

Since air racing does see a few engine related mayday pull-ups, I'm surprised nobody tried the porsche turbo flat six.

Once you go racing, reliability as compared to stock suffers greatly.

They are twin plug head engines and we rarely rebuilt ours in a porsche 935 that accumulated 60,000 racing miles about half of which were at 750hp.

I understand the "it's a car engine" guys will chime in but what's limiting HP on the current lycoming and continental engines is that the designs were made to keep everything "low stress" in the interest of safety.

This is done by keeping piston and valve speeds down, managing cylinder pressure, and managing temperature such that aviation engines are in a pretty low stress environment.

It's cool that many can use the current lycoming/continental designs and race them without raising the stress much but we aren't seeing the stellar reliability of the stock offering once you change the basic engine/gearbox/prop. package even the slightest bit.

An engine program to raise the revs would surely cost more than taking a porsche turbo 3.3 liter......or whatever size you want from 2.0 to over 4.0 netting you anywhere from 450hp all the way to 750hp that lives long enough for a 24 hour endurance race (in a car).

The engine shape is similar to the engines it would replace.

With two separate haltec/megasquirt/(insert any other name brand) engine management systems, you can achieve some measure of reliability and have tuning for each cylinder's mixture and timing.

If you're already impacting reliability, why not have twice the horsepower available?

Comment

Originally posted by IcePaq View Post
                              Since air racing does see a few engine related mayday pull-ups, I'm surprised nobody tried the porsche turbo flat six.

Once you go racing, reliability as compared to stock suffers greatly.

They are twin plug head engines and we rarely rebuilt ours in a porsche 935 that accumulated 60,000 racing miles about half of which were at 750hp.

I understand the "it's a car engine" guys will chime in but what's limiting HP on the current lycoming and continental engines is that the designs were made to keep everything "low stress" in the interest of safety.

This is done by keeping piston and valve speeds down, managing cylinder pressure, and managing temperature such that aviation engines are in a pretty low stress environment.

It's cool that many can use the current lycoming/continental designs and race them without raising the stress much but we aren't seeing the stellar reliability of the stock offering once you change the basic engine/gearbox/prop. package even the slightest bit.

An engine program to raise the revs would surely cost more than taking a porsche turbo 3.3 liter......or whatever size you want from 2.0 to over 4.0 netting you anywhere from 450hp all the way to 750hp that lives long enough for a 24 hour endurance race (in a car).

The engine shape is similar to the engines it would replace.

With two separate haltec/megasquirt/(insert any other name brand) engine management systems, you can achieve some measure of reliability and have tuning for each cylinder's mixture and timing.

If you're already impacting reliability, why not have twice the horsepower available?
                              You mean a program kind of like John Parker has in his Thunder Mustang?

Comment

Working...
                              X