2016's 8 Injured Aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016's 8 Injured Aircraft

Good and thoughtful post, Wade. There are a lot of people out there in the Faceplant world who have no idea how real life works.

There were only two first responders here. The fireman did his job. He made sure the plane was safed, and he assessed the pilot's condition. When he saw things were under control he got out of the way and controlled access to the scene. Perfectly and gently done under the circumstances. The other guy who came in from the right is, I think, Thom's crew chief. If so he and Thom know each other. He double checked the switches, fuel etc., assessed Thom's condition and answered Thom's questions clearly and succinctly, and got Thom out of the cockpit and walking. As Thom pointed out in his text, that is important for everyone to see. He did his job.

All very professionally handled. The most upset person in the video is the other pilot, who was clearly terrified that he had killed a friend. Thom settled that down nicely at the end of the video.

A terribly bad situation for all concerned, but the aftermath couldn't have been handled better, IMO.

Neal

Comment

Thanks, LoveOldPlanes. Most of my questions have been answered at this point.

"It was a little disconcerting for me to scream "heads up!" and have the others look at me instead of look for danger...! "

It's easy to forget that the Racers and crews are, hopefully, professionals. The media are not, necessarily. For these starts they should probably get a short brief from whoever is assigned to transport them out there on emergency procedures and signals in an emergency as well as what to watch out for on their own. This is done well on the pylons for the Press out there, but from what I remember is not always done for the IF1 starts. In earlier years the media out there for the Formula starts tended to be seasoned pros, but as time goes on these things change.

That is certainly a potentially dangerous place to be. Newbies should be aware of that...

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by bill_f View Post
        Amazing footage getting a lot of attention -- don't be surprised to see Thom on the talk-show circuit
        Famous, and controversial actress some of you youngsters may not remember, Mae West was once quoted "the only bad publicity is no publicity"....

IF Thom winds up on the talk shows, it would be HUGE for the sport! MILLIONS of dollars of FREE publicity for the event and the class! ANNNND, it would be great to have Thom explain all the safety features that ARE in place that kept both pilots alive, DESPITE the miscue on the start...

I absolutely HATE that this happened, but we might get to make some lemonade here, Thom is an EXCELLENT spokesman, handsome as hell and a great asset to the sport.. Fingers crossed

Hope my show business background attitude does not rub anyone wrong!

This doesn't have the quote but it's priceless!

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

With TWO busted airplanes now, a little appearance money would probably be welcome

Comment

The British tabloids sure do know how to use sensational language....

THIS is the shocking moment a US stunt pilot was almost decapitated by the wing of a speeding plane. Race pilot Thom Richard was about to take off in the Reno National Championship Air Races in the…

Comment

Originally posted by gordonronco View Post
              Someone in the comments where the video was linked on Reddit was trying to call him out for being rude to the first responders. I honestly saw it as him not establishing blame on Steve or anyone else, but him making sure he didn't put someone else in danger by not following procedure. It's colored with shock and adrenaline, and I thought he did the best possible job staying composed despite the situation, going so far as asking about Steve's condition while being asked if he was ok.
              IMHO, Thom wasn't rude at all and we've already given the person on Reddit more bandwidth than his/her comment was worth.

Thom's a professional, a class act and a credit to all of air racing.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
                IMHO, Thom wasn't rude at all and we've already given the person on Reddit more bandwidth than his/her comment was worth.

Thom's a professional, a class act and a credit to all of air racing.
                Considering what had just happened, I thought Thom was VERY composed.

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
                  The British tabloids sure do know how to use sensational language....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/182313...-horror-smash/

I think the British tabloids INVENTED sensational language. ;-)
                  Last edited by Pete; 09-21-2016, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                    Good and thoughtful post, Wade. There are a lot of people out there in the Faceplant world who have no idea how real life works.

There were only two first responders here. The fireman did his job. He made sure the plane was safed, and he assessed the pilot's condition. When he saw things were under control he got out of the way and controlled access to the scene. Perfectly and gently done under the circumstances. The other guy who came in from the right is, I think, Thom's crew chief. If so he and Thom know each other. He double checked the switches, fuel etc., assessed Thom's condition and answered Thom's questions clearly and succinctly, and got Thom out of the cockpit and walking. As Thom pointed out in his text, that is important for everyone to see. He did his job.

All very professionally handled. The most upset person in the video is the other pilot, who was clearly terrified that he had killed a friend. Thom settled that down nicely at the end of the video.

A terribly bad situation for all concerned, but the aftermath couldn't have been handled better, IMO.

Neal
                    The fellow who came from the right is one of the RARA folks who facilitates the starts. Hence why Thom asked him a number of questions. Thom's Crew Cheif this year is the outstanding John Preacher, a veteran member of the PM team. He stepped up when last year's chief took Thom's advice and bought Cassutt "Sonic Zoom" to race for himself.

The team didnt see the incident, as they were moving on the tow vehicle to their assigned spot between the hangars. There first hint was when they couldnt find Thom or Steve passing in the race and saw the emergency crews responding.....!

Oh...and Thom is due to be on "Good Morning America" (think i got it right...on the Facebook page for sure...) tomorrow morning.

Comment

Thank you, LOP. I've been away long enough that I don't know who's who anymore. Hope I didn't offend anybody.

Neal

Comment

Working...
                      X