Formula One Heat 1A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formula One Heat 1A

Interesting results here. If anybody with connections in the class could give a report it would be appreciated. I'd be especially interested in impressions of the start and the first lap or so.

Neal

Re: Formula One Heat 1A

Wow!

Neal .. You're not the only one..

So interesting at this time to see what's going on the the Formula's. Can't wait! Leave tomorrow..

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
      Interesting results here. If anybody with connections in the class could give a report it would be appreciated. I'd be especially interested in impressions of the start and the first lap or so.

Neal
      Can't tell you about the front, but the low flying DQ was a safety precaution as race #1 took the turn wide and started to crowd 79's space, meeting held afterward
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Interesting -- that doesn't sound like Thom. Remember, though, that Thom is banked left so cannot see anybody outside him at the same level. I love that airplane (#1), but have always wondered what takeoff (and landing) would be like for it. That's a lot of wing very close to the ground, and I could imagine odd things happening with ground effect and such. That is part of why I'm interested in the start and early laps of the race.

The Formula 1 (and Biplane) starts are some of the hairiest moments in Air Racing. Everybody is slow and unstable, trying to accelerate in ground effect, squinting into the blinding sun, and aiming for the same point...

I'd really like to see #79 do well. It's the first new build Shoestring racer in a very long time and I love Shoestrings. To end up in the Gold grouping in a year like this is quite an achievement. I've heard Justin is a good guy, too.

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping to hear more.

Neal

Comment

Interesting -- that doesn't sound like Thom. Remember, though, that Thom is banked left so cannot see anybody outside him at the same level. I love that airplane (#1), but have always wondered what takeoff (and landing) would be like for it. That's a lot of wing very close to the ground, and I could imagine odd things happening with ground effect and such. That is part of why I'm interested in the start and early laps of the race.

The Formula 1 (and Biplane) starts are some of the hairiest moments in Air Racing. Everybody is slow and unstable, trying to accelerate in ground effect, squinting into the blinding sun, and aiming for the same point...

I'd really like to see #79 do well. It's the first new build Shoestring racer in a very long time and I love Shoestrings. To end up in the Gold grouping in a year like this is quite an achievement. I've heard Justin is a good guy, too.

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping to hear more.

Neal
          79 is not a new build. It's a former Wagner airplane. Then it went to Gary Austin, then to Matt Jackson. . Justin crew did a full restoration on it though.
          Last edited by Race5; 09-14-2016, 07:41 PM.

Comment

There was also a protest afterward regarding dangerous flying. I won't post the names involved here, but it seems the results will stand as is. I was most impressed by Jim Jordan coming from the second row to second place.

Comment

Neal
              Fraed Naught jumped out to an early lead from the start. Miss Min fell into place behind and held its own. Every lap after that Endeavor made the attempts to pass. He would almost make t, and then lose it going into the first turns after the home straight. Scarlet Screamer was in place in fourth and slowly lost ground to the 2/3 battle ahead of it. Hot Stuff got off the ground slow and while a nice line was flown, it stayed in it's late place throughout the race. No Strings Attached pushed a bit to hard and got a DQ for low flying. Didn't see the details. Madness stayed its place in line behind Hot Stuff for most of the race.

Miss Min is back after a multiple year complete radical makeover including a new design/ build wing. It went from a cloth covered Cassutt to a carbon fiber clothed custom skinned monster. It handily held off the advances of Endeavor every time they came.

Yes, Justin is an awesome guy. He and Phillip Goforth are fireballs of energy and commitment for the class. Everybody this year has taken to heart the lessons and leadership learned from our recently lost late great Jay Jones. There are AMAZING stories within the class right now, and a whole bunch of awesome stuff happening there. Even with the early intervention of Dr Wing-Ding Ding, things have been going great every since.

Comment

Dee-dog-dang.. I WISH I could have seen all of that. Thank-you for the commentary. Wow. Exciting stuff.

- Joseph

Comment

How many airplanes is Goforth flying this year!
                  Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                    How many airplanes is Goforth flying this year!
                    So far he has flown 4, raced 3. That number will likely increase through the week.

