Lancair Legacy(s) that are / are not Turbocharged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lancair Legacy(s) that are / are not Turbocharged

Off the cuff, from this years competitors. Can anyone recite which of the Lancair Legacy aircraft were turbocharged, and which were normally aspirated?

I want to say there was 11 Legacy aircraft that qualified. And at least 4-5 of those are boosted aircraft..But which others?

- Joseph

Re: Lancair Legacy(s) that are / are not Turbocharged

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
    Off the cuff, from this years competitors. Can anyone recite which of the Lancair Legacy aircraft were turbocharged, and which were normally aspirated?

I want to say there was 11 Legacy aircraft that qualified. And at least 4-5 of those are boosted aircraft..But which others?

- Joseph
    All of the Legacys in the Gold final are the turbo aircraft. There is one in Silver that I am unsure of. The rest are non-turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
      All of the Legacys in the Gold final are the turbo aircraft. There is one in Silver that I am unsure of. The rest are non-turbo.
      The following Legacy race numbers are turbocharged:

Comment

- Joseph
        It was NOT raced this year, but I believe the fastest of the non-turbo Legacies was Lee Behel's #5 "Breathless" (I believe the name was a reference to it's non-turbo status). I've long wondered how fast it would be with a strong turbo-ed engine (over 400 mph, I estimate).

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
          It was NOT raced this year, but I believe the fastest of the non-turbo Legacies was Lee Behel's #5 "Breathless" (I believe the name was a reference to it's non-turbo status). I've long wondered how fast it would be with a strong turbo-ed engine (over 400 mph, I estimate).
          It was the fastest of the non-turbo Legacies by far.

Comment

Thank-you. That was what I was essentially confident of.

It would be an interesting breakdown to learn of the differences between each of those. Also, the overall weight difference between a Super Legacy, and standard? Aren't there significant reinforcements made to the race-prepped aircraft?

Thanks,
            - Joseph

Comment

Thank-you. That was what I was essentially confident of.

It would be an interesting breakdown to learn of the differences between each of those. Also, the overall weight difference between a Super Legacy, and standard? Aren't there significant reinforcements made to the race-prepped aircraft?

Thanks,
              - Joseph
              Lots of extra carbon layers in the Super Legacies as well as most, if not all, of them using the beluga belly mod. Weights and exact setup differences between them remain team secrets.

Comment

Lots of extra carbon layers in the Super Legacies as well as most, if not all, of them using the beluga belly mod. Weights and exact setup differences between them remain team secrets.
                The only Super Legacy with the "beluga" belly is #30. My personal opinion is that the "beluga" belly really added nothing to the top end speed. Lee had at least a 10/1 compression ratio (I believe higher) and so his engine developed more HP than other standard Legacys.

Comment

Originally posted by georgiacub View Post
                  The only Super Legacy with the "beluga" belly is #30. My personal opinion is that the "beluga" belly really added nothing to the top end speed. Lee had at least a 10/1 compression ratio (I believe higher) and so his engine developed more HP than other standard Legacys.
                  As I recall, Lee Behel's belly mod was proprietary (developed with Eric Ahlstrom, I believe). That is, the AeroChia aero mods aren't the same.

Or did Lee - or his estate - sell his mods to others?

Comment

Originally posted by georgiacub View Post
                    The Aerochia birds have a different style belly mod than 30, but it is similar and seeks to accomplish similar things. The fuselage mods on Breathless were different all together.

Comment

The Aerochia birds have a different style belly mod than 30, but it is similar and seeks to accomplish similar things. The fuselage mods on Breathless were different all together.

http://www.aerochia.com/kits_Legacy_speedmod.html
                      Andy Chiavetta would probably laugh at the idea that his speed mods would even be mentioned as "beluga" like.

Comment

What's the story on this hot looking Legacy?

Comment

What's the story on this hot looking Legacy?

Converted from a standard Legacy to a Super Legacy by Andy Chiavetta. The owner likes the speed, etc. but has no desire to race.

Comment

I'm currently building a Super Legacy, only with a Lycoming. Not a fan of the Continental...

I just finished wrapping the tail as well as adding some uni to the cockpit area. I'm also installing a beluga belly that was molded off of Race #30. Considering what I did with Unleashed, it was a hell of a lot easier to buy one that was already pretty close to what I want. Not exactly, but close enough for now.

The attached photos show the peel ply on the wrap, and the beluga belly being held in place. It gives you some idea how big of a change it is to the fuselage.

In summary, aerodynamics are obviously important, but heaps and heaps of horsepower make up for a lot. When you get them both, you have a winner.
                            Attached Files
                            Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Dudewanarace View Post
                              I'm currently building a Super Legacy, only with a Lycoming. Not a fan of the Continental...

I just finished wrapping the tail as well as adding some uni to the cockpit area. I'm also installing a beluga belly that was molded off of Race #30. Considering what I did with Unleashed, it was a hell of a lot easier to buy one that was already pretty close to what I want. Not exactly, but close enough for now.

The attached photos show the peel ply on the wrap, and the beluga belly being held in place. It gives you some idea how big of a change it is to the fuselage.

In summary, aerodynamics are obviously important, but heaps and heaps of horsepower make up for a lot. When you get them both, you have a winner.
                              Tom, any time anyone says this sport is dying, I'm going to throw my BULLSHIRT flag!

Long as we have folks like you and your better half, and your supporters.... I rest my case!

Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X