• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Sunday...

Was there much flying today?

Neal

Re: First Sunday...

Didn't get out there until this afternoon. Lots of flying in the sport class. Blue Thunder looked fast, and so did #33. Pretty subjective observation though, I didn't clock anyone. That class appears to be taking over Reno. They even have some ramp space now.

A group of 5 or 6 unlimiteds flew, including Czech Mate and Aurgonaught, I believe. Czech Mate did 3 or 4 medium fast laps then pulled out. Appears to be fine. It'll be interesting to see if they have found more speed since the last time they were here.

Voodoo flew last. Steve hit the course hard and did 5 or so fairly hot laps. He flew a tight low line right from the start, really putting it on the deck through the valley of speed. I don't know what's going on with the team but the guy can really fly that course well.

Really bummed to see 232 and the Bear on static display, and it sucks that Kerch isn't here. I did see Pete Law driving around in his golf cart before I left though. At least some of the old guard is still around. That's another guy that needs to write a book!

Comment

Originally posted by Rampman View Post
      Didn't get out there until this afternoon. Lots of flying in the sport class. Blue Thunder looked fast, and so did #33. Pretty subjective observation though, I didn't clock anyone. That class appears to be taking over Reno. They even have some ramp space now.

A group of 5 or 6 unlimiteds flew, including Czech Mate and Aurgonaught, I believe. Czech Mate did 3 or 4 medium fast laps then pulled out. Appears to be fine. It'll be interesting to see if they have found more speed since the last time they were here.

Voodoo flew last. Steve hit the course hard and did 5 or so fairly hot laps. He flew a tight low line right from the start, really putting it on the deck through the valley of speed. I don't know what's going on with the team but the guy can really fly that course well.

Really bummed to see 232 and the Bear on static display, and it sucks that Kerch isn't here. I did see Pete Law driving around in his golf cart before I left though. At least some of the old guard is still around. That's another guy that needs to write a book!
      Here's what I got for the day via Sawbones live feed. Argonaut didn't go up, but 924 did. Mrs. Virginia, Wee Willy, and Naca all went up as well. I also saw Sport #30 One Moment go up with Blue 2. Didn't know #33 went up, but Elliot reported that she needed some parts from Mojave (flown in by a friend this evening). Everything going well so far
      Last edited by GRNDP51; 09-11-2016, 10:27 PM.
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Thank you. I'm really interested in what Voodoo does in qualifying. I certainly wish them well despite things that have happened. They're certainly trying some rather exotic new stuff, and technique-wise Steve is absolutely one of the greats. They are still one of the interesting stories of Reno 2016. I just wish there was another couple of airplanes there who could push them hard. 480 mph would be fun, but wouldn't prove much, in terms of all the changes.

Sports are certainly looking good. I have high hopes for a good year in IF1 too.

Neal

Comment

My bad. It was 924 that flew. I didn't see the formula Ones fly but I did walk through their hanger. Seemed to be a lot of positive energy in there. To be honest I found it a lot more interesting walking through there and watching the sports than hanging out with the unlimiteds. Can't ever remember feeling g like that before.

Comment

The IF1 class always has great people involved. That hangar was always a second home for us at Reno.

Those are real racers too. Usually not a daily flier in the bunch. They have fun, but are very serious Racers.

The Unlimited Class really does sound kind of sad. Not a lot of drama there, and I suspect that at times it'll feel like many of them are sort of "going through the motions". I'm really glad they got a couple more stockers. Even if they run slow, at least there will a couple of full races each day for the crowd. And ultimately the fans in the stands will determine whether the sport survives.

So maybe the big question of the week will be "Can Dusty's Yak beat NACA?"...

Neal
            Last edited by wingman; 09-11-2016, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
              The IF1 class always has great people involved. That hangar was always a second home for us at Reno.

Those are real racers too. Usually not a daily flier in the bunch. They have fun, but are very serious Racers.

The Unlimited Class really does sound kind of sad. Not a lot of drama there, and I suspect that at times it'll feel like many of them are sort of "going through the motions". I'm really glad they got a couple more stockers. Even if they run slow, at least there will a couple of full races each day for the crowd. And ultimately the fans in the stands will determine whether the sport survives.

Neal
              Big Iron in the pits will make the causal fan happy, seeing NACA in person will be cool to a lot of people, and those who haven't seen Blondie will definitely like it much more than "Jelly Belly".. There's an A model, I've been following POF's Facebook and every time they post something about that plane there's soooo much excitement in the comments. Hopefully that'll be alive at Reno.

And I've been going through my guess at the list the 12 will finish in come Sunday. I'm saying Bones and Dread will be a great race, and I'm calling NACA being the fastest mustang besides voodoo with either Dusty or The Rebel behind him. Seeing NACA in the gold race will make my year
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I have not been over here to aafo in a while, Thanks for the Reno updates, I'll make it out there someday.
                Robbie
                Fly Fast Make Noise!

Comment

Sawbones went up after the tower closed for the day. He flew 15 min or so. When returned to the ramp there seemed to be a fulid leaking onto the ramp. Not a major leak but it was noticeable from a distance.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post

Neal
                    Hi Neal,

Hope you and Birgitta are well. Yes indeed, F1 has always been a class of real racers and every bit as historic as the Unlimiteds of course.

It's a shame the UNL field isn't bigger this year and while it doesn't bode well, as you know this certainly wouldn't be the first time the class has "gone through the motions" in one way or another. There have been many instances of "exhibition racing" over the years.

Half in jest, half seriously - how about a battle of the top F1s vs. the top BiPs? It's an amusing thought...

J & E

Comment

Working...
                    X