Comment

Thanks from me too for the great description. I really love Formula 1, and the way this Reno is shaping up they're who I miss seeing most, I think.

Race 5 -- who owned this Shoestring before Justin? Is it an ex-racer? I did not know any had changed hands in recent years. It has a stock oval wing, doesn't it -- seems like it from the few pictures I've seen. If so it must have a heck of a motor.

LoveOldPlanes -- Thank you. Sounds like Endeavor is a bit faster than Miss Min, but maybe not as strong in the turns? Of course to pass you have to fly farther. It's interesting that Fraed Not is such a fast starter. That's unusual in the really fast airplanes. I do know that a quicker start than Nemesis was a hope and goal in the original design process. If you can get in front on takeoff and then sustain 250+ you will be VERY hard to beat.

Did Slatter line up on the left in the front row? I know Senegal has generally chosen to line up on the outside, presumably because Endeavor is not a real fast starter.

Does anyone know who built the new wing on Miss Min?

And who is "Dr Wing-Ding Ding"??

Neal

Comment

Thanks from me too for the great description. I really love Formula 1, and the way this Reno is shaping up they're who I miss seeing most, I think.

Race 5 -- who owned this Shoestring before Justin? Is it an ex-racer? I did not know any had changed hands in recent years. It has a stock oval wing, doesn't it -- seems like it from the few pictures I've seen. If so it must have a heck of a motor.

LoveOldPlanes -- Thank you. Sounds like Endeavor is a bit faster than Miss Min, but maybe not as strong in the turns? Of course to pass you have to fly farther. It's interesting that Fraed Not is such a fast starter. That's unusual in the really fast airplanes. I do know that a quicker start than Nemesis was a hope and goal in the original design process. If you can get in front on takeoff and then sustain 250+ you will be VERY hard to beat.

Did Slatter line up on the left in the front row? I know Senegal has generally chosen to line up on the outside, presumably because Endeavor is not a real fast starter.

Neal
                        Originally a Wagner airplane. Gary Austin had it, then Matt Jackson, then Just bought it and restored it. Stock wing, stock shape carbon tail. Slatter was on the inside. Dr Wing Ding is the name given to a certain crew guy that ran over a racer's wing tip during setup. Luckily it resulted in only cosmetic damage.
                        Last edited by Race5; 09-14-2016, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Neal

No Strings Attached has undergone a great deal of work over the last two years. I think the wing has been changed. Last year it showed up so fresh from mods that the primer on it smelled like it had just been sprayed. I know it as Gary Austin's plane through a brief friendship with him before his passing.

Once Miss Min gets sorted out 100% it will be a force to contend with. I spoke to a crew member at some length and if I remember it right the wing is constructed by Catto, but designed by another noted designer (I can't remember name right now...). There was a story about this exact wing in "Kitplanes" about a year ago.

I should know who started where, but was very,very, very busy learning a new skill during the race and have sort of forgotten as a result some of the details....

Comment

Originally posted by LoveOldPlanes View Post
                            No Strings Attached has undergone a great deal of work over the last two years. I think the wing has been changed. Last year it showed up so fresh from mods that the primer on it smelled like it had just been sprayed. I know it as Gary Austin's plane through a brief friendship with him before his passing.

Once Miss Min gets sorted out 100% it will be a force to contend with. I spoke to a crew member at some length and if I remember it right the wing is constructed by Catto, but designed by another noted designer (I can't remember name right now...). There was a story about this exact wing in "Kitplanes" about a year ago.

I should know who started where, but was very,very, very busy learning a new skill during the race and have sort of forgotten as a result some of the details....
                            The wing on Miss Min was designed by Paulo Iscold, and built by Craig Catto. Vito has the same wing, and Justin Meaders' plane will have that wing as well. Lowell Slatter's wing looks very similar, but is not the same.

Comment

Justin has done a ton of work to No Strings this past year. I hear it looks really good this year.

Here are a couple pics from last year.

I'm really looking forward to shooting the F1 guys this year from a closer vantage point (and with a bigger, better lens.)

Comment

Working...
                              X