Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016 Photos, no contest, no worries, just photos. Post em up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016 Photos, no contest, no worries, just photos. Post em up!

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
    Lightroom CC has an amazing Panorama auto merge function. The gold race is 4 photos, the silver 6 and Czech is 2.
    Prior to it being added to Lightroom I did the same thing in Photoshop but it was 4+ hours of work, now its only a minute.
    My brother gave me Adobe CS2 and I'm not afraid to admit that my knowledge of how to use even basic photoshop7 that I used prior to getting '2 is LIMITED!

There are instructions and procedures to follow but I have always used computers and programs, hell, just about everything I use, in a search and discover methodology... unfortunately, works with chain saws but not so good with really good software, particularly, anything by Adobe!

I've done a couple "stitched" shots in the past and it was time consuming...

As for stitching, haven't I heard of a technique where an image is sliced up, I mean, prior to shooting... not physically but, zoned and there are several shots by grid stitched together to make a HUGE MP image?

I love your work by the way!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Panoramas are great fun, and quite easy in Photoshop CS6,

Wayne I very much disagree with you on the D2X and pylon work. The autofocus is just not fast enough to keep up with headon racers. It works OK for side shots though even there the AF is distinctly iffy. I tried and tried, with some success at times but most of the time it just didn't work well, I just ended up using it on manual focus much of the time and did better.

When stuff was in focus the D2Xs is lovely -- rich captures with better out of the camera color than anything now, IMO. The D2X color rendition is just gorgeous. It just blew focus a LOT in demanding conditions.

The D3 was mindblowing! It has a FAR more competent AF system -- as good as your D4, I think (I've used D4s several times -- loved them but AF was quite comparable to my own D3).

I've used the D2Xs, D3, and D4, and I'm here to tell you the D2Xs just does not begin to compare to the D3 or D4 in autofocus speed or accuracy. The D2Xs is a great all around camera, and it was the best Nikon sports shooters had in 2005, But the D3 was a revelation by comparison.

Neal
      Last edited by wingman; 09-23-2016, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
        Panoramas are great fun, and quite easy in Photoshop CS6,

Wayne I very much disagree with you on the D2X and pylon work. The autofocus is just not fast enough to keep up with headon racers. It works OK for side shots though even there the AF is distinctly iffy. I tried and tried, with some success at times but most of the time it just didn't work well, I just ended up using it on manual focus much of the time and did better.

When stuff was in focus the D2Xs is lovely -- rich captures with better out of the camera color than anything now, IMO. The D2X color rendition is just gorgeous. It just blew focus a LOT in demanding conditions.

The D3 was mindblowing! It has a FAR more competent AF system -- as good as your D4, I think (I've used D4s several times -- loved them but AF was quite comparable to my own D3).

I've used the D2Xs, D3, and D4, and I'm here to tell you the D2Xs just does not begin to compare to the D3 or D4 in autofocus speed or accuracy. The D2Xs is a great all around camera, and it was the best Nikon sports shooters had in 2005, But the D3 was a revelation by comparison. Key word bolded by edit....

Neal
        Driver! Back up the bus half a block please...

from my original post regarding the cameras I am discussing...

I was practically trying to give my surplus D2H and a tamron... can't remember but I think it's something like 70-300 not a great lens but...
        Since you only have your personal experiences to use as a basis for your judgement of the D2X which you are talking about, and talking about a photograph that we're not looking at is useless. I'll take what you have posted about the camera that I used primarily for years as being deficient for pylon work as a challenge to dig out some of my previously unposted work.

You will have to give me a few days, I still have to work part time to make ends meet and wound up having to work two days more this week than I'd counted on (every day since I have been back!)

I'll get you some shots from the POS D2X D2H my original D1 from 2000 and then I'll open up a new discussion about the history of DSLR cameras.

