Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biplane Gold landing mishap #17 and #23 damaged

I don't know whom ran into whom as I was watching the F1s parade by

As I recall, the right strut of #23 was also damaged.

well off to bed to get up at 1:45 to catch my flight.................
    Attached Files
    May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Re: Biplane Gold landing mishap #17 and #23 damaged

Odd pattern of damage. Boy, the first and second place airplanes. Both with a lot of racing history -- both been around Reno for many years.

Another Reno 2016 story we'll probably never hear.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
      Odd pattern of damage. Boy, the first and second place airplanes. Both with a lot of racing history -- both been around Reno for many years.

Another Reno 2016 story we'll probably never hear.
      Viewed from the Sport Class pits. Jeff (#23) won the gold and pitched up into the cooldown, Eric (#17) went across in 2nd and turned very aggressively to a low downwind and immediate landing on Runway 8. Jeff flew the cooldown and then a normal pattern. On landing he bounced a few times which took him pretty far down the runway. When he finally got the tail down I remarked that he was going to overrun #17 but apparently the bipes don't use a hot/cold runway protocol. #23 right wing contacted #17 left wing with about 30-40kts overtake. #17 spun around and stopped, #23 spun halfway around, then separated and slid backwards for a few hundred feet. CFR was onsite in about 45 seconds and both pilots were out of the aircraft within a few minutes.

I spoke with both pilots later in the morning - both were unhurt, a little shaken up but in good spirits. #23 has lots of damage with both pilot and crew chief calling "totalled" and #17 might be repairable.

Comment

Thanks for the report, and the photos. I'd guess there will be some discussions about those hot/cold protocols after this one. Those taildraggers are really blind once the tail is down, and the little aerobatic bipes are directionally unstable in landing at best. I'm just glad the pilots came out of it OK...

Neal

Comment

Working...
        X