Detailed Report -Monday 9/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailed Report -Monday 9/12

Ok so I'm going to make this as short as possible... NOT! It will be very detailed report of everything I gathered via Facebook, the Sawbones live feed, Live ATC, and the reports website. Hope it's appreciated!

F1: They took to the course first in the morning. A majority of Cassutt airframes went up and qualified in Silver/Bronze heats. The top guys were:
    1. Fraed Naught 253.787mph -Congrats!!! With Endeavor using both laps, Race 31 may stay at the pole.
    2. Endeavor 250.431mph -That second place may change after the first heat race
    3. Scarlet Screamer 242.873mph -The fastest Cassutt out there! Solid speed

Thom Richard in Hot Stuff clocked 238.834mph using 1 of 2 laps. This put him in 4th He pulled off the course with a mayday just after. I have zero info about the cause and if it's being worked on.
    Knotty Girl and Madness took 5th and 6th respectively.

Biplane: Not necessarily a boring class, but not very competitive either. With Aberle and Phantom out, the field is open to whoever!
    1. Reno Rabbit 221.946mph
    2.Lady Luck 211.712mph
    3. Sunny Side Up 206.480mph

Still, not much competition for Jeff Rose in the Mong

T-6: Now it gets more fun! Two records were set today (with only one of them holding as an actual record). Dennis Buehn in Midnight Miss III "shattered" the 2010 record of 244mph by 5mph at 249.277mph. Minutes after, it was then broken by Nick Macy in Six Cat at 251.792mph!!! This is some GREAT racing this year.
    1. Six Cat 251.792mph
    2. Midnight Miss III 249.277mph
    3. Undecided 241.560mph

Besides these top 3, Radial Velocity qualified 4th, Barons Revenge in 6th, and surprisingly, Pole Dancer in 10th

Jet:
    Another very fun class this year. The qualifying began with 2 aircraft catching my eye. First was Czech 6 which improved its qualifying speed by 45+ mph this year. It holds 3rd at 486.434mph. Secondly was a new plane to race at Reno. The Galeb G2-A put down a hot lap of 477.570mph solidifying 4th place for now! Then the big boys took to the sky!!!
    1. American Spirit 513.177mph -This is REALLY moving! Nobody qualified over 500mph last year so this was special!
    2. Fast Company 498.939mph -She still has plenty in her... I know it!
    3. Czech 6 486.434mph -Like I said, very impressed

Both of the Vampires are yet to take it to the course. They will definitely mix up the top 3 spots so let's wait on them before placing bets!!!

I wanted to get these up now, I will edit this post with the Sport and Unlimited over the next hour or so
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 09-12-2016, 08:21 PM.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Detailed Report -Monday 9/12

GRNDP52,

Thankyou for posting.

Bill

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	160912Reno_0564-L.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	228269Click image for larger version

Name:	160912Reno_0239-L.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	228270Some Misc ground shots Flying shots still downloading.........

Name:	160912Reno_0641-M.jpg
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	228264

Name:	160912Reno_0009-M.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	228265

Name:	160912Reno_0586-M.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	228266

Name:	160912Reno_0019-M.jpg
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	228267

Name:	160912Reno_0497-L.jpg
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	228268
      May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Originally posted by kennsmithf2g View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]22255[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22256[/ATTACH]Some Misc ground shots Flying shots still downloading.........
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]22250[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]22251[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]22252[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]22253[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]22254[/ATTACH]
        Really bummed they took NACA off of the list, really wanted her to be a part of it this year
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Thanks for the great post!

Anybody have any idea what has changed in the T-6 class? Has there been a rules change, or change in rules on fuel? These speeds are pretty unbelievable. When the class started back around 1970 they took a while before even getting to 200 mph. In the Goss-Dilda era it was low to mid 230s. Buehn and Macy have made it into the 240s and now suddenly this. Something must have changed...

Too bad about Sport 33. I was really looking forward to her running well. So was Elliot, I suspect.

Neal

Comment

NACA is not racing after all? That's too bad.

Comment

I hate counting out Race 33 yet especially without any posts about it, so I'm just gonna hope for now.

And yes NACA is off the reports site, I hope it pops back up but i think it's too late in the game for that to happen now
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Well, never raced airplane with an owner with a lot invested in it, along with a total rookie pilot with not even PRS in his logbook. We'll have to see if it might still happen.

Thanks again for the great report.
                Last edited by wingman; 09-12-2016, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Also for Monday's ramp report:

232 and Rare Bear are in attendance as displays in the pits behind the general aviation display area.

Dreadnaught called a mayday this morning and landed safely. after a few checks, she started back up and taxied back to the pits under her own power. I didn't find out what the issue was, but I'll be back out tomorrow and see if I can find out.

Race 29
                  Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                    Thanks for the great post!

Anybody have any idea what has changed in the T-6 class? Has there been a rules change, or change in rules on fuel? These speeds are pretty unbelievable. When the class started back around 1970 they took a while before even getting to 200 mph. In the Goss-Dilda era it was low to mid 230s. Buehn and Macy have made it into the 240s and now suddenly this. Something must have changed...

Too bad about Sport 33. I was really looking forward to her running well. So was Elliot, I suspect.

Neal
                    It's mostly in regard rivalry between teams!

But also due to the course calculations Neal. I believe. Those times translated by the old standard would put the laps speeds around 240mph.

- Joseph

Comment

That would make some sense. I still wonder about fuels though. T-6 rules regarding fuels have gone through some changes over the years, and there are a number of additives that can make a big difference if allowed. These speeds are remarkable for the old slug no matter how they are being achieved.

Neal

Comment

Working...
                      X