Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preliminary schedule is up!!

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    With all due respect Bob, the significance of having a national jet team like the Tbirds or the Blues to RENO's bottom line is huge. It can mean the difference of them operating at a loss or actually making enough money from the gate to continue on.

It means nothing to us air geeks, we love RENO for what it is and what we want and like out of it, but the locals are the folks who make the difference between profit and loss for the event. The fact that the Blues are at RENO this year is a SIGNIFICANT accomplishment for RARA
    Thank you Wayne!!! You put it much better than I would have; in fact I had to edit my post a few times before I just erased what I really wanted to say.

The negativity surrounding the races lately has me sick and pissed. You could have 50 unlimiteds and people would still bitch about the races. RARA knows the situation they are in and are trying new things to get people interested. Just because its NOT what some people think they should do, they think its all over and will never recover.

Just be thankful for what we have people. I would rather talk about what we have to look forward to rather than talk about what might have been or what RARA should do.

The negativity drives me bat-$hit crazy...We have two weeks until RENO starts and we should rejoice in the fact we have something to go to rather than bash what they have decided on.
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

I have come to face that the conditions for the races have changed, for the most part not for the good or long term health of the event.

Leewards accident was the tipping point. The organizer has in my opinion mismanaged the event for years to the point that the unlimited community just realized that they were never gonna have a seat at the table when the organizer essentially tells the class that its the organizers playground and you, the unlimiteds have to play or go home. So guess what? The unlimiteds went home and continue to stay home. As they stayed away they found other things to do in September.

I think the time has come to face reality, that if closed course air racing survives at Reno it will be due to one of the remaining classes exciting the fans/spectators and the organizer doing the things necessary to support the event without a unlimited class.

Yes the national military demonstration teams will bring spectators, and read not the die hard air race fans through the turn styles, but they do not come free as the organizer has to agree to cover the cost of a myriad of support items to get a demonstration team, and these causal visitors will not come several days unless they see something that causes them to pause and say to themselves I need to come back.

Let's not forget course/facility encroachment is the ten ton gorilla in the room as it has and will continue to be a the major factor in if air racing continues at the facility. I think its too late to mitigate the encroachment issue as the organizers action(s) years ago may have sealed the facilities fate.

Me, yep I'll be there, but only Saturday and Sunday, not the ten days I did for most of thirty years.

Warbird Willie

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
        Thank you Wayne!!! You put it much better than I would have; in fact I had to edit my post a few times before I just erased what I really wanted to say.

The negativity surrounding the races lately has me sick and pissed. You could have 50 unlimiteds and people would still bitch about the races. RARA knows the situation they are in and are trying new things to get people interested. Just because its NOT what some people think they should do, they think its all over and will never recover.

Just be thankful for what we have people. I would rather talk about what we have to look forward to rather than talk about what might have been or what RARA should do.

The negativity drives me bat-$hit crazy...We have two weeks until RENO starts and we should rejoice in the fact we have something to go to rather than bash what they have decided on.
        yep its just us people that like to bitch. it has nothing to do with the fact that some of us have been on the inside putting this event on for over 30 years and are seeing it going away. why it is going away, i will not go into it, but the events of 2001 and 2011 are just a small part of it.
        the new group running the show is trying but they were left with very little to work with. some of us could go on for a long time about what the general public does not know, but i will not go into details. its kind of like a family matter. believe me, some of us are really pissed at what reno now is.
        bob burns
        ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
        "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Willie, you make some very good points, and at least you are still going this year.

We all know the races have changed every year, especially since the accident. But someone would be blind to think that Unlimited air racing would continue to thrive.

I have a personal interest/family connection to Voodoo and even they have said there is ZERO market for a full race P-51; a fully restored P-51 is far more valuable on the market than a race one.

That is the nature of the beast, regardless of what we all think. Me, for one, would love to see a full field of stock P-51s racing but the fact is it probably won't happen.

