Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preliminary schedule is up!!

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
    Willie, you make some very good points, and at least you are still going this year.

We all know the races have changed every year, especially since the accident. But someone would be blind to think that Unlimited air racing would continue to thrive.

I have a personal interest/family connection to Voodoo and even they have said there is ZERO market for a full race P-51; a fully restored P-51 is far more valuable on the market than a race one.

That is the nature of the beast, regardless of what we all think. Me, for one, would love to see a full field of stock P-51s racing but the fact is it probably won't happen.

We can all agree that past race management has made some decisions that have sealed the fate of the unlimited field. But people, there are at least 5 other classes of racing that happen every year, and they are ALL much more affordable than fielding a P-51 for the week. And better yet, most of the time, they have much more competitive racing than the unlimited field.

Have there been some crappy decisions made? YES. Have unlimited owners/pilots been pissed off by race management? YES. I'm sorry for my candidness, but $hit happens and THE only constant in this world is change. Air racing has changed; for the better or for the worse is personal opinion.

All I know is, in two weeks, the air space around Stead, NV will be filled with the wonderful sounds of airplanes big and small, and some jets too. RARA has provided us with another opportunity to view this type of flying for yet another year. They ARE trying, regardless of our opinions on the matter.

The average Joe six-pack could give two $hits about unlimited or any other class of air racing, but they know Blue Angels and/or Thunderbirds and they will come to see them. If we can introduce them to other forms of airshow performances (air racing) then we may as well make them a fan for life.

Just like my other thread stated, I'm excited for this year, and I can't wait to get there to see the greatest show on earth unfold.

Flame away...
    Right on the money Matt! Well said. Yeah, the races have changed. Me; an aircraft nut so I'd be there regardless. But they have to do something to get "average Joe six-pack" in the seats. Blues will do that and hopefully the racing will take hold. Sport class line-up looks awesome this year......I think IT'S the wave of the future.

Comment

2 Vamps in the jet class!

Has the S-211 raced before?

Comment

While it's true mistakes were made, RARA was also seriously impacted by events outside of its control. Taken together, it's a wonder we're all here on AAFO discussing 2016. And much credit is due to those who were pulling the levers at RARA in previous years, and those who are pulling them now. Not an attempt to sugar-coat anything or be a Pollyanna.

We each may have opinions about how we got here and where we're going...and we're certainly entitled to those. I get it…and like many on this site, I have my questions/concerns as well. That said, I continue to ask this question: What's the logical outcome of the nay-saying, detracting and disparaging remarks directed towards RARA and the event as we now know it? Answer...this site goes dark because there’s no longer anything to complain about. Is that an acceptable outcome to anyone?

Change is the only constant. As RARA searches for the answers I firmly believe, we, as members of RARA (whether formally as paying members and/or volunteers, or as those who support by paying hard-earned cash to attend), can be part of the solution. To do otherwise does a disservice to the very thing you’re trying to save.

I, for one, continue to hold high hopes that we can enjoy this amazing event for years to come and believe RARA is on the right track to do so. It may not be what it once was…but once it’s gone, it will never be again.
        Volunteer, spread the word, attend every year regardless of which class of racing you value most or which team is or is not attending…the alternative is unacceptable.
        Owen Ashurst
        Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
        http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Well said, Air Judge For those of you disenchanted by the time that the Blue Angels take away from the races, I would point out that during their demonstration, the lines for food and drinks and t-shirts become very short. For everybody wishing for the good old days of unlimited racing, I'd ask, "How long has it been since the odds were this good for Dreadnaught to win the Gold?"

Comment

Indeed, well said sir!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
              For everybody wishing for the good old days of unlimited racing, I'd ask, "How long has it been since the odds were this good for Dreadnaught to win the Gold?"
              YES!!!!!

Seriously though, that same question should be asked about a certain little Yak. Is this the year????

Comment

This could be VERY interesting. Dreadnought shows up with clipped wings and a race canopy! LOL!

Comment

With this years field it doesn't need them...
                  I'm hoping for good races between CM and Dread. Would be fun to see.
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Has anyone heard if CM has actually flown yet? Any photos of CM recently, like from this month?

Comment

Longing for a day when I dont read CM as Critical Mass.

:-(

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                        Longing for a day when I dont read CM as Critical Mass.

:-(
                        You and me both...

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
                          Has anyone heard if CM has actually flown yet? Any photos of CM recently, like from this month?
                          It's been flying since mid July. Ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                            It's been flying since mid July. Ready to go.
                            "It's been flying since July"

No "It's", she is way too sexy. Definitely a babe with sexy lines.

Comment

This is my first year at Reno. FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arriving the 11th and leaving in the weeee hours Monday after the Races. Is there access to the Pits on Monday and Tuesday? Info?

Thanks!

Have a Super(Corsair) Day!

Kenn
                              May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Originally posted by kennsmithf2g View Post
                                This is my first year at Reno. FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arriving the 11th and leaving in the weeee hours Monday after the Races. Is there access to the Pits on Monday and Tuesday? Info?

Thanks!

Have a Super(Corsair) Day!

Kenn
                                Yes, they've been open in the past.

Comment

Working...
                                X