• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Biplanes Biplanes Biplanes

Sam should like that! Cool shot.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
      Thanks, Sam. It turns out to be an airplane I've photographed a bit over the years...

Were you pleased with your own performance this year? What were your biggest surprises? I'm always interested in a rookie's experience -- what was most gratifying and what was most exciting. To be a rookie in a Gold class airplane must be quite something...

Neal
      Neal,

In all honesty, from the very beginning of this process to become a racer (from purchase of #3 to completion of race week), I've been treated so well by all the Biplane folks. They are truly a great group. Having known Jeff Lo (#6 Miss Dianne & #13 Miss Gianna) for a few years, he really set the hook last year by offering to me the opportunity to ferry his #6 from San Jose over to Reno [and back]. He allowed me and my wife to crew for him to get to know the ropes. His regular crew (Chris and Roy) took us under their wings and showed us what was expected and how to do it. Then he made another offer that I couldn't refuse, which was to use his #6 to attend PRS! He knows a sucker when he sees one. I immediately started looking for a plane to buy when I heard through the grapevine that Casey/Phil were possibly looking to sell #3. They made the process very easy and I bought it in November (took delivery in late January due to schedule/wx limitations). Fast forward to June and I had just finished an Edinburgh, Scotland trip back to Newark and I jumpseated straight to San Jose to pick up Miss Dianne to take to Reno for PRS. I have to give credit where credit is due and I must say that RARA and PRPA-Biplane did a really professional and well thought-out job at teaching us at PRS. Luckily for me (and the two other guys in Biplane) that were at PRS, we had a TON of time on the course since there were only 3 of us. We didn't have to divide up the time amongst a bunch of folks. We did some coordination with the F1 guys but essentially used all of our time to our benefit. I bet I got 5 years worth of racing laps during that week of PRS!

Honestly, my biggest stress the entire week was fretting over disassembling a perfectly flyable airplane in Tennessee to truck to Reno, and then reassemble it (and repeat at the end of the week). Yikes! At the last minute my crew chief was unable to go to Reno due to contract-pilot jobs that came up for him, so I drove solo 3 days to Reno, and as soon as I arrived Tony Higa (Biplane #31) and former Biplane racer Brett Schuck jumped in to start unloading AND set the wings roughly in place! Holy crap! By Thursday night, I had a plane that looked like a plane again. I had to wait for a set of rigging boards to arrive on Saturday for final rigging, but we test flew Sunday evening and qualified Monday morning (203.215 mph!!).

Probably the other significant surprise during the week was all the wake turbulence experienced on the course. As you know, the winds were generally calm during race week and the wake just didn't move off like it did at PRS (with HUGE winds). Since I was in the back of the field (6-8th starting, depending on which race) I caught everyone's wake. I tried low and I tried high lines, to no avail. Oh well.

I couldn't have been happier with how things went. I selfishly had two goals for my first Reno (1) to be in the Gold race, and (2) to qualify over 200mph and I accomplished both. Anything after that was gravy.

Bottom line is that that Biplane folks are great, and they are truly family. I can't wait to see them again next September.

Sam
      Biplane Race #3

Comment

Sam, these look like the only two good ones I got of you flying. Both during the Sunday start.

Not really a great photo, but I like that's its past the home pylon

Comment

Originally posted by flyboycpa View Post
          Neal,

I couldn't have been happier with how things went. I selfishly had two goals for my first Reno (1) to be in the Gold race, and (2) to qualify over 200mph and I accomplished both. Anything after that was gravy.

Bottom line is that that Biplane folks are great, and they are truly family. I can't wait to see them again next September.

Sam

LOL -- definitely modest goals, there, Sam! Seems to me you did pretty good!

Thank you very much for the detailed response. I'm really pleased that the Biplane folks are still as great as I remember them to be. And, I've always liked and admired Jeff. Somehow it does not surprise me at all that he was so central to your story. I just wish he'd pull Miss Gianna out of the hangar and try to give Aberle a run for his money.

Interesting comment on the wake turbulence. That's something I, as a non-pilot, don't think about very much. Other than when I see somebody REALLY get upset the bouncing around is pretty invisible to us spectators. It's interesting that you were not expecting it to be so bad given your experience at PRS. Now at PRS you would have had equally difficult issues with being pushed into or away from pylons by the wind wouldn't you?

Thanks again for your post...

Neal

Comment

Seriously good stuff! If I ever get out again, I will have to go that way, I've never been out that direction in the AM! Beautiful!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
              Sam, these look like the only two good ones I got of you flying. Both during the Sunday start.

These shots are absolutely EPIC!

Possibly the best expression of what this about I've ever seen...
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post

Connor,

Can you email me those two pics? They are great! I will pay you for them if you PM me the info. Sam dot Swift at me dot com

Thanks,
                Sam Swift
                Biplane Race #3

Comment

Originally posted by kennsmithf2g View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]22404[/ATTACH]
                  Kenn,

Thanks for the picture. Would you mind emailing me the pics? I will pay you for the pics if you give are able to.

Email to Sam dot Swift at me dot com

thanks,
                  Sam Swift
                  Biplane Race #3

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                    Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any close-ups that were sharp and in focus. Sorry. :-(
                    Big Jim,

Thanks so much for those pics. Are you able to email me those? If so, I'll be glad to pay you for them. Email to
                    Sam dot Swift at me dot com.

all the best,
                    Sam Swift
                    Biplane Race #3

Comment

Wayne you are too kind!

Sam, email will be on its way shortly.

Comment

Sam,
                        I should have some shots of you as well. I have one more card that is totally unexplored, and a two others that I've only scratched the surface on.

Conner, those are fantastic shots.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                          Sam,
                          I should have some shots of you as well. I have one more card that is totally unexplored, and a two others that I've only scratched the surface on.

Conner, those are fantastic shots.

Will
                          Thanks, Will!!!

Sam
                          Biplane Race #3

Comment

Any of 17 and 7X? "drag racing"? Thanks! All of the above are great!! Janis Murphy
                            Last edited by knowsnothin; 09-25-2016, 08:42 AM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Sam - I think I already sent this one to your "Smokin' Hot" Mrs, but just in case you don't have it AND for the other posters on this thread. This is the look after a hard fought and successful pass (after Saturday's race):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Smiling Sam Saturday Large.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	228387

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
                                Sam - I think I already sent this one to your "Smokin' Hot" Mrs, but just in case you don't have it AND for the other posters on this thread. This is the look after a hard fought and successful pass (after Saturday's race):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22439[/ATTACH]
                                Thanks, Chris! Yes, you sent that one to me. Thanks again for being part of our team this year! Here's to many more!

Sam
                                Biplane Race #3

Comment

Working...
                                X