OFFICIAL AAFO PHOTO CONTEST - Reno 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OFFICIAL AAFO PHOTO CONTEST - Reno 2016

I'll let you youngsters squabble about rules, but I have to say, Will, that is a really cool photograph. Almost nothing wrong or jarring, which is hard to do in a cluttered environment.

Stupid, useless, ugly, unneeded, cruelly expensive waste of my taxpayer money airplane, but a great photograph.

Well done.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
      I'll let you youngsters squabble about rules, but I have to say, Will, that is a really cool photograph. Almost nothing wrong or jarring, which is hard to do in a cluttered environment.

Stupid, useless, ugly, unneeded, cruelly expensive waste of my taxpayer money airplane, but a great photograph.

Well done.

Neal
      Thanks. I agree, its a giant POS. One can only polish a turd so many ways, and in the end, its still a turd. It says something when the requirements are lowered to meet the capabilities of the plane rather than scrapping a bad design and building/going with a better one. Its the F111 revisited, and that wasn't really that great at anything. They have already proven that the f35 is a dog, yet they keep trying to push it along as being the greatest thing ever. I would have love to see if they could get one to do a show that went 3 days without it breaking. (F22 couldn't do that, and that is touted as being more reliable than the F35...) Aside from a head on view, its an ugly plane as well.

I didn't realize I had my night shots on this memory card. Still exploring what is on here.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
        The very reason for the unedited is to showcase the raw craftsmanship of composing the original shot. Anyone can tweak in photoshop until something looks good. But to get something really good, as you illustrated above, right off the camera, is always great!

- Joseph
        This is not the place for a philosophic debate, but I very strongly disagree, Joseph. There is nothing inherently superior about an out of the camera photo, and it is totally untrue that " Anyone can tweak in Photoshop until something looks good". Crap is crap, and after all the genius Photoshop work in the world it's still crap. Photoshop is not magic. A photograph is not the subject photographed -- it's a photograph.

The camera is interpreting what you point it at. Its interpretation can easily be refined and moved in the direction the photographer wants it to go in Photoshop. The photographer's further interpretation is at least as true as the camera's interpretation -- the photographer is a thinking being, while the camera is just a fancy expensive machine.

Most people do not have a clue about what Photoshop can and cannot do.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
          Straight off the camera. D600, 200-500 f5.6 @ 500mm, F8, 0.5 sec.

Will
          OMG... awesome shot, simply AWESOME!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Threaded View?

When this place gets busy, the sub conversations that break out within a thread sort of break it up and it becomes hard to find a message you want to respond to.. at least that's what my email program does with the link to a new message, it only takes me to the thread start.

I'm pretty sure there is a "threaded response... or something like that where, within a given thread, if someone responds to a particular post, that message becomes "threaded" to the original post as a sub thread.. I know most of you have seen it,

it's like

THREAD

NEW MESSAGE
            >response with quote to message
            >subsequent response

NEW MESSAGE

ETC...

Would that be a better way to lay the place out? It's probably available as a "rearrange" of the software's response to the database.. (one of the good things about DB's)

Anyway...

Think about it... If I find that we can try it and go back without borking anything.. I'll do it if you guys want...

I will also try to find a forum that does it this way. There was a Nikon users forum a few years back that I frequented that did it this way.. it was kind of annoying if you were just perusing the forum for new messages but really great for following up on a particular sub thread of a new message that seem to always develop

I'm really burnt out after my marathon drive today to get home so forgive me if my attempts at being techie flounder..
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

OMG, count me in there!

I've had and used PS since version 5.

I have not even scratched the surface!

I'm really more a mechanic in what I do, I like playing with tools, I want precision and my basic instinct is to get the best of any machine I have in my hand..

I love the shape of airplanes, they have captivated me since I can remember. I do look for the angle and composition of a photograph but I have always had a hell of a time processing my work.. I can do other's work just fine... and I'm probably a better editor than a writer.

I really favor the DB Mueller oversaturation that he achieves due to his color blindness.

Dave does all his work freehand with paint and brush..

Can't even imagine what he could do if we could ever get him started with photoshop!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

This is not the place for a philosophic debate, but I very strongly disagree, Joseph. There is nothing inherently superior about an out of the camera photo, and it is totally untrue that " Anyone can tweak in Photoshop until something looks good". Crap is crap, and after all the genius Photoshop work in the world it's still crap. Photoshop is not magic. A photograph is not the subject photographed -- it's a photograph.

The camera is interpreting what you point it at. Its interpretation can easily be refined and moved in the direction the photographer wants it to go in Photoshop. The photographer's further interpretation is at least as true as the camera's interpretation -- the photographer is a thinking being, while the camera is just a fancy expensive machine.

Neal
                Oh crap, here we go again where I read the posts out of order...

This is Joseph's contest, he's providing the prizes and, within reason, he can make the rules as he wishes. I see nothing wrong and rather agree, other than one can program a lot of processing into the camera itself, or not.... as with shooting raw, I mean REALLY raw... so now yea, I'm kind of confusing myself here with the logic.. next paragraph..

Joseph, I get where you're going with this but, "out of camera" is a bit ambiguous, particularly where modern DSLRS are concerned.

I shoot all my stuff with no in-camera adjustments, just as shot RAW and then look at what I did wrong and right and try to make it work..

Most camera phones are set to do a lot of this stuff by some computer someplace..

Admitting to not having read all the posts, ultimately, Joseph, you started the contest, you should be the ultimate decision. I see a lot of Neal's points in the end. I'd like to see everyone able to play and last time I looked, we still have quite a bit of disk space on the server in Dallas.
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Shot with Nikon D7000 w/18-200 Lense

Unedited

"Tech Inspection"

Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-21-2016, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Shot with Nikon D7000 w/18-200mm Lense

Unedited

"Whats in a Name"

Comment

Shot with Nikon D7000 w/18-200mm Lense

Edited

"Back In The Day Tech Inspection"

Comment

Shot with Nikon D7000 w/18-200 Lense

Best Personality

The long lonely walk before Sunday's gold race.

"I can do this, stay focused and don't blow the lead"

Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-21-2016, 06:42 AM.

Comment

After going through several thousand shots, I once again confirm that I suck as a photographer, but I think I found a few photos that are halfway interesting.

The week was a series of ups and downs, with what seemed like more downs than ups. But one bright spot was the T-6 Gold...the redeeming race of the week. These two are from the last lap at pylon 8. I was not aware that Chris Rushing passed Nick Macy at the finish line until I was on the road home Sunday night. But it was a beautiful thing to watch. Macy flew the same line each lap. Rushing tried high, tried low, on each lap climb a bit and dive to try to get around Macy. Buehn kept telling Rushing that he was 'on the outside' as if he was going to pass, but he could never quite get passed him either.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Stevo coming up on the power for the start of Saturday's Gold heat, from pylon 2.

An interesting note in this photo...a very obvious Kerch "go fast" mod. Anyone see it?
                            Attached Files

Comment

I was trying some Victor Archer-style cockpit shots to get the expression of the pilot this year. Those kind of pictures come at the expense of 'the rest of the airplane'. But I thought this one turned out pretty cool.

Anthony Oshinuga at Inner 5.
                              Attached Files

Comment

In order to clear the show box, those of us out at the West pylons had to relocate to the center of the race course for the Blue Angels show. It was a very interesting perspective.

The last photo, however, shows that the best laid 'vision' for your photo doesn't always turn out as you're tracking it. Sometimes they fly into the smoke left by the solo pilots' last cross. :-(
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X