I was there at the beginning of the cameras Neal, you refused to accept the cameras I was using at the time as worthy of your time. I disagree completely and we'll now get visual reference to continue the (wonderful) discussion, in a DIFFERENT thread as we've begun to drag this one waaay

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Sorry, I thought you were talking about selling the D2X I didn't even remember that you had a D2h. I've never used one of those and know nothing about them.

Reread my post before you go to trouble digging up old files to prove anything. I said repeatedly that the D2X is a lovely camera -- the best in the world at the time. No question. I have hundreds of excellent pylon shots done with the D2Xs, and even with the D200 (and my manual focus Nikon F from Reno 1977, as far as that goes).

What I said is that the D2Xs is not nearly as good at demanding pylon work as more recent Nikons. I could not count on the D2Xs. Sometimes it worked on a shot, and often it did not. The D3 just worked. If I did my job, the camera nailed it -- time after time. If things were not good I knew it was me, not the camera. I have total confidence in the D3, and I never had that level of confidence with earlier cameras.

I'd be willing to bet that any thousand dollar current Nikon consumer camera (D7200 for example) would kick my $4500 (in 2005) D2Xs's butt on the pylons. Autofocus systems have come that far in the last ten years. The in focus D2Xs shots would likely be a bit prettier, but the D7200 would have a higher percentage of in focus shots. No question...

Neal

Comment

Neal, what you said was.

D2x: I owned one from the first release, I own one today. They work well in the pits, on the pylons, as well as anywhere else there is enough light to not challenge their low light ability.

When you make statements like this, you discount every photograph any of us took with that camera series. We've always worked with what we have Neal, I just don't see the need to critique... did you own a D2X.. I thought you came into digital quite a bit later?

D2H: As you said, you never used one.
            Attached Files
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I'm trying to move the posts which have dragged this one of topic

Attempting to sort out moving some posts...
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

crap, I can't figure out how to get it done and keep the thread of thought intact... I did move some posts..

Let's just drop the discussion Neal and take it up elsewhere.
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                  My brother gave me Adobe CS2 and I'm not afraid to admit that my knowledge of how to use even basic photoshop7 that I used prior to getting '2 is LIMITED!

There are instructions and procedures to follow but I have always used computers and programs, hell, just about everything I use, in a search and discover methodology... unfortunately, works with chain saws but not so good with really good software, particularly, anything by Adobe!

I've done a couple "stitched" shots in the past and it was time consuming...

As for stitching, haven't I heard of a technique where an image is sliced up, I mean, prior to shooting... not physically but, zoned and there are several shots by grid stitched together to make a HUGE MP image?

I love your work by the way!
                  Thanks, Wayne!

Yeah that sounds about right. Wait till I upload the uncompressed full size versions to Flickr. In all of the panoramas you basically have a 24mp photo for each airplane represented there... "Hello RARA would you like a new banner?"

Here's another of Czech & Voodoo

Comment

Somehow I never thought about doing panoramas at Reno -- seems obvious when I look at these.

Cool stuff, Connor.

Neal

Comment

It looks like Jay's legs are coming out the bottom of CM in that last one. It looks like he is wearing CM as a costume.

Cool pics, Conner.
                      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Will

Comment

Unlimited Heat 2B

May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Neal, thank you! Since the merge function was added to LR its always something that sits in the back of my mind.

Haha, Fence I did not notice that. I looked up close, I think it's actually LD's legs and Jay is still in the cockpit. Still looks really fun though, thanks for point that out!

Will, nice work as always. I especially dig that shot of Sawbones!

Comment

A few more people pictures.

After the Friday race. Jay sat in the cockpit for a good 5 minutes, probably making sure his legs were stable enough to get out. It was a pretty hairy landing.

The debrief following the race. Pretty cool group of people there, would love to hear the conversation.

Here's your Saturday morning trivia. In this frame, how many people have flown (maybe not raced) Strega? I can name 5 for sure.

Connor

Comment

Will
                                Last edited by RAD2LTR; 09-26-2016, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X