• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016 Unlimited Field

Thanks for correction.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
      Hey 1:1 -- can you say who these folks are and what they`re bringing to the Voodoo program...

Neal
      Hi Neal, being more of an "outsider" than most (it seems) on the forum, I'm not sure how kosher it would be to name names, so I won't. I will say that these two people worked on a very slick plane that set numerous records within the past couple of years, and to me, their involvement is very exciting I was also told that data was collected, but other projects are taking priority, so when/if anything comes of it is kind of up in the air (no pun intended).

Comment

Originally posted by f1-69 View Post
        F1 has a full field , some old racers getting rebooted and a few brand new ones gonna be an awesome year in f1
        I agree that it's going to be a great year of racing! My first Reno air race was in 1967 as a kid--I've missed very few since! The draw for me has always been the unlimited field. Not being someone "in the know," before the Internet there was such anticipation as to what would be there when we got there on Monday of qualifying that was new, what mods had been done to others etc. This year will be a down year for the unlimiteds--rather depressing. I have faith that they will find a new sponsor to take Breitling's place as the unlimited sponsor and things will slowly work their way back! In the meantime--

I'm a piston engine racer nut--maybe old age doesn't allow me to get super excited over jet noise--but I'm liking their speeds and their racing last year was certainly exciting! The sport class is really getting my attention--going faster than many unlimiteds in an airplane that half the size and weight--or less--that is way cool!!! When Darryl Greenamyer had race 33 there years ago and he would go up in the afternoon and do high circuits at high power settings--that had a sound that sent shills up and down my back--and now John Parker and others. Rare Bear sound?? Not even close but very exciting in it's own way. We're not all that far away from having 6-8 gold sport class racers capable of 400+ mph!! Who can't get excited about that? And talk about innovation!!

The T-6's--I've not been a huge fan until recently. It always seemed that whoever came down the chute in 1st, 2nd, 3rd place etc. ended up there at the end of the race. Seems to be a little more competitive lately!!

The F-1's--I'm really excited what they have going this year! It blows me away at the speeds they get out of a Cessna 150 engine--yes I know it's a totally different engine--but still 100 cubic inches. During qualification week I LOVE walking around in that hanger and watching those guys and gals at work! They are innovative--that's cool!

The biplanes?? For the last few years it seems that Aberle's plane is automatic and yet I love hearing that thing howl around the course adn see if his winning race speed will be faster than the F-1's. I remember the days when no one was racing those things flew anywhere close to 200 mph--then Sorceress, Sundancer, Amsoil Racer and others came along--now there's a number of them do over 200 mph and I'm betting someone will come along soon with something that gives Aberle a run for his money--Boomerang???

It looks to me that racing is healthy this year--except for the unlimiteds. I'm excited about going and seeing what is going to happen in all these divisions! To see race 86 back in the unlimiteds--that's exciting!!

In my old age I've had to adjust my thinking a bit as things change, but I'm thinking it's going to be a great year of racing and I can't wait to get there! Yes, my dream is to see an unlimited field of 30+ racers again--you never know...

Comment

Originally posted by dec View Post
          I agree that it's going to be a great year of racing! My first Reno air race was in 1967 as a kid--I've missed very few since! The draw for me has always been the unlimited field. Not being someone "in the know," before the Internet there was such anticipation as to what would be there when we got there on Monday of qualifying that was new, what mods had been done to others etc. This year will be a down year for the unlimiteds--rather depressing. I have faith that they will find a new sponsor to take Breitling's place as the unlimited sponsor and things will slowly work their way back! In the meantime--

I'm a piston engine racer nut--maybe old age doesn't allow me to get super excited over jet noise--but I'm liking their speeds and their racing last year was certainly exciting! The sport class is really getting my attention--going faster than many unlimiteds in an airplane that half the size and weight--or less--that is way cool!!! When Darryl Greenamyer had race 33 there years ago and he would go up in the afternoon and do high circuits at high power settings--that had a sound that sent shills up and down my back--and now John Parker and others. Rare Bear sound?? Not even close but very exciting in it's own way. We're not all that far away from having 6-8 gold sport class racers capable of 400+ mph!! Who can't get excited about that? And talk about innovation!!

The T-6's--I've not been a huge fan until recently. It always seemed that whoever came down the chute in 1st, 2nd, 3rd place etc. ended up there at the end of the race. Seems to be a little more competitive lately!!

The F-1's--I'm really excited what they have going this year! It blows me away at the speeds they get out of a Cessna 150 engine--yes I know it's a totally different engine--but still 100 cubic inches. During qualification week I LOVE walking around in that hanger and watching those guys and gals at work! They are innovative--that's cool!

