OFFICIAL AAFO PHOTO CONTEST - Reno 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OFFICIAL AAFO PHOTO CONTEST - Reno 2016

Now we're starting to get some photos, great!

I really like those Tech inspection shots Hans.

Looks like you got some keepers there Brad. - Remember to specify which category you'd like to enter with each of them ..

- Joseph

Comment

Thom Richard has had a pretty rough last couple of years with his air racing efforts. This year Hot Stuff just didn't seem to have it. It looks like its going 200 mph just standing still, but I think it lingered back in 4th or 5th place all week before it's incident with Endeavor on Sunday morning. But the plane still looks very graceful rounding the pylons.
      Attached Files

Comment

Stupid, useless, ugly, unneeded, cruelly expensive waste of my taxpayer money airplane, but a great photograph.
        Not just ugly but FUGLY.
        Unedited out of the camera.

And I just like the Blue Angel shot.
        Attached Files
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I like that Angel shot.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
            Shot with Nikon D7000 w/18-200 Lense

Unedited

"Tech Inspection"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22362[/ATTACH]
            Wonderful photo of a very necessary part of racing that the fans will never see. Tom DeHart. the cat with the clipboard, has been making the hard decisions about safety and legality for many years. Contestants may not like what he tells them, but they listen!

No glory in this job, but these guys keep people alive.

Great shot.

Neal

Comment

Hey Speedy -- your photography is a lot better when you use a real camera. Thanks for the T-6 Gold shots, and the comments. They make my sense of that race much more clear. Nick Macy is a pro -- I've enjoyed watching him for many years.

And I actually like that shot of the Blues in the smoke.

In the Voodoo photo -- the reflexed flaps?

Neal
              Last edited by wingman; 09-21-2016, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Re: Threaded View?

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                When this place gets busy, the sub conversations that break out within a thread sort of break it up and it becomes hard to find a message you want to respond to.. at least that's what my email program does with the link to a new message, it only takes me to the thread start.

I'm pretty sure there is a "threaded response... or something like that where, within a given thread, if someone responds to a particular post, that message becomes "threaded" to the original post as a sub thread.. I know most of you have seen it,

it's like

THREAD

NEW MESSAGE
                >response with quote to message
                >subsequent response

NEW MESSAGE

ETC...

Would that be a better way to lay the place out? It's probably available as a "rearrange" of the software's response to the database.. (one of the good things about DB's)

Anyway...

Think about it... If I find that we can try it and go back without borking anything.. I'll do it if you guys want...

I will also try to find a forum that does it this way. There was a Nikon users forum a few years back that I frequented that did it this way.. it was kind of annoying if you were just perusing the forum for new messages but really great for following up on a particular sub thread of a new message that seem to always develop

I'm really burnt out after my marathon drive today to get home so forgive me if my attempts at being techie flounder..
                A Nikonian forum I frequent gives a choice Of "Threaded View" or "Unthreaded View" for each thread. Use the former to follow a specific discussion within the thread, and the latter to just check the new posts.

Works well.

On the other hand, 48 weeks of the year the present system works fine because traffic is not heavy. The issue arises around Reno time.

Neal
                Last edited by wingman; 09-21-2016, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I haven't been paying attention to what categories various photos go into. I normally don't photoshop any of my stuff. I don't take them in RAW form...just shoot Jpeg. Maybe some cropping to center something, but not much.

This is just an 'as-is' shot from Saturday night (and yeah, it's different than the one I posted on FB) of Jay doing an engine run-up on Czech Mate.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Love the #86 run-ups!

Comment

• Re: OFFICIAL AAFO PHOTO CONTEST - Reno 2016

Really pretty light. It's beautiful as is, but just a little subtle Photoshop work to bring in just a bit of shadow detail could be really nice. I mean this not as criticism of your presentation of this, and I'm not suggesting at all that you change it. I just mean it as an example where a bit of Postprocessing could really enhance the impact of a shot without altering your intent at all.

Neal

Comment

• Re: Threaded View?

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                        A Nikonian forum I frequent gives a choice Of "Threaded View" or "Unthreaded View" for each thread. Use the former to follow a specific discussion within the thread, and the latter to just check the new posts.

Works well.

On the other hand, 48 weeks of the year the present system works fine because traffic is not heavy. The issue arises around Reno time.

Neal
                        I think this board has that option somewhere, I'll have to look into it, I too remember the forum I used to visit that had either view. Was a handy tool for sure!
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

All right kids, I have dusted off Photoshop CS2 and downloaded the pictures from my 14-year-old digital camera. My, technology has progressed. These are not serious entries, but what he hell.

Category: Edited
                          Camera: Fujifilm FinePix S2
                          Lens: Sigma 50-500mm EX (the old one)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7100 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	228341

Name:	DSCF7232 copy.jpg
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	228342

Name:	DSCF7705 copy.jpg
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	228343

Name:	DSCF7797 copy.jpg
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	228344
                          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Fourteen year old tech, eh? Guess this proves that it's ultimately not the camera that makes an excellent picture -- it's the photographer. The most important microchip in the photographic process is three inches behind the eyepiece.

Very nice photos. That Phantom shot is perfectly lit, as is the Voodoo shot. Sharp as a tack, too

How are you Bill? Haven't seen you for a long time...

Neal

Comment

Bill, Nice shots. Thanks for posting.

Will

Comment

That Voodoo shot blows me away! At what, 6mp?

- Joseph

Comment

Working...
                                X