Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Formula One Gold

Originally posted by Sven42 View Post
    If it's not the same airframe, then they've pulled one over on the FAA. It has the same N number
    N-numbers are transferable. Wingman is correct, it is not Shadow.

Comment

Remember the attractive red and white airplane Charlie Greer raced for several years as #69? It was named Miss B. Haven. That was originally Shadow. It actually was built using the fuselage molds originally built for Nemesis. Dan bought the molds from Jon Sharp. Dan used a much more conventional thin wing profile on Shadow, and always felt that had been a mistake, as it never came close to Nemesis performance under Dan or Charlie. It was a solid Gold Race airplane, but never really close to winning. The airplane project which became Fraed Not was a direct result of Dan's experience with Shadow, but was a completely new design, with nothing in common with Shadow.

Neal

Comment

Ok. Sorry, my mistake. The registry info lead me to think otherwise.

Comment

All good info, thanks everyone.
          Does anyone a photo of Fraught Naught?

Comment

Thinking back I don't think John would sell the wing molds. all part of the deal.
            I saw Shadow race a couple of times. Reno and IIRC Boundry Bay. I met and talked to Dan a couple of times, nice gentleman.

Comment

You are right there -- the Nemesis wing was quite radical at the time, and they were very careful about releasing anything of a detailed technical nature about that wing. The fuselage was actually essentially a Shoestring shape and size. It was radical in that it had no internal frame or any metal at all but was entirely conventional in shape. The wing was a very different matter.

And yes, Dan was a really nice and very intelligent man.

Neal
              Last edited by wingman; 09-18-2016, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotel Sierra View Post
                All good info, thanks everyone.
                Does anyone a photo of Fraught Naught?

Now I really gotta get to bed zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
                May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Fraed Naught is a lot smaller than Nemesis. In fact anyone much over 5'6" will not fit in it. Lowell did a lot of aerodynamic work on the airplane after he bought it. He had a lot of help and ideas from a lot of people but he did everything himself including painting it. After getting two race engines built by others he built this engine including doing all the port work. Not only a great pilot but also a master craftsman. Hope Endeavor and Hot Stuff get back together so there can be some good competition. Between moving from Ohio to Idaho and working away from home all summer he only had a week to get it ready for Reno this year. He has a few things that will get done this winter and the time to do it so you should see a better faster Fraed Naught next year. We might even get to fly it a few times before next year. Don

Comment

One other thing is that the engine still has less than 2hrs on it even after all the races and is running on break in oil. He said it was starting to loosen up in the Gold race and was seeing an extra 100 or so RPM.

Comment

Thanks for the information Don. Congratulations to all of you for a great Reno week!

Neal

Comment

Dan Gilbert is a good 5 or 6 inches shorter than Jon Sharp.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by Sven42 View Post
                          They said both pilots were ok, but Thom may have an injury to his hand.
                          Saw Thom at the awards, his hand was in a sling and it is injured, he did not seem concerned about the level of the injury. Airplane is substantially damaged but repairable, crated, in a container and headed to Thailand... Where, from what I understand, the repairs will take place

IFI.. and I mean INTERNATIONAL FORUMLA ONE is becoming an INTERNATIONAL sensation!

I wish I had the budget and energy I had almost 20 years ago!

Man, I attacked Tunica in '05! I'd love to have the energy to go for this now! Amazing what a decade does to a body!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by yakdriver View Post
                            Fraed Naught is a lot smaller than Nemesis. In fact anyone much over 5'6" will not fit in it. Lowell did a lot of aerodynamic work on the airplane after he bought it. He had a lot of help and ideas from a lot of people but he did everything himself including painting it. After getting two race engines built by others he built this engine including doing all the port work. Not only a great pilot but also a master craftsman. Hope Endeavor and Hot Stuff get back together so there can be some good competition. Between moving from Ohio to Idaho and working away from home all summer he only had a week to get it ready for Reno this year. He has a few things that will get done this winter and the time to do it so you should see a better faster Fraed Naught next year. We might even get to fly it a few times before next year. Don
                            It's not just smaller, but look how low the wing is. When Lowell had the airplane in Midland back in 2013 I tried to get in it. I'm not exactly tall and there was no way I could get my legs under the spar.

Comment

I'd have to chop of my feet at the ankles and somehow remove my head to fit. Lowell is a tight fit in it and he's a small guy.

Comment

A few PhotosClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4443.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	474.5 KB
ID:	228314Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4444.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	553.7 KB
ID:	228315Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4445.jpg