No announcement yet.

How good were the early DSLR Cameras?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How good were the early DSLR Cameras?

Neal, why do I fee like I'm either Niles or Frasier after a hot discussion of a rare wline right now???

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Back to the original catalyst of this thread, I wasn't trying to sell anyone the D2H I was originally discussing, what wish is, that I could get it into the hands of someone who could use it for the greater benefit of the sport! Leo has great passion but does not have a good camera. I've got a good camera that has not a lot of cash value.. I'd like to see it in the hands of someone with a passion for the history of the sport and Stead Air Force Base!

**by edit** I would like to get a few dollars for the combo I believe 400 is what I told Leo.. on second thought, I'm just going to keep it for the archives!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

One caveat about trying use an older body with newer lenses, the don't seem to work well. The body doesn't talk to the lens and you end up with a blown out image. Not sure what is going on, because even a straight manual lens doesn't do this, but you put a lens made in the last few years on an old body and you could have issues.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
          One caveat about trying use an older body with newer lenses, the don't seem to work well. The body doesn't talk to the lens and you end up with a blown out image. Not sure what is going on, because even a straight manual lens doesn't do this, but you put a lens made in the last few years on an old body and you could have issues.

Will
          While the cameras (D2H-D2X) don't have all the bells and whistles that the newer bodies have, I've not had any issue with the older bodies connecting with my...... well... answering my own post here... older lenses! LOL! I have three main lenses, my first two when I made the commitment to actually purchase Nikon brand glass, were the 24-120vr, a really great workhorse of a lens, For a bit longer reach, I got the 70-300vr, it's never been my favorite lens. I then bit the bullet and fulfilled a bucket list item and got the 200-400vr... It worked well with both of my older bodies but NEVER as well as it does with the newly (last year) acquired D4 which is an absolutely amazing body! Newer bodies will come out with a ton more stuff that they can do, frankly, I don't think I'll ever buy another body, the -4 is just that good!

I do agree, though, some of the old film bodies might have a tough time working well with the newer lenses. I'm going to dig out my old D1 and see how it does (when its shutter actually fires) with the 200-400.
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Shawn tried my 200-500 on your body thursday afternoon and it would just shoot overexposed nothing. It was really strange. It didn't work on his camera body either.

Will

Comment

On older bodies the 200-500 can only work with widest aperture f 5.6, that's probably the reason for the over exposed shots. Here is the compatibility list: D5, D4 series, D3 series, Df, D810, D810A, D800 series, D750, D700, D610, D600, D500, D300 series, D7200, D7100, D7000, D5500, D5300, D5200, D5100, D5000, D3300, D3200, D3100, Nikon 1 J1, J2, J3, J4 with FT-1, Nikon 1 V1, V2, V3 with FT-1, Nikon 1 S1, S2 with FT-1

Best regards,
              Florian

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                Shawn tried my 200-500 on your body thursday afternoon and it would just shoot overexposed nothing. It was really strange. It didn't work on his camera body either.

Will
                OH.. that splains it! Shawn was sooooo eager to get that body in his hands before trying it, that I had trouble understanding the "hot potato" that it became when he returned it!! LOL... bet he was afraid it was broken and I'd blame him!!!! I was about two inches away from just GIVING him the entire setup! LOL...

You guys should have just told me!!
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Florian View Post
                  On older bodies the 200-500 can only work with widest aperture f 5.6, that's probably the reason for the over exposed shots. Here is the compatibility list: D5, D4 series, D3 series, Df, D810, D810A, D800 series, D750, D700, D610, D600, D500, D300 series, D7200, D7100, D7000, D5500, D5300, D5200, D5100, D5000, D3300, D3200, D3100, Nikon 1 J1, J2, J3, J4 with FT-1, Nikon 1 V1, V2, V3 with FT-1, Nikon 1 S1, S2 with FT-1

Best regards,
                  Florian
                  HOLY carp, why would Nikon do that?? Looks like they have abandoned their entire big body cameras from the 2 back...

Did they used to do that with the original big body film cameras?

It will be a good backup in my bag with existing lenses I have which it works well with. Who needs three big bodys?? Better than using it for a wheel chock I guess!

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                  X