We can all agree that past race management has made some decisions that have sealed the fate of the unlimited field. But people, there are at least 5 other classes of racing that happen every year, and they are ALL much more affordable than fielding a P-51 for the week. And better yet, most of the time, they have much more competitive racing than the unlimited field.

Have there been some crappy decisions made? YES. Have unlimited owners/pilots been pissed off by race management? YES. I'm sorry for my candidness, but $hit happens and THE only constant in this world is change. Air racing has changed; for the better or for the worse is personal opinion.

All I know is, in two weeks, the air space around Stead, NV will be filled with the wonderful sounds of airplanes big and small, and some jets too. RARA has provided us with another opportunity to view this type of flying for yet another year. They ARE trying, regardless of our opinions on the matter.

The average Joe six-pack could give two $hits about unlimited or any other class of air racing, but they know Blue Angels and/or Thunderbirds and they will come to see them. If we can introduce them to other forms of airshow performances (air racing) then we may as well make them a fan for life.

Just like my other thread stated, I'm excited for this year, and I can't wait to get there to see the greatest show on earth unfold.

Flame away...
          "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by tow-3 View Post
            yep its just us people that like to bitch. it has nothing to do with the fact that some of us have been on the inside putting this event on for over 30 years and are seeing it going away. why it is going away, i will not go into it, but the events of 2001 and 2011 are just a small part of it.
            the new group running the show is trying but they were left with very little to work with. some of us could go on for a long time about what the general public does not know, but i will not go into details. its kind of like a family matter. believe me, some of us are really pissed at what reno now is.
            I totally understand being passionate about something; I'm a relative newcomer to this sport, generally speaking, and I know there are a ton of people who have been behind the races for far longer than I've been alive.

Passion is what drives people, and please, please don't take my posts as attacking anyone's passion.

Am I happy with the direction of the races? ABSOLUTELY NOT! But on that same coin, I am extremely thankful for what we do have left. As much as I wish/want this event to last forever, that would be a completely unrealistic expectation.

As the years have gone by for me, the annual trip to Reno has become more about friends than the races. Some years the unlimited racing and airshow are great, some years not so much.

I am just thankful I have a venue to do all this at.
            "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

I just found this 2016 participant list: http://airrace.org/wp-content/upload...st_Website.pdf

11 Unlimiteds including the A-Mustang, not too bad

Comment

Originally posted by Florian View Post
                I just found this 2016 participant list: http://airrace.org/wp-content/upload...st_Website.pdf
                11 Unlimiteds including the A-Mustang, not too bad
                AND WEE WILLY!!!!! LETS GO HATERS!!!
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Approx. 140 race planes...............Looks good to me, can't wait.

Comment

Has "WEE WILLY" ever raced before?

Comment

Three Thunder's in the Sport. + the NXT is back... Lavelle is going to be ready to challenge Parker. Looks well worth it to me! PLUS the'll be 4 Sea Fury's and two Yaks.. Lots of Radial music.

See you there!

- Joseph

Comment

It would be cool if WW raced, considering it's paperwork "history". I don't recall that it has before in it's current form.
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I think WW has raced before with John Maloney and Kevin Eldridge as race 0. My fading recollection was it was bare metal then so possibly shortly after it was restored and before getting Spam Can's old G4 U paint job?

Comment

Ahhhh. Some research is in order as my internal database may be flawed, again!
                            Unless of course Big Jim chimes in...
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                              Ahhhh. Some research is in order as my internal database may be flawed, again!
                              Unless of course Big Jim chimes in...
                              It raced as Spam Can II in 1984 where it was bare metal. From 1985-1990 or so it had the same G4U paint scheme that Spam Can wore in the 1970's (by this time the original Spam Can was on it's rotating paint job schedule)...but it didn't technically have a name.

Once Steve named it Wee Willy II it didn't race anymore.

The original Spam Can came back into the racing fold for a couple years in the mid '90's with the Incredible Universe stuff at Phoenix.

Comment

I see race 39 in the Sport Class.
                                "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Working...
                                X