Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preliminary schedule is up!!

Originally posted by Dudewanarace View Post
    The Match Race was demonstrated to RARA and the FAA during PRS. Also, I believe 8 pilots were qualified to race the match race.

A lot of people compare it to Red Bull but their is a big difference: this is a head to head race. Winner advances, loser goes home. A flight lead orbits with a formation of race aircraft, and a pace aircraft picks up racers and drops them on the course 2 at a time. It is a quick way to go head to head, and produce a winner. It should be great for the fans because you get to see a lot of racing, pretty quickly, with an obvious winner and loser. It all happens show center also. With varying types of aircraft, you will see some pretty dramatic difference in how the course is flown, particularly during the reversal turn. If we want to keep true air racing alive, we need to be keep it fresh and have as much racing as possible.

~Tom

Sounds GREAT to me!

Comment

The Match Race was demonstrated to RARA and the FAA during PRS. Also, I believe 8 pilots were qualified to race the match race.

A lot of people compare it to Red Bull but their is a big difference: this is a head to head race. Winner advances, loser goes home. A flight lead orbits with a formation of race aircraft, and a pace aircraft picks up racers and drops them on the course 2 at a time. It is a quick way to go head to head, and produce a winner. It should be great for the fans because you get to see a lot of racing, pretty quickly, with an obvious winner and loser. It all happens show center also. With varying types of aircraft, you will see some pretty dramatic difference in how the course is flown, particularly during the reversal turn. If we want to keep true air racing alive, we need to be keep it fresh and have as much racing as possible.

~Tom
      Cool! I can't wait to see this!

Comment

What is happening in Sport and IF1 has me thinking about an air mattress in the back of my truck just to be there for all of this !

Just don't get too close to me by Sunday...
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

There's always the church showers Wayne!
          Maybe I should start renting mine out.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

The show looks good , I'm there for the vacation , people I hang with and the beer. Starting to get excited about this. There's not much Unlimited excitement to talk about but I'm still looking forward to it.

Comment

A lot of people compare it to Red Bull but there is a big difference: this is a head to head race. Winner advances, loser goes home. A flight lead orbits with a formation of race aircraft, and a pace aircraft picks up racers and drops them on the course 2 at a time. It is a quick way to go head to head, and produce a winner. It should be great for the fans because you get to see a lot of racing, pretty quickly, with an obvious winner and loser. It all happens show center also. With varying types of aircraft, you will see some pretty dramatic difference in how the course is flown, particularly during the reversal turn. If we want to keep true air racing alive, we need to be keep it fresh and have as much racing as possible.

~Tom
              An intriguing idea and one that I'll certainly watch. Thanks for the info, Tom.

Can you explain how the "reversal turn" is set up and flown?

Comment

Originally posted by PowerByPackard View Post
                Looks like its going to be one hell of a show. Can't wait to be there and I really can't wait to see the QF4 fly-by. Last chance to see that ever.

Stay positive folks and come support the races!!!
                i have to call it like i see it, "a hell of a show"? 1 aerobatic act, smoke and thunder. a business jet demo, and the blues. not much of and airshow in my book and that's sunday!

that is not going to put butts in the seats sorry to say it but that's the way it is.
                bob burns
                ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
                "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
                  An intriguing idea and one that I'll certainly watch. Thanks for the info, Tom.

Can you explain how the "reversal turn" is set up and flown?
                  I'm looking for the briefing now but can't seem to find it. It is VERY particular in relation to angle and bank, especially when pointed down. I'll post the details if I can find the brief. I think I had an early version of it that was later revised so I deleted it before PRS as to not get confused. I was only handling the Formation and standard PRS brief, the Match Race was left to Bob Mills and Rick Vandam.

