Sunday Jet Gold?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Jet Gold?!

I don't think it has been mentioned here, but that was my favorite race.

American Spirit leading the pack down the chute and 2 dark colored aircraft made their way up to the front, one of them REALLY moving, oh it must be Fast Company, almost nearing the valley of speed this dark aircraft shoots straight up in the air (damn a mayday!), but wait, American Spirit comes around the corner followed by Fast Company.... WAS THAT THE VAMPIRE?!?! He dumps the Vampire back on the course near the end of the VOS and starts hauling the mail to catch up. By now I already considered him DQ as I have never seen something this crazy. This Vampire was MOVING!!!!! After the drastic pull up he went back into the race and used the remaining 5 laps to pass everyone except 8 and 5 to take 3rd in the race. All I know is that if he didn't do that crazy pull up, I think the jet could've won...
    WOW!!!!

Now does anyone have video?!?!?1
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 09-19-2016, 09:08 PM.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Sunday Jet Gold?!

I'm pretty sure that I saw the vampire pitch abruptly down before he pitched up and went high. I suspect that he hit wake turbulence and had to aggressively recover. The announcers actually explained that it's legal to climb out to sort out a problem and then re-enter the race, as long as their course never cuts a pylon.

I'm wondering about the 515mph speed limit on the jet class. The vampire must have been exceeding this by quite a bit in order to make up so much time on the leaders, who were around 500mph.

Also, the vampire must have been sandbagging hard all week long because he never went much over 460 until the gold race on Sunday when he was much faster than that.

I agree that the jets were run this year.

-Wade

Comment

That was an awesome race for sure, right up there with the T-6 Gold race. Rad2ltr (Will) got the story on what happened I think. I don't remember the details well enough unfortunately.

I definitely think the Vampire could have won it if he would have been able to stay in.

One other note on that race, from my vantage point in the grandstand it looked like it was a really low start. -Like they were practically at course height when the pace jet pulled up.

Comment

Last years gold and this years gold were both great races. Sure seems like those guys bounce around a lot though. Still a little scary to watch. And the start looked really low to me also.

Comment

Looked like the Vampire just kinda got spit out of the group in the back. Much safer than trying to ride it out. Exciting race but very scary to me. That Soko kept getting upside down on 8 and 1.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
          X