Reno 1975

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reno 1975

In its part 3 article on Conquest I in Air Classics Nov. 2016 issue, the author states on page 62 there were no (unlimited) heat races in 1975. Yes, there were two fatal accidents on Sat, Sept 13th 1975, but I am curious as to why no heat races on Thursday and Friday?

Re: Reno 1975

Originally posted by Coyote Chris View Post
    In its part 3 article on Conquest I in Air Classics Nov. 2016 issue, the author states on page 62 there were no (unlimited) heat races in 1975. Yes, there were two fatal accidents on Sat, Sept 13th 1975, but I am curious as to why no heat races on Thursday and Friday?
    Well, first of all...Thursday racing was not introduced until 1983. Up until then all classes only ran Friday-Sunday.

In 1975, the Unlimited division of the PRPA chose to qualify directly into the 'brackets' instead of running heat races. This was in an attempt to save equipment. So on Friday the Unlimiteds ran the Medallion race. Saturday they ran the Consolation race. And Sunday the Championship race. One unlimited race each day. It did not go over very well, and in 1976 they went back to the 'heat race' system.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
      Well, first of all...Thursday racing was not introduced until 1983. Up until then all classes only ran Friday-Sunday.

In 1975, the Unlimited division of the PRPA chose to qualify directly into the 'brackets' instead of running heat races. This was in an attempt to save equipment. So on Friday the Unlimiteds ran the Medallion race. Saturday they ran the Consolation race. And Sunday the Championship race. One unlimited race each day. It did not go over very well, and in 1976 they went back to the 'heat race' system.
      Wow.....thanks! Very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post

Was it to save equipment or did the fact that the U.S. was coming out of a recession and oil embargo around that time play a factor?

Comment

Working...
        X