FYI the Match Race will only be held on Thursday and Friday.
                  Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Originally posted by tow-3 View Post
                    i have to call it like i see it, "a hell of a show"? 1 aerobatic act, smoke and thunder. a business jet demo, and the blues. not much of and airshow in my book and that's sunday!

that is not going to put butts in the seats sorry to say it but that's the way it is.
                    Well let's look at it this way... The Blues are a longer demo then a USAF or USN demo team so that'll take up more time. 1 aerobatic act is perfect (2 on the other days) because I know for one I don't go to Reno to see a Pitts do snap rolls over and over, that's not what Reno is for. The Blues are the draw this year. I wish there was a fighter jet demo but I'll take the Blues and a whole lot of racing over a couple more waste of time aerobatic acts. I wish The Horseman would come but will that put butts in the seats? No... If anything is going to put fans in the seats it's the Blues and more advertisement/getting the word out. We have 1/2 of that recipe and the Costco sponsorship spans a large scale of the west coast that may not even know the races exist til they see the tickets in their local Costco. I think besides there being no unlimited bronze/medallion it is a near perfect set up for Reno. If you want to see an "airshow" go to Oshkosh. That's not what Reno is about.
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

You can go to any Military Base Airshow for free & see the "Blues" or "Thunderbirds" when they are on the schedule.
                      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Last edited by Matt58; 08-28-2016, 11:47 AM.
                        "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                          You can go to any Military Base Airshow for free & see the "Blues" or "Thunderbirds" when they are on the schedule.
                          With all due respect Bob, the significance of having a national jet team like the Tbirds or the Blues to RENO's bottom line is huge. It can mean the difference of them operating at a loss or actually making enough money from the gate to continue on.

It means nothing to us air geeks, we love RENO for what it is and what we want and like out of it, but the locals are the folks who make the difference between profit and loss for the event. The fact that the Blues are at RENO this year is a SIGNIFICANT accomplishment for RARA
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                            With all due respect Bob, the significance of having a national jet team like the Tbirds or the Blues to RENO's bottom line is huge. It can mean the difference of them operating at a loss or actually making enough money from the gate to continue on.

It means nothing to us air geeks, we love RENO for what it is and what we want and like out of it, but the locals are the folks who make the difference between profit and loss for the event. The fact that the Blues are at RENO this year is a SIGNIFICANT accomplishment for RARA
                            Agreed well said Wayne
                            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post

i never said that it was not important to the bottom line. my point is that it IS their airshow. they cannot sell seats and make a profit with only 1 airshow act, a car race, a business jet flyby and the blues. combine that with very little in the way of unlimited races, and you do not have a pretty financial picture. you are not going to get people to show up 4 straight days to see the blues. you need to get the die hard race fans in the seats every day with good racing, which won't happen with 9 unlimiteds, no matter how good the fields are in the other classes. you also need to get the non-die hards in the gate with a good airshow. you need to mix it up if you are running a multi-day event. look at oshkosh and S&F, they swapthe show up to get the people in on multiple days. bottom line is reno is in trouble they don't have the money to get the racers and talent they need to fill the seats to the get the money. I have no idea what the answer is but they had better find it soon.
                              bob burns
                              ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
                              "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Originally posted by tow-3 View Post
                                i never said that it was not important to the bottom line. my point is that it IS their airshow. they cannot sell seats and make a profit with only 1 airshow act, a car race, a business jet flyby and the blues. combine that with very little in the way of unlimited races, and you do not have a pretty financial picture. you are not going to get people to show up 4 straight days to see the blues. you need to get the die hard race fans in the seats every day with good racing, which won't happen with 9 unlimiteds, no matter how good the fields are in the other classes. you also need to get the non-die hards in the gate with a good airshow. you need to mix it up if you are running a multi-day event. look at oshkosh and S&F, they swapthe show up to get the people in on multiple days. bottom line is reno is in trouble they don't have the money to get the racers and talent they need to fill the seats to the get the money. I have no idea what the answer is but they had better find it soon.
                                I'm a die hard race fan, and I'm looking forward to seeing the Blue Angels. As far as only 9 unlimited's...........well, let's wait and see, I don't believe RARA has released an entry list yet. I remember several years, where we only had 9 or so unlimited's, of course that was in the early days of Reno. I know what you're saying, and I agree, 20 unlimited's would be a positive. I love Reno, bring on the Blues, the airshow, and all the classes of racing..........can't wait, another 12 days, and I'm out of here.

Comment

Working...
                                X