Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need Camping Advice For RENO Air Races 2016

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    That would work just fine! Do I need to get reservations, how much for Tues-Wed through Sunday??
    I negotiate my rate with them every year, as I have a large group and we were the first persons to ever camp there. I roll with 10-20 people most years so paying by the normal rates would be silly.

They bought the lot from the optimists club and have been trying to get the lot going for about 4 years now. It never fills up, and only about 3 to 4 groups camp there. mostly day parking and some RV spots.

in years past they have let us in through the pit gate right there (with a pit pass of course) but last year the dude on that gate was kind of a dick and made us go around.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
      this is where we camp now. Good people run this lot.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/39...3!4d-119.88107
      Some interesting things on the ramp in your map!
      Sky Critter

Comment

Looks like 2015 when Collings was there. A lot of those jets are gone now.
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

That is a good lot. I walk through it every year. I might have to stop and meet some of its inhabitants this year.
          Last edited by Fence Sence; 09-03-2016, 07:39 PM.
          You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Arraguhah... I have a one day a week job that I absolutely HAVE to do, it's on Tuesdays, I can't get down any earlier than Wednesday AM, and then, only if I can convince my sixty five year old body that I can still drink several energy drinks and drive all night..

I REALLY do like to drive at night!

Anyway, since I am only there for five nights, I got talked into NOT sleeping in my truck and I've reserved a Motel6 room out a ways on South Virginia...

Still gonna drive my aging BMW down and sleep in the recliners for the first night (I did this either last RENO or PRS also)

I'm trying to write a "travelogue" based on something like Bill Rogers experience years ago, as he recounted to me in this article... I think it's this article http://aafo.com/racing/people/brogers.htm

He managed to get himself suspended from his job, in order to be able to go to NCAR! It's a great story of hitching out to the event, hooking up with mechanics and a changing of a life forever!

If it's not in that article, I'll find it somewhere, it just speaks to the determination that makes this branch of International Motorsports so wonderful!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

after 35 years my favorite part of this whole experience is waking up to the sound of unlimited going up at dawn.

Im glad you recognize that and will experience it again this year. If you would rather sleep in a cot I can provide. Its easier to hear them without the BMW glass.....

Comment

Hmmm. By the time Dawn Patrol goes up, we've been on the ramp for an hour...
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                  Arraguhah... I have a one day a week job that I absolutely HAVE to do, it's on Tuesdays, I can't get down any earlier than Wednesday AM, and then, only if I can convince my sixty five year old body that I can still drink several energy drinks and drive all night..

I REALLY do like to drive at night!

Anyway, since I am only there for five nights, I got talked into NOT sleeping in my truck and I've reserved a Motel6 room out a ways on South Virginia...

Still gonna drive my aging BMW down and sleep in the recliners for the first night (I did this either last RENO or PRS also)

I'm trying to write a "travelogue" based on something like Bill Rogers experience years ago, as he recounted to me in this article... I think it's this article http://aafo.com/racing/people/brogers.htm

He managed to get himself suspended from his job, in order to be able to go to NCAR! It's a great story of hitching out to the event, hooking up with mechanics and a changing of a life forever!

If it's not in that article, I'll find it somewhere, it just speaks to the determination that makes this branch of International Motorsports so wonderful!
                  I make the drive from Reno to Vancouver, BC often. Nice drive, the only concern are encounters with deer from Mc Cloud to the Nevada border at sunset, night and sunrise. There are also some elk between Mc Cloud & Burney Falls as well.

I prefer that stretch during day light hours for that reason alone.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-07-2016, 11:45 AM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                    Hmmm. By the time Dawn Patrol goes up, we've been on the ramp for an hour...
                    I cant do that much sun for 4-5 days. I save that for Sunday

Comment

Nutragena sunscreen. I do that from arrival Saturday until the final Sunday. I get dark but haven't been really burned in years. Last few years we are only in our chairs on Sunday and maybe Saturday.
                      Of course, after that weeks "vacation" I'm exhausted!
                      This years weather promises to be perfect for the fans, high 70's to low 80's.
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Bucky Dawson is from Ketchikan Alaska where it rains 250 days a year and is foggy the rest of the time. Anybody remember how he used to look after the first three days of Reno??

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                          Bucky Dawson is from Ketchikan Alaska where it rains 250 days a year and is foggy the rest of the time. Anybody remember how he used to look after the first three days of Reno??
                          I didn't know him then, the only time I ever saw Bucky as a complete person is when I managed to see him when on a cruise that stopped in at his home port several years ago!

As I look over my Lake Tahoe and year's beyond sun abused skin spots... I completely appreciate Bucky's current efforts to keep that darn sun off himself!

Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                          X