What did you notice was different from last year at the races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did you notice was different from last year at the races

1. There were showers in camping area for participants.
    2. Voodoo had a trump pence election sticker

Re: What did you notice was different from last year at the races

I did see the showers for the participants, and I also saw the $10 cost for a shower there. Ouch. Showers at the church are only $4.

I also saw a lot more people in the stands on Sunday.

Will

Comment

I did not see the guys that walks around with the jump suit full of patches and golf club with his little dog. I have seen him the last 10 + years . Have a photo of him somewhere .

Comment

Originally posted by AiRick View Post
        I did not see the guys that walks around with the jump suit full of patches and golf club with his little dog. I have seen him the last 10 + years . Have a photo of him somewhere .
        I saw him and his dog in the pits on Saturday and Sunday.

Comment

Good ! Thanks ...
          Last edited by AiRick; 09-19-2016, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
            I did see the showers for the participants, and I also saw the $10 cost for a shower there. Ouch. Showers at the church are only $4.

I also saw a lot more people in the stands on Sunday.

Will
            Yes, I thought $10.00 was high
            They are free at Oshkosh

Comment

Sharon Coates was missing. Any info on her?

Comment

Originally posted by rmcintire View Post
                Sharon Coates was missing. Any info on her?
                Announcers said she finally retired after saying she wanted to for multiple years
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

1. Saturday and Sunday crowds were pretty good. Blue Angels were a big part of that, saw lots of people leave after their performance both days.

2. Way to many cars driving through the pit area. Looks like they made part of the pits a VIP parking area. Seemed like there were always a car driving past, made me nervous at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Rarebearcat View Post
                    1. Saturday and Sunday crowds were pretty good. Blue Angels were a big part of that, saw lots of people leave after their performance both days.

2. Way to many cars driving through the pit area. Looks like they made part of the pits a VIP parking area. Seemed like there were always a car driving past, made me nervous at times.
                    I thought the same thing about the crowds on Saturday, but Sunday felt different. Saturday everyone was gone after the Blues but Sunday I felt a good amount of them stayed. The place was definitely packed
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by AiRick View Post
                      I saw him and the dog up by the pit pedestrian gate on Sunday.
                      Last edited by Skyracer; 09-19-2016, 09:27 PM.

Comment

They left music playing over the loudspeakers all through each race. I may just have missed it in prior years, but I found it annoying this year and I don't remember being annoyed before.

Apparently they had a new company providing sound this year and it was a big downgrade. All week long, there was a nasty echo audible from my seats that made most of the conversation nearly (and in some cases) completely incomprehensible. Also, the sound dropped out many times during the unlimited gold introduction. I know that lots here criticize the announcers, but it least in the past, you could hear what they were saying.

Lots of people in the grandstands around us made comments about the thin unlimited field, and a few were unhappy that there were not more military demos (other than the Blues) and there was no heritage or legacy flight.

I thought that the opening ceremony on each day was shorter than in the past, and I appreciated that.

I find the sport slalom race to be more interesting than the T-6 drag race. The T-6 race is almost always won by the plane on the inside. The sports avoid this by doing two runs by each pairing and they swap places on the second run.

NBC sports was apparently there, but I never saw them at all. Last year, they were lots more visible and even had a helicopter flying in the infield.

-Wade

Comment

This was my first time there but..

I saw the NBC sports people in the pits and filming the general admission stands.

The box seats really cleared out after the Blue Angels both days in front of the general admissions stands. I sat in the GA stands instead of the box seat ticket I had all week for a better view as people were standing in front of me in the other boxes.

I totally agree of all the cars in the pits.........
                          May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

I saw lots of people leaving after the Blues also, but they do put on a good show. It's a long day out there!

The stands were packed on Sunday but walking past the RV lots I noticed they weren't even close to being full. Maybe some hard core fans didn't show because of the thin unlimited field but were replaced by walk up traffic?

I miss the Heritage competition but there was a lot of military stuff there.

The PA is annoying to say the least. The announcers are OK but they don't have to give running commentary for a whole race! It's not radio, I'm watching! And during the duck walk they read commercials for what seemed like 15 straight minutes. At extremely high volume.

Comment

Originally posted by wadeh View Post

NBC sports was apparently there, but I never saw them at all. Last year, they were lots more visible and even had a helicopter flying in the infield.

-Wade
                              NBC Sports was all over the pits, etc. I know they placed GoPro cameras on several racers and having seen some of the footage, it's very good.
                              Last edited by FlyKidChris; 09-21-2016, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X