Unlimited Info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlimited Info?

I know there's not many unlimiteds in the Pits, but there's got to be some news on them, even if its just rumors. Can someone post some tidbits and even better some photos?

What's up with Voodoo and Czechmate? Any work going on with either of them or are they just sitting pretty waiting for tomorrow? Have there been any engine runs or morning flights?

All info & photos appreciated!

Re: Unlimited Info?

Is Dreadnut OK after its issues the other day? Has it flown since?

I suspect it's going to be a very quiet year for Unlimited news -- nobody will have to run hard and there just aren't many of them.

Kerch has always said, though, that he's more scared in a year like this than a year like 1991, for instance. Problems he could always deal with, but he really feared complacency. When a crew has little to do and feels like they have nothing to fear, mistakes get made and things overlooked.

I wonder how many Dawn Patrol flights will be made. That was always a big Kerchenfaut thing, and this year there is no Kerchenfaut...

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
      Is Dreadnut OK after its issues the other day? Has it flown since?

I suspect it's going to be a very quiet year for Unlimited news -- nobody will have to run hard and there just aren't many of them.

Kerch has always said, though, that he's more scared in a year like this than a year like 1991, for instance. Problems he could always deal with, but he really feared complacency. When a crew has little to do and feels like they have nothing to fear, mistakes get made and things overlooked.

I wonder how many Dawn Patrol flights will be made. That was always a big Kerchenfaut thing, and this year there is no Kerchenfaut...

Neal
      Czech is relaxing in the pits
      Voodoo was out running the engine earlier
      Dreadnought and the rest of them are ready to go, Dread ran on Tuesday just fine
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I sopke to one of the Dreadnaught crew on tuesday regarding the Monday mayday. He said they stayed to 9pm changing 56 spark plugs! It's all good now, and she sounded great rounding the pylons!

Race 29
        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Good to hear. I wonder how long it takes to change 56 spark plugs, and how much it costs...

Comment

One of the photo pros posted an old picture of Super Corsair getting a plug change, some time in the past year. It looked like they put four guys on it, two on the ground, left and right, one one on each wing. Access looks pretty clear, once they disconnect the leads and get them out of the way. I bet that went fairly fast.

If safety wire is involved on the leads, never mind the fast part!

I wonder if Dread's crew (for that matter, the crew of every Globemaster, Strat and B-36) does/did it the same way.
            Last edited by 88SC; 09-15-2016, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 88SC View Post
              ... (for that matter, the crew of every Globemaster, Strat and B-36) does/did it the same way.
              And C-119s...

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                Good to hear. I wonder how long it takes to change 56 spark plugs, and how much it costs...
                Cost wise, when we we're racing the Rare Bear the plugs were always sponsored. Even when CHAMPION made us the set of plugs nobody else ever got.
                John
                John Slack

Comment

Lots of great rookies in Unlimited this year. Gotta be some good stories.
                  Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                    Cost wise, when we we're racing the Rare Bear the plugs were always sponsored. Even when CHAMPION made us the set of plugs nobody else ever got.
                    John
                    John, Mr. SparkPlug is still here to this day looking for guys like Lyle to hitch their wagon to!

There will NEVER be another Lyle Shelton, but, dammy, there's some young'uns who are pretty amazing people! Given the right pushes from sponsors and wise old sages, some of these new blood folks might just put a few new marks in the record books!
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Where is Kerch, I hope he is in good health? Its not Reno with him not there...

Comment

He's in San Jose, and doing OK. Health is fine.

First Reno he's missed in close to 50 years. Hard to imagine a Reno without Bill.
                        Last edited by wingman; 09-16-2016, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Thank you again Neal...

Lynn

Comment

Working...
                          X