The biplanes?? For the last few years it seems that Aberle's plane is automatic and yet I love hearing that thing howl around the course adn see if his winning race speed will be faster than the F-1's. I remember the days when no one was racing those things flew anywhere close to 200 mph--then Sorceress, Sundancer, Amsoil Racer and others came along--now there's a number of them do over 200 mph and I'm betting someone will come along soon with something that gives Aberle a run for his money--Boomerang???

It looks to me that racing is healthy this year--except for the unlimiteds. I'm excited about going and seeing what is going to happen in all these divisions! To see race 86 back in the unlimiteds--that's exciting!!

In my old age I've had to adjust my thinking a bit as things change, but I'm thinking it's going to be a great year of racing and I can't wait to get there! Yes, my dream is to see an unlimited field of 30+ racers again--you never know...
          Expect to see a first time winner in the Biplane class this year...

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
            Expect to see a first time winner in the Biplane class this year...
            Interesting...

But so I don't have to quote all of Dec's post, I completely agree! This year is gonna be some great racing and the sport class does have some awesome sounding planes that send chills down my spine pretty close to what the unlimited's do! (Well kinda). I also see it rumored that Race 33 might be back so that will add even more to the drama.

I hope Reno gets a big time sponsor and that Unlimited field we all miss will be back before we know it. All we can do is dream for now!
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Just about everyone I've talked to in the last few years has said "sport class is the future of air racing" meaning, the unlimiteds would some day go away and the Sport class would be the main class. Perhaps that day is coming sooner then most thought. I don't think this is the case, I think the unlimited field is just taking a hit this year, and hopefully will rebound next year. However, like I said above they probably do have a limited time, what that time is, is anyone's guess, might be years from now, I hope that's the case.
              I've come to really enjoy the Jet class in the last few years. The F-1's are and always have been a "true" racing class, basically airplanes built for one thing, racing. and I've always enjoyed them. Like someone else mentioned, I really like walking the F-1 pitts and watching the wrenching. Biplanes are great too and fun to watch. T-6's, talk about noisy, plus always some of the tightest flying, equates to some exciting racing.
              Sport class, guys/gals are going over 400mph. I remember when the unlimited's didn't go that fast. Perhaps there could be a new field, Unlimited Sports. use the same rules that apply to the class now, but eliminate the maximum cubic inch engine size.
              I remember, as do many of you, when we only had 8 or so unlimiteds, I loved it then, and I'll love this year too. I'll be there, if there's only two airplanes out on the course, I love air racing.
              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
                Just saw owner of the Yak that was to be raced died from his injuries in crash of his other Yak.

http://triblive.com/mobile/10885929-...legheny-county
                Sounds like a cool guy, ; Philly Obituaries

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                Ira did not own both Yaks. He was going to race his, but crashed in a different one that was to have been raced by its owner.
                So, that's two Unlimited's not coming?
                Last edited by Lon Moer; 08-10-2016, 11:08 PM.
                remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post

So, that's two Unlimited's not coming?

Correct

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                    Just about everyone I've talked to in the last few years has said "sport class is the future of air racing" meaning, the unlimiteds would some day go away and the Sport class would be the main class. Perhaps that day is coming sooner then most thought.
                    Sport class, guys/gals are going over 400mph. I remember when the unlimited's didn't go that fast. Perhaps there could be a new field, Unlimited Sports. use the same rules that apply to the class now, but eliminate the maximum cubic inch engine size.
                    I remember, as do many of you, when we only had 8 or so unlimiteds, I loved it then, and I'll love this year too. I'll be there, if there's only two airplanes out on the course, I love air racing.
                    Brian
                    hmmmm.......I've been thinking the same thing. LOVE the Unlimiteds, but the breed is getting so valuable and rare that eventually they'll be too valuable to experience the rigors of racing. REALLY like the idea of Unlimited Sport. And, wonder what Kerch could do with a Falconer motor? The guy obviously knows his stuff, maybe he would move on to a new frontier: first sport to run a 450 lap.

Comment

Quote for Tiger for those that don't do facebook:

“It is nice to say the radiator is not the problem with us not having Strega at Reno this year. We can get a radiator tomorrow if we had to. The problem is, we can’t get sponsorship and without sponsorship, we can’t race this year. This year, I am one of the Alternate Pilots for Czech Mate. I am looking forward to being at the Air Races, supporting the event, and seeing all the fans. Come on out and support the races and stop by the pits to say hello.” - Tiger Destefani, owner of Strega.

https://www.facebook.com/RenoAirRaci...type=3&theater
                      Random Air Blog

Comment

You missed one quote from Tiger "Money talks and B&%# walks"

Comment

Working...
                        X