OFFICIAL AAFO PHOTO CONTEST - Reno 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OFFICIAL AAFO PHOTO CONTEST - Reno 2016

Thank you all! I am well Neal. I come around here often, I just don't have much to say. I do miss you and Birgitta at Reno, but I'm glad you two are enjoying other things.

Yes Joseph, the camera is 6mp, but then it interpolates up to 12mp; that was hi-performance tech back in 2002/2003. It is no iPhone, but it does alright.
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Ya don't need no D5 to take great pictures. Ya need experience, a brain, and the ability to use both.

Having a D5 does help, though...

Neal

Comment

Ok, here goes. My quota is small, so I'll start with the best one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reno-2016-entry7-morning-pits-sml.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	228349

Unedited
        Canon T2i, Canon 18-55mm, ISO 100 f9 at 1/125
        (and just a little fill flash.)
        Last edited by L.E.D.; 09-25-2016, 10:45 AM. Reason: Added camera details and category

Comment

Here's a graphic difference between shooting the Gold Unlimiteds at Pylon 2 versus Pylon 8. Afternoon sun shining ON your subject, versus afternoon sun backlighting your subject.

I love the fact that the grey on top of Sawbones wings is a different color than the grey on top of the fuselage. It really makes for good contrast.

And Neal, yes I'm sure that a little tweaking here and there with Photoshop would make the P8 photos better, I just am putting them on here for comparison.
          Attached Files

Comment

But look at that landscape reflected in the skin of CM -- that's gorgeous...

Is the Sawbones shot cropped much? It's really sharp and beautifully lit.
            Last edited by wingman; 09-22-2016, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
              But look at that landscape reflected in the skin of CM -- that's gorgeous...

Is the Sawbones shot cropped much? It's really sharp and beautifully lit.
              This is the full, uncropped shot of Sawbones. I cropped it just enough to center it.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                This is the full, uncropped shot of Sawbones. I cropped it just enough to center it.
                And this is the shot I took just after it.
                Attached Files

Comment

Those Sawbones shots are VERY nicely done. Sure as S%it I would have cut the nose off or something. You nailed the framing and the camera absolutely nailed the focus. Just (barely) enough prop blur to work.

What camera are you using, and what lens is this? What shutter speed?

Just for giggles, I fooled around a bit with your CM shot. Maybe a bit overdone, but I am fascinated by that landscape...
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by wingman; 09-22-2016, 09:53 PM.

Comment

What camera are you using, and what lens is this? What shutter speed?
                    Nikon D3300 with a Nikkor 55-300 zoom. I was varying laps between 1/320 and 1/400....so one of those two.

Comment

Those Sawbones shots are VERY nicely done. Sure as S%it I would have cut the nose off or something. You nailed the framing and the camera absolutely nailed the focus. Just (barely) enough prop blur to work.
                      Thank you. But as you told me several years ago....amongst the 10,000 shots you DIDN'T see were a few with the nose cut off.

Comment

Seems to be working for you.

If you never show your garbage, eventually people will think you're really good at this. It worked for me...

I perked up the Sawbones shot just a bit. If you don't like me messing with your entries let me know.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by wingman; 09-22-2016, 10:11 PM.

Comment

By the way, the camera records a rather elaborate set of what's called "exif" information, which includes things like focal length setting on the zoom, ISO, f stop and shutter speed and much more. This information is linked to the image. Depending on what you are viewing your photos with it should be viewable in your viewer or photo software, and can be interesting for future reference -- if you ever decided to compare 1,400 with 1/320 for instance.

Comment

Maybe this is Neal's way of getting an entry in this year's contest?

haha!

Good work Brad.

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                              Maybe this is Neal's way of getting an entry in this year's contest?

haha!

Good work Brad.

- Joseph
                              Ha!

That CM shot would look great as a b&w.
                              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

I've been working on some b&w iPhone pics. One from the International series. This is a hard one. So many areas that I can make look pretty nice but it blows out another area. This is my best compromise so far. WWII Tuesday Qualifying.
                                Attached Files
                                You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Working...
                                X