Vampire jet down. Pilot is OK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vampire jet down. Pilot is OK

Glad to see he made it down safe! At least he still has race 28 in sport class to run some laps in! He might have a chance of winning his race tomorrow if the plane ahead of him bumps up.
    Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
      His crew told us that the emergency started when the glass came out of the canopy. He pulled power and exited the course. When he went to put power back in to head for a landing, the engine quit making power and he didn't have enough energy to make the runway. He had to put it in the desert with the gear up.
      I tried to get to talk with Pete today but he was in an airplane at the time I had to get by his pit..

He did talk on the PA later in the day and explained what happened... sort of.. questions that should have been asked in his interview were left open and he told the story... but from what I've heard "officially"

OK, Pete said in the interview that he heard a loud BANG, he didn't mention anything about the plexi or canopy separating... (where follow up questions come in) We have heard a lot of talk (from officials) that there was a bird strike (the loud bang?)

At any rate, Pete told the story of pulling up to 11k feet realizing he was too high for intended runway, after adjustment for height/speed/etc he attempted to land on a runway but now needed power and when he went for throttle, he was at idle and could get no more.

No "official" word yet whether the "bang" and the canopy either departing or being damaged was related to the engine failure.

We had Pete right there and, unless I missed something (hard to do with the speaker volume in the pits) he did his best to tell the story but with all the excitement and such, he would have benefited from a good follow uper or two..
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Glad he's OK and disappointing that when 2 Vampires finally show up that one goes down. Not at all a fan of the stinking diesel burners but at least these little planes add some interest and relief from the usual jet boredom.

Comment

Originally posted by GeeBeeZ1931 View Post
          Glad he's OK and disappointing that when 2 Vampires finally show up that one goes down. Not at all a fan of the stinking diesel burners but at least these little planes add some interest and relief from the usual jet boredom.
          As a previous food runner during the jet races, I have to say that the jets were anything but boring. There were some great races out there. A lot more passing then in the past and the pilots did a great job. Very entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by kennsmithf2g View Post
            Here he is after pulling off the course

He still had the speed brakes out when he headed for 14. I think that is one reason he couldn't make it.

Comment

Picture here of what is left: http://www.nvracingnews.com/2016/09/...urday-sept-17/
              Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                Ouch... Interesting photo! For now since it's against our copyright policy to "hot link" a photo I'm going to have to remove it, however, I can leave the link

We were told by Media OPS at RENO to NOT take or publish anything from the incident, I hope they have Pete's permission to use the shot.

Pete told me at the Banquet that the airplane is toast but will be used for parts for another they are working on! Glad to hear he's still in the game!
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                X