What did you notice was different from last year at the races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What did you notice was different from last year at the races

Way too many commercials by the announcers.

I didn't have a problem as much with the number of cars as the way they were driven. I had to dodge a honking vehicle barreling through at 20 per too many times. Got scary and VERY unsafe. A few carts were driven just as bad.

By the time Sunday rolled around the T-6 drag race was pretty good.

The sports slaloms were interesting comparisons although not edge of seat stuff.

I think it would have been good if during the various "incidents" the announcers had made a point, once conditions were known, of telling us the pilots were OK. Seemed to me they were trying their best to simply ignore it.

I had several, um, "discussions" with a specific couple of ramp security dudes. One ended in a threat to have the sheriff come and remove me and revolved around me tying my shoe "in an unsafe manner". For the most part they were polite. though. I am assuming they are all volunteers, maybe a better screening to eliminate the would-be dictators in the group? Ask me not to do something I am glad to comply. Come at me screaming, spittling and threatening and the game is on!
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post

I think it would have been good if during the various "incidents" the announcers had made a point, once conditions were known, of telling us the pilots were OK. Seemed to me they were trying their best to simply ignore it.
      yes this. Could take some time to get the word out, but make the announcement.

And please announce that Leo is safe after tying his shoes the way he does.

Comment

The new sound system co. had the speakers on a tripod pole and they were in the way. Sitting in a box seat a speaker was right in front of home pylon and ruined my picture taking. The previous co. had speakers on the ground. Probably cheaper.
        NBC Sports was not visible like last year.

Comment

Well I noticed right off Budweiser was the official beer and no mores Coors.

May explain why I enjoyed it so much on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
            Well I noticed right off Budweiser was the official beer and no mores Coors.

May explain why I enjoyed it so much on Sunday.

Did you also notice the Budweiser banner had the Super Corsair on it? I thought that was a cool touch.

Will

Comment

...I had several, um, "discussions" with a specific couple of ramp security dudes. One ended in a threat to have the sheriff come and remove me and revolved around me tying my shoe "in an unsafe manner". For the most part they were polite. though. I am assuming they are all volunteers...
              Leo, not completely sure about who ran which branch of the security this year. In the evenings, for sure, it was a private firm. I think you are right that during the day, they were volunteers.

If I had to put my finger on what was "wrong" this year, it would be the "vibe"..

It seemed everyone was scared in one way or another...

Maybe not an accurate description of the reality of it but, that's what it felt like...

In the past, everyone seemed to know where they stood and what they could or could not do to get a given job done, this year I, FELT,... MY internal feeling, it just felt like a lot of folks were running scared??

Crap, this post will likely get me banned but it's not meant to be critical, merely informative as to what I felt there this year..
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I actually used to work for the security company that was there at night, back in the dark days of two jobs to survive...

It was the daytime ramp security, and only actually two of them in particular. I was not the only one having issues with these individuals. A group of us commented we needed shirts declaring "Fear the K-Rail!"
                For the most part, 99.9%, the security and all the volunteers were great.

I had a great time this year, in spite of discovering I'm "getting to old for this chit".
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

I actually used to work for the security company that was there at night, back in the dark days of two jobs to survive...

It was the daytime ramp security, and only actually two of them in particular. I was not the only one having issues with these individuals. A group of us commented we needed shirts declaring "Fear the K-Rail!"
                  For the most part, 99.9%, the security and all the volunteers were great.

I had a great time this year, in spite of discovering I'm "getting to old for this chit".
                  I concur, roger the getting too old!
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

We were busy in the pits a good part of each day, so I may have missed it, but were there any heritage flights this year? I don't remember seeing one on the schedules.

In the past, I've enjoyed the heritage flights and had hoped to see one involving a F-35.

Comment

No Heritage flights. They had the F6F, F8F and F-18 there, no legacy pilots?

The F-35 kind of snuck in. I never saw it arrive (and I was there crazy-stupid hours) but turned a corner and there it was. A short demo would have been nice, we've all paid enough for it!
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Not enough team shirts. I would have bought team sanders and Czech Mate shirts. And yes I saw the others that were there so not talking about those so I don't need a list of them.

Comment

Working...
                        X