OFFICIAL AAFO PHOTO CONTEST - Reno 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OFFICIAL AAFO PHOTO CONTEST - Reno 2016

In past years, some of us have hung up our real cameras and only used our phones and actually taken pride in our phone photos. Perhaps there could be a phone category? I know the guys with "super cameras" might turn their noses up at that notion but isn't the point of this exercise more content? To exclude us phone pros would seem a bit tragic. Isn't content and composition the most important part of photography? One doesn't need thousands of dollars in equipment to fill hose two requirements.
    Last edited by Fence Sence; 09-07-2016, 09:37 AM.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post

I wonder how many entries will be shot with those silly telephones...
      Ahem.......

Its not the size, mate....its how you use it.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini View Post
        Faceplant is a wasteland I never frequent.
        That's too bad because you're missing a whole lot of amazing Reno shots from some very talented photographers merely for your perception of what Facebook is.

And I think Joseph wants to limit pictures strictly to 'here', then you're going to miss out on a lot of great photos that people are going to choose to not post here because of that.

Just my .02, but if the people here don't bother to look at FB anyhow, what does it matter whether photos are posted in multiple places anyhow?

Comment

Hey Brad -- You've been missed around here.

There are very good reasons why a lot of us don't look in on Faceplant. Just listen to some of the things Zuckerberg has said, and get a sense of how he views the world and the future. I do not trust people like that at all.

And, pictures posted there are clearly available for anybody to do anything with as they wish. I don't operate like that.

I think Joseph's guidelines make all the sense in the world. This clearly labelled as an AAFO contest. So be it.

Still miss you though, even if you do take pictures with telephones...

Neal

Comment

I'm really looking forward to shooting at Reno this year. I'm going to try to shoot from the pylons and from the hillside. I like the idea of a photo contest. Will my pics eventually end up on FB? Yeah some of them. Will they all end up on my flickr site? Yes (How else will I be able to post high res images?)

The FB pages do have some amazing pics posted. I really enjoy seeing pics from the past being posted there. Some of the comments create some amazing conversation. They also allow people who aren't here or haven't gone to Reno before to see what they are missing. It is more open to a wide range of people who aren't necessarily hardcore air racing fans, or even fans of aviation in general. In a way its advertizing for the races (We all know how little of that is done.) If we want Reno to continue, we need to find ways to get people through the gates. Not posting to FB doesn't help that (I'm also not saying that posting there does help, no proof, but it can't hurt.)

Will

Comment

Count me as the 14th person to say there needs to be a "Phone" or "Snapshot" Category. You are excluding a lot of people here.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                Count me as the 14th person to say there needs to be a "Phone" or "Snapshot" Category. You are excluding a lot of people here.
                It's quite amazing the kind of photos that you can take with an iPhone....and not need to use Photoshop on it.
                Attached Files

Comment

Such enthusiasm, I love it!

To quote myself from the initial post: "No need to be a professional, get creative with your shot... I may favor creativity over perfectionism? Try me!"

Phone photos are welcomed in any / all categories. However for the populous sake, I will open a phone/device only category!

In regards to facebook, and personal sites. Only the photos entered here in the competition cannot be posted elsewhere. Feel free to submit an entry here.. and then post the rest of your work someplace else.

Lots of neat stuff up for grabs guys. So I can't wait to see those shots!

- Joseph

Comment

Hey Big Jim -- the shadows are too dark, the highlights are burned out and the horizon is crooked...

Typical telephone picture.

So there!

Neal
                    Last edited by wingman; 09-07-2016, 03:25 PM.

Comment

^^^Now that is funny!
                      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Hey Big Jim -- the shadows are too dark, the highlights are burned out and the horizon is crooked...

Typical telephone picture.

So there!

Neal
                        Yeah, but you know as well as I do that Pylon 8 is always back-lit...so even if you shot this with your Sherpa-lens, you'd still have to fix it with Photoshop.

Comment

Even if you HAVE to shoot telephone pictures a small bit of attention can make them look like real pictures, Brad. This took me 3 and a half minutes -- I timed it. Nothin' wrong with Photoshop...

Neal
                          Attached Files

Comment

Even if you HAVE to shoot telephone pictures a small bit of attention can make them look like real pictures, Brad. This took me 3 and a half minutes -- I timed it. Nothin' wrong with Photoshop...

Neal
                            Aw, man....that makes me look fat.

Comment

Well maybe that's because it's a telephone picture...

Comment

First official iPhone photo entry for 2106: 924 at sunrise.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X