Info Needed: Society of Air Race Photographers Challenge Coins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info Needed: Society of Air Race Photographers Challenge Coins

Can anyone tell me a little background on these coins (Years they were made, etc).

Thanks

Jack

Re: Info Needed: Society of Air Race Photographers Challenge Coins

If you have one, it talks about it on the sheet it came with. I'm not near mine at the moment.

Jarrod

Comment

Jarrod.

Thanks for the reply.

The 3 I have did not come with any info sheet. Here is a description of each.

1. one side has Bell P-39 Tex Johnston.................other side Rare Bear 1946-2006

2. one side Anson Johnson..............other side Stiletto 1946-2008

3. one side Strega.............other side Beguine

What year did these come available?

Jack

Comment

Jack -- Where did you get these coins? They are uncommon.

Neal

Comment

Neal,

Got them on Ebay. I have never seen any of these ever offered before.

They are indeed beautiful coins.

Jack

Comment

They are indeed. They were explicitly intended not to be sold and never to become general collector's items. I'm really curious who did sell them on ebay. They were sponsored each year by those who were interested in doing so -- and obviously not inexpensive to make. I think that most of us who have them are quite proud of them and would not sell them like this, so you are lucky to have found some. The fact that you got the coins but not the documentation that went with each coin ever given out says something, as this documentation stated clearly that the makers did not want them on the open market. One can never guarantee that people will respect such a wish.

So what you have really is quite special. What did you pay for them, if you don't mind my asking?

Neal

Comment

Neal,

I remember seeing a few of my fellow photogs on the pylon bus having these coins. I was out on the sticks from 1993-2013.

I did inquire about them, but was never given any info on getting on the 'list'.

How many years were they produced and in what numbers?

They will never leave my little air race museum in PA.

Jack

Comment

I really don't remember much of the details of their origins. One year Birgitta and I were each handed one, and the custom continued for several years. We tossed in a couple of hundred bucks one year as sponsors. Ours are not all in one place -- in fact I don't know where Birgitta has stored them and she's a thousand miles away right now. I also don't have any idea what the criteria were in choosing who got them or why -- that was all above my pay grade.

So treasure them, Jack -- they are a unique and special addition to your collection.

Neal
                Last edited by wingman; 08-18-2016, 06:55 PM.

Comment

I'd love to see pics of these. Very cool find.

Will

Comment

Neal,

Any idea how many were produced each year?

What year did they start and are they still producing them?

Jack

Comment

I don't know the answers to any of those questions, Jack --Sorry. What I said above is really all I know. I was never deeply involved in the photographer social scene. I was on good terms with most everybody, and had a couple of folks I spent time with, but mostly was not deeply involved in the social side of things.

Neal

Comment

ok, maybe Jarrod or someone else may know more infor.

Jack

Comment

I was handed a Challenge Coin, on a few occasions as well. Each by well respected air race historians, and gentlemen. I believe I also have all three that you mention. I'm surprised that someone put them up on e-bay. Unfortunate. But sounds like they are in better hands!

Best regard!
                          - Joseph

Comment

That was my thought too, Joseph.

I think the well known author and historian Nick Veronico had some involvement in the program.

Neal

Comment

Hello!
                              I'm quite surprised that someone would dare sell a coin. The idea was if you had a coin and you didn't wish to keep it, that you GAVE or traded it to another photographer. We are very disappointed with someone in Ceres, California, who is done with air racing and didn't respect the tradition enough to give the coin(s) away. We only make 100, so they are very limited, indeed. We have seen coins pop up on eBay from China as well. Not sure if these coins exist, but the company that makes the coins for us has contacted eBay each time they have appeared and have had the auction taken down.

Any Reno Press photographers who have not sponsored the coin should contact me about sponsoring 2017's coin.

Here's the info you're looking for pasted below.
                              Nick Veronico

Society of Air Race Photographers
                              In the early months of 2004 founding members (listed alphabetically) John Garrett, Kevin Grantham, Ervan Hare, Nick Veronico, and Taichiro Yamash!ta decided to start an air racing tradition by sponsoring the first of the Air Race Challenge Coins. Since that time, others have kept the tradition alive by sponsoring a coin. Erv Hare and Taichiro Yamash!ta have contributed their design skills and art to the coin designs. The Society of Air Race Photographers has no dues, no officers, no benefits, and very few rules. Simply put–if you have a coin, you are a member! Only 100 coins are produced each year and each honors a racer from the past on one side while highlighting a present day racing aircraft on the opposite side.

