What would the Unlimited field look like if:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would the Unlimited field look like if:

Reasonably speaking, these are the Gold contenders that we should see back on the ramp, if not by 2017, 2018.

This would essentially bring us back to where we were in 2014, correct?

Add to the mix the potential of #15, and that's a pretty good lineup.

One question .. Who are the young brains that are going to start stepping in, to take up the void? I'm talking about pilots and crew.

How many current IF1 / Sport class guys have their sights and dreams on Unlimited's?

What say you? I've heard people say that the Unlimited class will die, because there's not enough planes around, and it's too costly to chop up a Warbird. Well. I disagree.

Politics aside, we still have big Iron out there..

+1 for a big name like STIHL attaching their name to the event. Let's see if other follow suit for next year..

- Joseph

Re: What would the Unlimited field look like if:

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
    Reasonably speaking, these are the Gold contenders that we should see back on the ramp, if not by 2017, 2018.

One question .. Who are the young brains that are going to start stepping in, to take up the void? I'm talking about pilots and crew.

How many current IF1 / Sport class guys have their sights and dreams on Unlimited's?

What say you? I've heard people say that the Unlimited class will die, because there's not enough planes around, and it's too costly to chop up a Warbird. Well. I disagree.

+1 for a big name like STIHL attaching their name to the event. Let's see if other follow suit for next year..

- Joseph
    That is a VERY good line up and that's what I hope it will be back to one day. Potentially throw in Goldfinger and Miss Merced and that's a full and very competitive field. 2020 outlook, Dago Red, the full race Yak that has been discussed here, etc... Czech Mate needs a pilot too!

The other thing I've noticed is that less warbirds are being put in private hands. If you follow warbird sales you will notice that most of the recent planes have been sold to museums. Museums for some odd reason don't race planes (thank you POF for changing this). I think it's a great way to advertise and it's probably much easier to get sponsorship and funding as a museum rather than an individual... That's the big problem
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 09-08-2016, 01:58 PM.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
      The other thing I've noticed is that less warbirds are being put in private hands. If you follow warbird sales you will notice that most of the recent planes have been sold to museums. Museums for some odd reason don't race planes (thank you POF for changing this). I think it's a great way to advertise and it's probably much easier to get sponsorship and funding as a museum rather than an individual... That's the big problem
      Don't forget the Warhawk Air Museum and the Oklahoma Museum of Flying
      Random Air Blog

Comment

And Rod Lewis... He does happen to own a rather impressive museum/collection.

As long as there are people willing to bring an unlimited out and run it around the pylons, there will be a class. I could see the class becoming an all stock warbirds class for a while. Then someone will pull one of the racers out and say "How cool would it be to show up with this and blow everyone away?" This leads to a resurrection of the existing racers and we once again have a good gold heat field. There will always be a few racers that don't get turned into a stocker or TF (the horror). PM is a prime example, it never was a stock P51 since it was pieced together. IT would cost more to turn it into a stocker than it would to convert it into a "sport" plane minus the hot race engine and all the race specific systems that go along with said engine. The Yaks offer an interesting platform to build racers out of since they are somewhat plentiful and cheap. Are they as fast as a Mustang in full race trim? No, but we have yet to see a V12 powered Yak be modified to a racer. Yes, they have their issues with wings, but again, those can be overcome (Just takes $$$$ and desire to build a crazy fast Yak.) Yes the parts for Merlins and Allisons are becoming harder to find. Still there are people who can produce parts. What about Griffons? I'd have to guess there are a good number of those out there since the Royal Navy flew Shackletons into the 90s with them. Heck a Yak 3 running the stock V12 had an engine that was nearly the same displacement as a Griffon and only a little lighter. Who to build said race engines? Well, I believe the engine in Voodoo was built not by Nixon, but by one of his understudies. (Flores I think?) We will see how his engine does this year. My bet is that it will be just fine.

The baton does need to be passed. Some of the Unlimited guys are getting up there in age, and the cost to fill their shoes is very large. We have people like Steve Hinton Jr who is amazing on so many levels. We need more people of his age and type. Still, I think the younger crowd who don't understand the concept of air racing (they think Red Bull aerobatics is racing) is all there is. They are so technology driven that old airplanes don't interest them much. (Little do they know what they are missing) From my standpoint, there is an amazing chance to take unlimited air racing to another level now that we have the technology to build some stuff that flat out wasn't around when the last top unlimited racer was built. (What was the last unlimited to be transformed from something stockish to full blown racer? 232? I'm going to exclude Steadfast since it is not that far from a stock Yak 3U.) This is a turning point for the unlimiteds, and it will take a new generation of people and ideas to make it work. It will also take an inflow of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ to make people want to spend the money. (Heck If I won a stupid amount of money tomorrow, I'd be out looking to buy Diamondback and return it to being Stiletto ASAP. I'd also buy a Yak and learn how to race while the rebuild was taking place.) The sport needs sponsors like Stihl to come out and put some $ out. Without the $ to make the purse worth while, only those people with seriously disposable income, or those really good at getting individual sponsors for said planes (Precious Metal comes to mind here) can afford to play. The vibe needs to change as well. There is a ton of negative feelings about the races these days (might be the last, no unlimiteds, no $) RARA needs to market differently (or at least on a larger scale. The partnership with Costco was a possible step in the right direction.) There is no shortage of people with big $$$$ to put into the races, its just a matter of reaching those people and getting them to invest (be it show up at the gate, bring a plane out to race and spread the word, or be a cash sponsor). I also think there might be a bit of a stigma where people think air racing and airplanes are only for rich people. The truth is, a lot of the Sport, biplane and F1 guys are normal people with normal jobs. They just decided to follow a dream.

Having museums race their stuff is a tricky thing. They don't want their prize possessions plastered with sponsors. That said, if they would quit restoring racers with important history back to military stockers that have no history, that would go a long way. It would simply add to the rich history the plane has after it was sold as surplus. (Sounds like a win win situation to me.) Again it takes us back to the need for $ to make things happen. Yes it could be fantastic promotion for a museum. Until it is realized by more than the minority that race history is more important than non combat military history, I can't see many stock restored planes being raced because the entry costs are so high. Museums in this country are already hurting for funds so blowing $500K for a week of racing doesn't make any sense. They certainly aren't going to generate that much revenue by racing their plane. (That is an issue with society more than anything. Kids are being taught that history is unimportant and therefore museums are unimportant. That however is a discussion for another time)

Hopefully that didn't turn into too much of a rant. haha

Will

Comment

Call me a pessimist if you need to, but I dont think we will ever see another new purpose built unlimited racer. The currently racing planes will retire to museums or the dreaded return to stock fate.

The future of this sport, if it is going to have one, is the sport class.

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post

- Joseph
            Mr. Woelbing is racing in the T6 Class this year. Perhaps someone can talk with him about his plans for Ms. Merced and Furias.
            Sky Critter

Comment

I know for a fact other race teams have been trying to talk him into racing Miss Merced. Sounds like he wants to get used to racing the T-6 and then he'll bring MM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                Call me a pessimist if you need to, but I dont think we will ever see another new purpose built unlimited racer. The currently racing planes will retire to museums or the dreaded return to stock fate.
                If there was only one purpose built air racer I could see finished it would be Shockwave. That airframe is just flat out awesome.
                Random Air Blog

Comment

Tsunami is being rebuilt...

Comment

Originally posted by cragdweller View Post
                    Tsunami is being rebuilt...
                    I salute their efforts and would love to see it but at this rate the crazy horse monument will be completed first.

Comment

Working...
                    X