Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Open Letter - if RARA is listening.

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
    Oh, look....there's Brad giving the hornet's nest a wide berth. BCIV would be so proud.
    If the nest is asking to be kicked...oblige it.

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu View Post
      If the nest is asking to be kicked...oblige it.

Jarrod
      +1. Come on, give it to us straight.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
        +1. Come on, give it to us straight.

Comment

The silence is deafening.

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini View Post

And speaking of the boxes, where are the pretty girls selling beer. I know it's sexist, but how better on a hot afternoon to separate your average doofus from his money. It always worked with me.
            She is up with us.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
              She is up with us.
              The pretty ones know where to go - Section 3

Comment

I guess if the elders don't want to teach us what they've learned, us "kids" will just fumble F our way through with concerts and stupid chit like that. At least we want to talk about it in an effort to make it better for everyone. If we don't, I feel it shall surely die.

Is poor leadership better than no leadership? At least with poor leadership we will have something to base the next round of bad decisions off of.

I'm sure it's all been said before but having two small children, I know that I have to say everything over and over and over to get it to sink into their soft heads. In terms of air racing insight I still feel like kid. A big stupid 43yo kid. Actually more like orphan right now. Do I sound frustrated? I am!

I would usually just delete this kind of rant but, I ain't gonna this time. Flame on. At least we'll get something out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                  If fan attendance went up 20% the year after these implementations, and another 30% the year after that, that would be 50% greater overall compared to last year, by Reno 2018. At Which point more vendors would pay attention, as well as sponsors, and naturally a bigger purse would begin to ensue. By 2020, it could be a completely different ball-game. I'm no marketing strategist. But c'mon RARA. Isn't this stuff common sense?

- Joseph
                  Instead of posting in a public forum, why don't you directly contact RARA with your ideas? Contact is easy through the website. Last year's attendance was up to 100,000 people from around 70,000 the year before. Projections for this year are for between 100,000 to 150,000. This year NBC is doing a total of three specials instead of just one. Sounds like they are more on the right track than anybody gives them credit for.

Comment

I don't know what their strategy is. As a long-timer I've seen it come and go with good years and bad. For me the decline of the unlimited lately is a biggie. That's me though and I represent the few fanatics that do not really keep this sport alive on a business scale. We are too focused and mostly too cheap.
                    It seems that using these novelties, the high profile acts, the concerts, the drones, the education programs, basically anything to draw a larger crowd will eventually lead to increased revenue, increased purses and increased participation of what I like. Until then I can enjoy what is offered and trust in the future.
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post

This needs to be a place where the moms and kids can hang-out for a few hours, plug in their phones, surf wifi, have a drink, eat their lunch (from one of the food stands) and relax.
                      - Joseph
                      I guess I'm missing something: why would "mom and the kids" pay admission to hang out for a few hours,plug in their phones,surf Wi-Fi.......when they can do it at the hotel that they've already paid for? Maybe I'm old-school, but I think the races are fine. If someone who's NOT interested in the races will come out just because they've got free Wi-Fi, hell.....just hang out at Starbucks. Personally, I think they need to just bump up the admission price to generate a larger gate. Larger gate=larger purse. Auto races I attend charge at least 2X what they charge at Reno. Bigger purse=Strega, the Bear, et al and that'll put butts in the seats. I've been going for 46 yrs. and LOVE (d) it. I'm kinda doubtful this year if it's just gonna be VooDoo cruising out front........(remember the "Super Gold"?)

Comment

Ah the "Super Gold". Seemed like such a good idea at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                          yeah, but idea and execution are completely different. Rare Bear....grab a beer.....there goes Dred....hit the head......there goes (help me here.it's been a long time) Risky Business........

Comment

About as good as the Dago Red lap speed record attempt, after a hard race. Of course we DID get to see an emergency landing and a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of fried Merlin...

I would be happy if all they did was race. My favorite parts are quali's and early morning races, they stack them to get them over before the wind and heat.
                            I am thinking they are on the right track for longevity. There are a few decisions they have made that I think are shortsighted (The Rod Lewis "incident" comes to mind) but like I said I have faith.
                            They could sure use another sugar daddy like the old days with Raley's, Camel, Skoal.
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                              About as good as the Dago Red lap speed record attempt, after a hard race. Of course we DID get to see an emergency landing and a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of fried Merlin...

I would be happy if all they did was race. My favorite parts are quali's and early morning races, they stack them to get them over before the wind and heat.
                              I am thinking they are on the right track for longevity. There are a few decisions they have made that I think are shortsighted (The Rod Lewis "incident" comes to mind) but like I said I have faith.
                              They could sure use another sugar daddy like the old days with Raley's, Camel, Skoal.
                              I am pretty much like Leo, and I do wish there were more sugar daddies such as certain un-named celebrities with beaucoup bucks who are into aviation that could sponsor unlimiteds incognito or otherwise and it would cost them a day's income or less...

I see airshows like the Hillsboro Air show near Portland where they make things so miserable for the fans that even I wont go, yet they seem to make money.

I attend OSH every year except this year due to health and they get over half million visitors who pay big bucks to see it from all over the world. And their event is healthy and attendance is growing. The EAA also does smaller but fine events such as Arlington and Sun and Fun. I wonder what would happen if THEY helped Reno as far as marketing, bringing in OMG display aircraft and getting more folks who are deep into aviation to show up? I am not saying it would be easy....its just an idea that I am sure others have kicked around for years. But when someone does something right, you have to listen to them. OSH is a miserable place. It is hot and humid and you have to camp a mile from the flightline and take a tram or ride a small scooter or bike. But people come cause what they can SEE.
                              Chris waiting for a night airshow where is big air tanker drops a load of flourencent retardant. Or maybe a car drop.

Comment

Used to have a car drop. had tanker drops at times (Heck, even the one-off Lincoln races had a red, whit and blue drop from a DC-4) and with the tanker base right there... of course they usually leave at that time. Video I've taken over the years shows some pretty cool fill-in stuff.
                                I've been to many shows and races over the years and some have been downright nasty, think the Madera shows when it was 105 in the shade. Reno isn't all that comfortable either but better than some.
                                Dunno, I thought they did better last year than the year before. This year there will be a lot of formula and sports planes. At least it's racing!
                                The only thing they are doing over the last few years that worries me is the slow removal of the general admission seating and ramp areas. It seems to constantly get smaller. Those are the cheap seats and I am guessing the majority. I have seen shows ruined by the closing off of any viewing to the general admission, both the Salinas show and the Hamilton races did that. Pay to get in then pay to watch. Not stopping me yet though!
                                airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X