OFFICIAL AAFO PHOTO CONTEST - Reno 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFFICIAL AAFO PHOTO CONTEST - Reno 2016

.... I have not consulted with Wayne ... But I'm pretty sure I have his blessing ..

AAFOer's Here's the official first annual photo contest for the 2016 event.

With Edit's by popular demand...

Rules:

1.) Photos must be taken by YOU during this years air races, between 9/9 - 9/19. Cut-off date for entry to be posted is Monday 9/26. Must be posted in THIS THREAD by 11:59pm Pacific Time.

2.) Photos must be attached to this thread, or html tagged to display within the thread. no linking to external sites.

3.) Photos submitted here must not also be posted elsewhere (No facebook images, or links to personal sites)

4.) AAFO members, no limit on entries!! Post as many as you like! However see rule (5).

5.) Specify which category the entry is intended for. And the Camera/lense combination used. Also feel free to add narrative to your photo entries.

There will be a first-third place prize for each of the following categories!

Unedited:
    The photo is unedited, with exception of crop and or re-size. No filters, or post processing.

Edited:
    Photoshop to the hearts content! Anything go's.

Best personality:
    Photo of a fan? Crew-member, Pilot? Best personality...

Best photo from a young-eagle:

Under 18? Submit your photo for the young-eagle awards!

Best action photo:
    From the pylons? On the fence? Actions shots here.

Phone/Device Photographer:
    Shooting with IPhone, Samsung Galaxy, or Tablet device? Enter your work in this category!

I'll be judging this contest, while leaning on others opinions as well. If you see a photo that you really like, feel free to post comments! No need to be a professional, get creative with your shot... I may favor creativity over perfectionism? Try me!

Up for grabs are historic air racing books and memorabilia from the Lowell Thompson collection! Including the following book by Birch Matthews. "Cobra!" which highlights many post-war P-39, and P-63's, including the many racing Cobras of the Cleveland era, as well as the 70's.

Let's see those photos start rolling in upon the Reno arrivals!!

GO!!
    Last edited by Idaho_cowpony; 09-07-2016, 02:00 PM.

Re: OFFICIAL AAFO PHOTO CONTEST - Reno 2016

Great idea -- I'll be looking forward to and watching this thread. I hope people honor not posting photos both on Facebook and here. If photographs are good enough for a contest like this they really should not be put out on Faceplant, where ANYBODY can so easily steal them and claim them as their own. That can be done from AAFO too, but not nearly as easily. Facewipe is poison.

I wonder how many entries will be shot with those silly telephones...

And by the way that is a great book. It's a worthy prize for a contest like this.

Neal

Comment

Thanks.. And I cannot agree more.

Lots of neat prizes, of which I'll detail here as things progress. My storage is literally PACKED with air racing stuff. And I really need to thin some of it down..

- Joseph

Comment

I don't get home till late Monday night so I won't be entering any photos off my real camera

Comment

Hmmm, and I was seriously thinking of only bringing my phone this year...

The categories make sense as far as they go, but to my mind the press pass crowd has something of an advantage.

Should be fun though. Like Wingman, Faceplant is a wasteland I never frequent.
          No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
          http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Great idea young man.

Comment

Connor has a very good point. I think that deadline is awfully restrictive for anybody who has to travel to attend Reno, and who cares enough about their photos to want to do some post processing before sending them out into the harsh light of the internet. I would certainly not have been able to enter if I were shooting this year.

Of course if you felt the need to be TOTALLY inclusive you'd have to extend the deadline out six months or more to include Jarrod and Tim Adams. I don't think that would work very well either, LOL.

Ignomini has a good point too. I think it would make sense to consider including a separate category for pylon shots. They are inherently more dramatic and compelling. It does seem a bit unfair to pit a great pylon shot against an equally wonderful static. Think about a gorgeous shot of The Rebel at dawn beautifully lit and covered in dew. No matter how beautiful the static it would struggle mightily to compare to a shot of Dreadnought crowding the Yak at pylon 8.

Neal

Comment

Good ideas Neal.

I've edited the post to reflect some of that. And extended the deadline a week.

One of the purposes of this contest, is to increase, and promote photo sharing HERE during race-week. Hopefully get a good showing for Wayne, and AAFO.

the prizes won't disappoint!

+1 to those who will take time to show some action, especially for those who cannot attend this year.

- Joseph

Comment

Since I'm not gonna be there, but remain a fan of the Sport, I surely will appreciate seeing some good material during the event...

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                    .... I have not consulted with Wayne ... But I'm pretty sure I have his blessing ...
                    Oh Dang PonyJoe... Not only have my blessing, it's great to see that YOU have my BACK!

Crap, I remember you when you were "knee high"! I think I'm supposed to love the fact that I'm now one of the old timers!

WHO IS THAT OLD FART IN THE MIRROR EVERY MORNING???

Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                      One of the purposes of this contest, is to increase, and promote photo sharing HERE during race-week. Hopefully get a good showing for Wayne, and AAFO.
                      - Joseph
                      I don't think I promote enough the features that the message board has.. for those who don't have an outside hosting account, the board scripts do offer a gallery feature for users... that we don't use it is completely my fault, I think I only made one message about it when the software began to offer it..

Anyway, just saying, GREAT IDEA COWPONY! Anything I can do with the server to help the sharing, I'm there!

I'm going to take one of the spam bomb safety layers out of memberships and bump everyone's storage quota up... Tomorrow, trying to get to bed early.

Been thinking all year that I'd not be going this year... can't believe that I'm actually going to be there in one week and one day!!

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                        Since I'm not gonna be there, but remain a fan of the Sport, I surely will appreciate seeing some good material during the event...

Neal
                        Neal, it wasn't easy for me to decide to attend NCAR this year, but now that I've committed
                        to do it and plans and energy are moving forward, I'm going to say..

I'm going to miss yours and "Gita's" arses there this year!

Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks Wayne. I'll miss being there, to some degree. I doubt I could even get a Press Pass these days, though. I don't know any of those folks running things these days, and they don't know me. I could not see myself buying a ticket and sitting in the stands -- I haven't done that since 1976.

But the missing is not an acute pain. I will always love the Sport, but I've done what I wanted to do and more. My life these days is very full.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                            Thanks Wayne. I'll miss being there, to some degree. I doubt I could even get a Press Pass these days, though. I don't know any of those folks running things these days, and they don't know me. I could not see myself buying a ticket and sitting in the stands -- I haven't done that since 1976.

But the missing is not an acute pain. I will always love the Sport, but I've done what I wanted to do and more. My life these days is very full.

Neal
                            Neal,

There is always Section 3, you can experience the wild side :-)

You and Wayne could enjoy a 6 pack of Ensure

Comment

LOL...

Comment

Working...
                              X