Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016 Photos, no contest, no worries, just photos. Post em up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016 Photos, no contest, no worries, just photos. Post em up!

Does anyone know the story behind the graffiti on Voodoo's wingtip? Is that some sort of commentary on the lack of competition and slower speeds?

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
      Does anyone know the story behind the graffiti on Voodoo's wingtip? Is that some sort of commentary on the lack of competition and slower speeds?
      Due to the slow airplanes in the Gold, they slowed the chute speed down. Voodoo isn't happy going that slow down the start.

Comment

So what exactly does it say? I can't quite make it out.

When was it put on?

If it says "360 Kts is BS", is that IAS? What approximately would that be in TAS/ground speed? Seems like well over 400 mph TAS, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

Is "360 Kts" slower than chute speed of the last couple of years?

Neal
        Last edited by wingman; 09-27-2016, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Yes - it says 360kts is BS and yes, I believe that's IAS and that would be up around 400mph. How fast did they used to go down the chute if 360kts is slower?

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
            Yes - it says 360kts is BS and yes, I believe that's IAS and that would be up around 400mph. How fast did they used to go down the chute if 360kts is slower?
            360 KIAS, at 85 degrees F and 6000' is 412 KTAS, or 474 MPH.

Mark

Comment

If I remember correctly from the NAG banquet, I think Sherman Smoot said they were heading down the shoot at 525 indicated airspeed or so when he was flying Czech Mate. In that light, yes, they were just plodding along this year.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                If I remember correctly from the NAG banquet, I think Sherman Smoot said they were heading down the shoot at 525 indicated airspeed or so when he was flying Czech Mate. In that light, yes, they were just plodding along this year.

Will
                How on earth did we ever survive when Hoover was making the starts with the Mustang and didn't release the planes until they got to pylon 2? :-)

Stevo does have a point, though. With all the doped-fuel that the go-fast Unlimiteds are running, if you fly around at lower manifold pressures for too long it can foul the plugs and when you go to cob on the power you get a pretty significant backfire.

Comment

May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Few more,

Will
                    Last edited by RAD2LTR; 09-30-2016, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Will

Comment

Despite all your carrying on, Will, this stuff is looking rally good. I think you did a remarkable job for first time out there.

How did you like the sound?

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                          Despite all your carrying on, Will, this stuff is looking rally good. I think you did a remarkable job for first time out there.

How did you like the sound?

Neal
                          The sound was awesome. I think early on, I kept randomly finding all the lousy shots (I was picking randomly). I'm also finding that what I see on the camera is not what is actually there. I've compared what is on my computer screen to what I see on the camera (same pic on the camera) and found that sometimes they are two very different images. The camera doesn't have the resolution that the computer screen does. That makes me wonder how many good shots I tossed without knowing they were good? There are some that really make me wonder what was going on (like all the U2 shots) when I go back and look at this stuff. I do I screw up a slow moving U2 at 1/400 when I can shoot fast moving small targets at 1/250 or slower with good results? That said, I can also tell that I was getting tired in the late afternoon shots.

Back to the sound, the hillside is amazing for the sound, and its different from the pylons. The Unlimiteds going over my head at the start was a mind blowing experience. Absolutely amazing. Like being a few rows back from the stage at a rock concert. The hillside is like being at the same outdoor concert, but on a hill just outside. You get different subtle nuances. The howl from Voodoo and Strega are one. Not as noticeable from the pylons, but from the hillside you can hear it all the way around the course. The radials sound a bit more smooth from the hillside, but at the pylons you can really hear the rumble as they go over. Both of those places sound entirely different from the show line as well. Its a truly unique event with an amazing location. Its almost as exciting to hear the races as it is to see them.

Will

Comment

The Unlimited start from the hillside. Probably my favorite moment all weekend. The howl from Voodoo was just incredible!

Unlimited Start by Connor Madison, on Flickr

Comment

From Heat 1B

Comment

Experiment in prop blurr

The place where the music comes from

The wing tip graffiti someone was asking about and a tribute to Ed Maloney

Comment

Working...
                                X