Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Unlimited Field

Morning,

If what I'm getting is true there are nine (9) unlimiteds that entered by the entry cut off date! Nine.

The unlimited field has gotten smaller and smaller in recent years resulting in less unlimited heats, but nine racers? This may mean only one heat race a day. Come on.

Again I'm leaning on staying at home as it appears the event may not be worth the expense of going. I know there are the other classes, but I go for the unlimiteds.

I pretty sure RARA will allow any qualified entrant to race if they show up, but how many will do so as I doubt RARA will put up the full purse money for a small, heck potentially extremely small field.

Has anybody seen the unlimited entrants list? I sure hope I got this wrong.

Warbird Willie

Re: 2016 Unlimited Field

Originally posted by Warbird5 View Post
    Morning,

If what I'm getting is true there are nine (9) unlimiteds that entered by the entry cut off date! Nine.

The unlimited field has gotten smaller and smaller in recent years resulting in less unlimited heats, but nine racers? This may mean only one heat race a day. Come on.

Again I'm leaning on staying at home as it appears the event may not be worth the expense of going. I know there are the other classes, but I go for the unlimiteds.

I pretty sure RARA will allow any qualified entrant to race if they show up, but how many will do so as I doubt RARA will put up the full purse money for a small, heck potentially extremely small field.

Has anybody seen the unlimited entrants list? I sure hope I got this wrong.

Warbird Willie

Based on what is happening in the other classes, late entries my not be welcomed.....

Comment

Originally posted by Warbird5 View Post
      Morning,

Warbird Willie
      Given the cost to field an Unlimited, the limited number of airframes available and the fact that nobody outside Reno old-timers even has a clue about class differences, not showing up only speeds up the demise of Unlimited as a class....

Comment

I hate seeing the small unlimited feel as much as the next guy but if RARA starts to get their act together there is still more than enough potential for Reno to be back to what it once was. I'm talking about the fact that there are still a pretty good handful of Unlimited's still "race ready" out there. If RARA could just reel them back in we could have a gold race with 6-8 racers all ready to take the trophy.

I'm talking about Strega, Voodoo, Bear, Dago Red, Dreadnought, Czech Mate, 232, Furias, Precious Metal, and even Spirit of Texas and Miss Merced to keep everyone honest. Throw in Shockwave, Wildfire, that full race Yak that's been posted here recently, this is all what keeps me hopeful. Now I know it's only hopes and dreams at this point but that is still a field that's possible in our wildest imaginations.

I always hope one day a HUGE sponsor will pop up that can justify all these hot rods showing up (or being finished), and leave the winner with a profit. I'll keep my dreams alive until I see everything I just named thrown in the trash or put back to stock.

And the other side of this is the pilots to fill them which I determined that there are probably enough out there right now to fill up most of what I just named! The guys are ready, but that's the easy part.

Just my 2 cents
        Last edited by GRNDP51; 08-08-2016, 04:35 PM.
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

You're forgetting 'Double Threat' ...

Comment

At this point I'm there to hang out with friends and drink and watch my friend's cover band Steelbreeze downtown . That's about all I look forward to.
            Last edited by John H; 08-08-2016, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
              At this point I'm there to hang out with friends and drink and watch my friend's cover band Steelbreeze downtown . That's about all I look forward to.
              We know ...

But secretly you're hoping Dago will someday return, and take it all away!

Comment

Different John H.

So I take a look at this thread and, that guy looks familiar. Hey, that’s me! Miller High Life, Dago Red long sleeve and my SaniHut vest. I’ve lost about 30 lbs. from that picture and I’m going to break out a couple of new Dago Red long sleeves from the “archives” for this years races.

The other John H
                Last edited by f8f1; 08-09-2016, 07:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

....That's about all I look forward to.
                  I'm looking forward to what Voodoo will be bringing to the plate in the next couple of years. I talked with someone at Oshkosh that I had talked to about possible improvements for the plane in the past, and there's a couple of new, really talented and respected individuals throwing their hats into the program. Not sure if any of their refinements will show up this year, but I get excited thinking about the potential

Comment

Originally posted by f8f1 View Post
                    Different John H.

So I take a look at this thread and, that guy looks familiar. Hey, that’s me! Miller High Life, Dago Red long sleeve and my SaniHut vest. I’ve lost about 30 lbs. from that picture and I’m going to break out a couple of new Dago Red long sleeves from the “archives” for this years races.

The other John H
                    Oh no!!

Guess I glanced quickly, and only assumed!

Will be good to see you again this year, other John H.

- Joseph

Comment

Hey 1:1 -- can you say who these folks are and what they`re bringing to the Voodoo program...

Neal

Comment

F1 has a full field , some old racers getting rebooted and a few brand new ones gonna be an awesome year in f1

Comment

I think IF1 will be the most interesting and fun racing of 2016...

Less noise but almost certainly more RACING than the Unlimiteds.

Just my admittedly biased opinion. I`ve always loved F1.

Neal

Comment

Just saw owner of the Yak that was to be raced died from his injuries in crash of his other Yak.

The Tribune-Review is a multi-platform news organization, covering the Steelers, Pirates, Penguins and Western Pennsylvania.

Comment

Just saw owner of the Yak that was to be raced died from his injuries in crash of his other Yak.

http://triblive.com/mobile/10885929-...legheny-county
                              Ira did not own both Yaks. He was going to race his, but crashed in a different one that was to have been raced by its owner.

Comment

Working...
                              X