This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dusty Dowd Yak-11 race 92

I find the performance of John "Dusty" Dowd in the small Yak-11 "Lylia" this year quite remarkable - 376mph average speed out of a R-1830 powered Yak-11 is really interesting. Back in 2012 Will Whiteside was able to get 395mph out of Steadfast but equipped with the R-2000 engine and several modifications.
    I'm really interested to know how the sound of the Yak-11 was at the last race on Sunday.

Best regards,
    Florian

Re: Yak-11 race 92

Dusty Dowd is a very special character. He raced extensively in Formula 1 back, I think, in the 1980s, and is still a legend for his ability to get speed out of a regular Cassutt by attention to detail. Many other airplanes in the class were made significantly faster by tips from Dusty. He still Has Cassutts around -- when my late friend Gary Austin wanted to fulfill a dream and go racing he borrowed or leased a lovely and immaculate yellow and white bird from Dusty. Dusty currently is the owner of the sort of P-51A "Polar Bear", which is in major restoration.

Dusty Dowd has deep roots in racing.

He posted a bit here after Reno last year. It would be nice if he came around here again to talk about his 2016 experience, as well as his progress on Polar Bear.

Neal

Comment

Dusty smoked the rest of the Silver field. That little a Yak was hummin'! Are you sure it's only an 1830? I haven't looked into it myself but I'll take your word for it, Florian. It sounded happy and seemed to run beautifully all week.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
        Dusty smoked the rest of the Silver field. That little a Yak was hummin'! Are you sure it's only an 1830? I haven't looked into it myself but I'll take your word for it, Florian. It sounded happy and seemed to run beautifully all week.

Everybody's favorite announcer called it a 1340

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
          Everybody's favorite announcer called it a 1340
          Well, everybody makes mistakes, but this is one that the announcers keep making. Two years ago they were all messed up on the Sanders Sea Furys. I know that's an interesting combo, but go to the pits and take notes.

Comment

A couple shots of race 92 that I took on Saturday.

He was really moving all week. He flies a beautiful line and the results show it. He may not have a ton of horsepower but he knows how to make the most of it.

Will

Comment

Dusty and his Yak-11 were very impressive this year. I hope to see more next year.

Comment

I really like this forum and the interesting background discussions. With the information from Neal about Dustys history the good performance he pulled out of the small Yak is more understandeable for me.
                Nick, the R-1830 Twin Wasp information I found on several internet sites dated 2015. But maybe Dusty himself can bring some light into the discussion if he finds this threat and if he is willing to share some details about the engine and the airframe
                On the good pictures from Will I can also see that a larger spinner is installed this year (looks nearly as large in diameter as the spinner from Steadfast).

Best regards,
                Florian

Comment

Originally posted by Florian View Post
                  I really like this forum and the interesting background discussions. With the information from Neal about Dustys history the good performance he pulled out of the small Yak is more understandeable for me.
                  Nick, the R-1830 Twin Wasp information I found on several internet sites dated 2015. But maybe Dusty himself can bring some light into the discussion if he finds this threat and if he is willing to share some details about the engine and the airframe
                  On the good pictures from Will I can also see that a larger spinner is installed this year (looks nearly as large in diameter as the spinner from Steadfast).

Best regards,
                  Florian
                  From Dusty in the off season, he said that he was going to do all he could without putting the 2000 in it, I imagine he stuck with his word
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

It was really great watching the little Yak tear it up.

Is a wing job, full-blown fuselage mod, 2800, and race trailer really worth it for an extra 74mph?

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post

Is a wing job, full-blown fuselage mod, 2800, and race trailer really worth it for an extra 74mph?

- Joseph
                      Are you going to have twice as much fun after all that? Are you going to be able to fly your bird the rest of the year just for pleasure? I still will always enjoy stockish Warbirds working the pylons.

Comment

Will

Comment

HI GUYS.........
                          JUST GOT HOME YESTERDAY AFTERNOON AND SPRAYED GRASSHOPPERS ALL MORNING THAT ARE EATING UP THE BABY WHEAT PLANTS. I PROMISE AS SOON AS I GET BACK TO REALITY I WILL TELL THE STORY, BUT IT WILL TAKE SOME TEXTS TO DO SO. TWO THINGS TO LEAVE YOU WITH FOR A FEW DAYS....WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE SEMI-RETIRED "RARE BEAR" CREW FROM EZELL AVIATION AND THE ROUND ENGINE MAN OF ESTEEM, JEFF ABBOTT, THE YAK WOULD NEVER HAVE MADE IT OFF THE GROUND. SO, MY NEXT YAK T-SHIRT WILL SAY....." IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO RACE A YAK". ONE MORE THING....TO ALL THE PHOTOGS OUT THERE.....YOU PROVIDE AN ABSOLUTELY ASTOUNDINGLY IMPORTANT SERVICE TO THE RACERS WITH YOUR BEAUTIFUL DETAILED PICTURES THAT SHOW A MULTITUDE OF AERODYNAMIC ANOMOLIES THAT WE NEED TO WORK ON AS WELL AS POSSIBLY SOME STRUCTURAL THINGS THAT NEED TO BE ADDRESSED. KEEP IT UP AND WE REALLLY REALLY APPRECIATE IT. APOLOGISE AGAIN FOR THE CAPS......
                          VERY SINCERELY,
                          DUSTY

Comment

Don't worry about the caps, Dusty. It's the words we care about. Thanks for thinking about the fans. A lot of people really enjoyed seeing you and your airplane running ahead of the Mustangs this year.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by Florian View Post
                              I find the performance of John "Dusty" Dowd in the small Yak-11 "Lylia" this year quite remarkable - 376mph average speed out of a R-1830 powered Yak-11 is really interesting. Back in 2012 Will Whiteside was able to get 395mph out of Steadfast but equipped with the R-2000 engine and several modifications.
                              I'm really interested to know how the sound of the Yak-11 was at the last race on Sunday.

Best regards,
                              Florian
                              Boy Oh Howdy Dusty Dowd! WHAT an IMPRESSIVE showing!

I tried to get as many shots as I could of him and the plane, I've just gotten back to my home and probably won't be able to dig much tonight... I work one day a week, it was SUPPOSED to be TODAY but I did not have the stamina to drive all the way back to my little corner of the Pacific Northwest in one shot.. So, tomorrow is "day job stuff"

I will do my best to get ONE up tonight!

PS: I probably come into these threads arse backwards because I read them via email that shows latest post first, so if I state a "Captain Obvious" due to not reading things from the bottom up... PLEASE FORGIVE ME! I've got 84 messages in the digest to read/respond

Love you guys!
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X