Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Open Letter - if RARA is listening.

Originally posted by johnnyrace View Post
    It has been interesting reading this discussion...The reasons for what's happening are plentiful regarding the issues this great event is facing and you all have touched on many of them...Besides all the unusual circumstances, the self inflicted wounds, and tragic happenings this event has absorbed over the last several years there is also a very real issue regarding getting younger people interested for the future , not just in air racing, but in most forms of racing...Cash of course would be a big help in our situation, but that may only be a temporary solution.

As for the current and future interest ( or lack of interest rather ) for younger people I partially blame technology such as smart phones and social media which has changed nearly every aspect in peoples lives, especially younger peoples lives over the last several years...Attention spans are short and an event like Reno can sometimes be slow...The constant drum beat fed to kids of getting the newest tech, that all things are disposable, and the need for instant gratification makes for a mindset that has virtually no interest in anything other than their smartphone screens ...Many would rather chase imagined treasures playing ridiculous crap like Pokemon Go than attend an actual tangible event like the air races...That is going to be tough to beat as they have been indoctrinated by this new tech world for what is essentially their entire lives... Also an event like Reno is steeped in history , it is connected to a bygone era, and as someone that has been in the antique business for 30 years I can tell you that there is nearly zero interest in the past or for things old and historical by most of those under the age of 35...Now I know there are exceptions out there, but overall it is true and it has been trending that way for several years...Unfortunately nothing really lasts forever...Ask a 25 year old about Vaudeville, or who Humphrey Bogart was , or about a Worlds Fair...These events and people were as big as things get and yet as time passes they have faded away...It is just the progression of time and likely inevitable.

I hope i am wrong and the Reno Air Races continue for many many years to come because once it ends, it will be very unlikely that the world will ever see anything like it again and that would truly be a sad thing...If there are only 9 Unlimited this year then so be it, the other classes are there to enjoy and often much more entertaining...Seems odd that even the smallest of fly ins can often get 9 Mustangs and Sea Furies to show up for no money at all...oh well...I for one will be there in September because I want to support this event that I love so much and I know the only hope I have of ever seeing two dozen unlimiteds showing up to race again is to make sure the event continues to happen. By not showing up you just place another nail in the coffin...I understand that the expense forces some spectators to not come or participants to not participate, but I would think that if someone truly loves and lives for September and can afford to go then they would find their way there, as a spectator or as a participant...Here's hoping for some changes of heart before it's too late.

LONG LIVE THE RENO AIR RACES !!!
    Well said, JR. You nailed it...........

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
      Well, there's the old joke: Why are divorces so expensive? Because they're worth it! $770,000,000.00 kind of puts a new spin on that, though, doesn't it?

That is, look further ahead; will Mr. Lewis ever recover enough from a huge financial hit like that to be able to afford to race again?
      Oh, we're talking about an actual d-i-v-o-r-c-e. I thought it was a metaphorical split between Mr. Lewis and RARA.
      Gotcha.

Comment

My understanding was there was a bit of a tiff between RARA and Mr. Lewis also. Could be wrong, just what I heard.
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

$770,000,000 I know how that feels. Playing baseball, I took a few line drives to the private parts. Probably feels about the same.

Comment

Working...
          X