Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dusty Dowd Yak-11 race 92

Default Re: Yak-11 race 92

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post

Is a wing job, full-blown fuselage mod, 2800, and race trailer really worth it for an extra 74mph?

- Joseph
    Are you going to have twice as much fun after all that? Are you going to be able to fly your bird the rest of the year just for pleasure? I still will always enjoy stockish Warbirds working the pylons.

Will

HI GUYS.........
    JUST GOT HOME YESTERDAY AFTERNOON AND SPRAYED GRASSHOPPERS ALL MORNING THAT ARE EATING UP THE BABY WHEAT PLANTS. I PROMISE AS SOON AS I GET BACK TO REALITY I WILL TELL THE STORY, BUT IT WILL TAKE SOME TEXTS TO DO SO. TWO THINGS TO LEAVE YOU WITH FOR A FEW DAYS....WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE SEMI-RETIRED "RARE BEAR" CREW FROM EZELL AVIATION AND THE ROUND ENGINE MAN OF ESTEEM, JEFF ABBOTT, THE YAK WOULD NEVER HAVE MADE IT OFF THE GROUND. SO, MY NEXT YAK T-SHIRT WILL SAY....." IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO RACE A YAK". ONE MORE THING....TO ALL THE PHOTOGS OUT THERE.....YOU PROVIDE AN ABSOLUTELY ASTOUNDINGLY IMPORTANT SERVICE TO THE RACERS WITH YOUR BEAUTIFUL DETAILED PICTURES THAT SHOW A MULTITUDE OF AERODYNAMIC ANOMOLIES THAT WE NEED TO WORK ON AS WELL AS POSSIBLY SOME STRUCTURAL THINGS THAT NEED TO BE ADDRESSED. KEEP IT UP AND WE REALLLY REALLY APPRECIATE IT. APOLOGISE AGAIN FOR THE CAPS......
    VERY SINCERELY,
    DUSTY

Don't worry about the caps, Dusty. It's the words we care about. Thanks for thinking about the fans. A lot of people really enjoyed seeing you and your airplane running ahead of the Mustangs this year.

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    I find the performance of John "Dusty" Dowd in the small Yak-11 "Lylia" this year quite remarkable - 376mph average speed out of a R-1830 powered Yak-11 is really interesting. Back in 2012 Will Whiteside was able to get 395mph out of Steadfast but equipped with the R-2000 engine and several modifications.
    I'm really interested to know how the sound of the Yak-11 was at the last race on Sunday.

Best regards,
    Florian
    Boy Oh Howdy Dusty Dowd! WHAT an IMPRESSIVE showing!

I tried to get as many shots as I could of him and the plane, I've just gotten back to my home and probably won't be able to dig much tonight... I work one day a week, it was SUPPOSED to be TODAY but I did not have the stamina to drive all the way back to my little corner of the Pacific Northwest in one shot.. So, tomorrow is "day job stuff"

I will do my best to get ONE up tonight!

PS: I probably come into these threads arse backwards because I read them via email that shows latest post first, so if I state a "Captain Obvious" due to not reading things from the bottom up... PLEASE FORGIVE ME! I've got 84 messages in the digest to read/respond

Love you guys!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Looked great from Pylon 2

- Joseph

Okay, Dusty....where's the racing Bearcat?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0377a.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	769.3 KB 
ID:	22377   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0808a.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	422.7 KB 
ID:	22378   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0809a.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	446.5 KB 
ID:	22379  

Dusty's Bearcats are all gone, aren't they?

Hey Joseph -- that is an excellent photograph!

Neal

Interesting canopy on that Yak.

Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    Dusty's Bearcats are all gone, aren't they?

Neal
    I think so, yes. But man...for so long I kept hanging on to that hope that 'the promised one' would show up on the ramp, surprising us all.