Society Rules
                              1.) Coins are not to be sold under any circumstances. (If you sell your coin, SOCIETY members will track you down and beat you!!!)
                              2.) Coin Sponsors (past and present, below) are entitled to receive one example of every coin that is produced in the future.*

The Society of Air Race Photographers Coins have been generously sponsored by:
                              2004: John Garrett, Kevin Grantham, Ervan Hare, Nick Veronico, Taichiro Yama****a
                              2005: John Garrett, Aaron King, Gerry Liang, Chuck Stewart, Richard VanderMuelen
                              2006: Ed Anderson, Jim Dunn, Rocky Hill, David Leininger, Nick Veronico, Naomi West, Taichiro Yama****a
                              2007: Ed Anderson, Kevin Grantham, Arnold Greenwell, Aaron King, Jim Larsen, Chris Luvara
                              2008: Roger Cain, Scott Germain, John Jenkins, Tom Kraft, Nick Veronico, Cécile and Josef Willems
                              2009: Doug Fisher, Andy Martin, Harry Ransom, Frank Ronco, Anthony Taylor, Armand Veronico
                              2010: Jerry Beck, Robert Fisher, Ken Linde, Doug Moulin, JoAnne Murray, Rick Turner
                              2011: Tim Adams, Jim Froneberger, Marilyn Newton, Brigitta and Neal Nurmi, Mike Satren, Chuck Stewart
                              2012: Mark Hrutkay, Dan McGee, Lonnie Perkins, Moose Peterson, Joe Ruddy
                              2013: Victor Archer, Mike Jennings, Tim Kern, Jim Loveless, Jake Peterson, Jeremy Spilker
                              2014: Tom Calderwood, Robert Fisher, Scotty Germain, Mark Hrutkay, Tim Kern, Rick Turner
                              2015: Curtis Fowles, Mark Hrutkay, Dave Leininger, Lonnie Perkins, Joe Ruddy, Jerrod Ulrich, Nick Veronico
                              2016: Kelly Collin, Joe Kates, Rob "Phred" Miller, Antoine Roels, John Sepp, Bert van Leeuwen, David Atkinson

Coin Themes: 2004 – R-4360s (Cook Cleland’s F2G and Furias); 2005 – Formula 1 (Shoestring and Nemesis); 2006 – (Cobra I and Rare Bear); 2007 – P-38s (Tony LeVier’s Race 3 and White Lightnin’); 2008 – Scoop-less Mustangs (Anson Johnson’s Race 45 and Stiletto); 2009 – Strega and the 60th anniversary of the end of the National Air Races at Cleveland and the final flight of the highly modified P-51 Beguine. 2010: Commemorates University of Illinois and Chicago Bears football star Red Grange, known as The Galloping Ghost, and the aircraft both in its post-war racing days, and its rebirth by Jimmy Leeward for the 2010 racing season. 2011: P-51D Miss America and the 100th Anniversary of Naval Aviation. 2012: The Red Baron and Tsunami (wave scheme). 2013: Mira Slovak in the 1964-winning Bill Stead Smirnoff Bearcat and the 50th Anniversary of the National Championship Air Races. 2014: Ken Burnstine's 1974-winning Miss Suzy Q Mustang and Burnstine's modified P-51D Miss Foxy Lady. 2015: Lefty Gardner's 1976 Unlimited-winning P-51D Thunderbird and 2013 and 2014 Unlimited Champion Voodoo. 2016: Learstangs: Vendetta and Miss Ashley II.

The History of the Challenge Coin
                              During World War I, American volunteers from all parts of the country filled the newly formed flying squadrons. Some were wealthy scions attending colleges such as Yale and Harvard who quit in mid-term to join the war. In one squadron, a wealthy lieutenant ordered medallions struck in bronze carrying the squadron emblem for every member of his squadron. He himself carried his medallion in a small leather sack about his neck. Shortly after acquiring the medallions, the pilot's aircraft was severely damaged by ground fire. He was forced to land behind enemy lines and was immediately captured by a German patrol. In order to discourage his escape, the Germans took all of his personal identification except for the small leather pouch around his neck. In the meantime, he was taken to a French town near the front. Taking advantage of a bombardment that night, he donned civilian clothes and escaped. However, he was without personal identification. He succeeded in avoiding German patrols and reached the front lines. With great difficulty, he crossed no-mans-land. Eventually, he stumbled into a French outpost. Unfortunately, the French in the sector of the front had been plagued by saboteurs. They sometimes masqueraded as civilians and wore civilian clothes. Not recognizing the young pilot's American accent, the French thought him to be a German saboteur, and made ready to execute him. Just in time, he remembered his leather pouch containing the medallion. He showed the medallion to his would-be executioners. His French captors recognized the squadron insignia on the medallion and delayed long enough for him to confirm his identity. Instead of shooting him, they gave him a bottle of wine. Back at his squadron, it became a tradition to insure that all members carried their medallion or coin at all times. This was accomplished through a challenge in the following manner: a challenger would ask to see the coin. If the challenged member could not produce his coin, he was required to purchase a drink for the member who had challenged him. If the challenged member produced his coin, then the challenging member was required to pay for the drink. This tradition continued throughout the war and for many years after while surviving members of the squadron were still alive.

The tradition was lost to the Air Force for more than 50 years. In part, this was due to the high cost of coinage and the difficulty of creating special medallions. In the late 1970s, a weapons systems operator flying fighter aircraft in one of the reserve components uncovered this story while doing a paper at Air Command and Staff College. On completing his studies, he brought the tradition back to his squadron. Modern technology enabled high quality casting of the squadron insignia at a reasonable cost. The practice spread rapidly, first to fighter squadrons throughout both active duty and reserve components, and then to other military units throughout the Air Force. We are proud to continue this tradition. —Nathan Thern
                              Last edited by Racing_writer; 08-19-2016, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X