Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSLR Options for the pylons 2016

Fellas..

I've been browsing the Semi-Pro DSLR market this summer, looking to potentially shoot with a new Full-Frame in time for September.

Previously I have been acquainted with the Nikon D800 w/variety of lenses. And also the old Canon EOS 70D.

I was primarily curious if anyone here had shot aviation with the newer Pentax K-1 ?
    It seems comparable to the D800. But I wasn't sure about the slower shooting speeds of the K-1, and less focus points. I do like the higher ISO range, since I enjoy night photography as well.

I know that most of you professionals are Canon guys. Maybe you could shed some light, and convert me?

Hoping to jump on the Full-Frame bandwagon soon. So help me out!

- Joseph

Re: DSLR Options for the pylons 2016

Full frame is certainly the way to go for more general photography, but for pylon work a good argument can be made for one of the high end smaller sensor models. Nikon released one called the D500 last fall. It has perhaps the most advanced autofocus system around at this point. The smaller sensor gets more out of your lenses, and this camera is developing a reputation for uncanny focus speed and accuracy. I would look up test reports and reviews of the D500. There is also a great Nikon-oriented website called Nikonians, which has a forum specific to the D500. That site has lots of experienced users commenting on any Nikon bodies and lenses you can imagine. Highly recommended.

Users of the gray lenses would argue, but I do not think The other company has any products that quite match what the D500 (or the $7000 full frame D5) can do for the action photographer.

I personally use D800s at this point, but would probably not use them for pylon work -- that's a different ball game from what I'm doing since I stopped going to Reno.

Neal

Comment

This is really great advice Neal. Thanks! It's pretty obvious in the reviews, and opinions, that for fast action photography, this little D500 is really performing well. I do enough in the woods, up close with Elk and Deer here in the mountains of Idaho, that reaching out a bit more with that crop sensor might come in handy. I'm going to keep reading .. Thanks!

- Joseph

Comment

Wildlife photographers, and "birds in flight" photographers seem to really love this camera, and the latter especially are dealing with some very demanding shooting situations. The D500 price is quite attractive, too. For extensive work on the pylons and similar work consider adding the extra battery grip to a camera of this size. The extra mass really helps to stabilize the whole rig with longer lenses.

Also, look into the newish 200-500mm zoom lens if you go the Nikon route. It has been discussed here on AAFO recently.

Neal

Comment

I have a D500 to use for Airventure this week (with the new 200-500 of course), really looking forward to testing it out especially during the twilight show. I can either post my thoughts on it or just PM you if you're interested in what I think of it.

Comment

Connor -- please post your impressions here. I'd be interested, and I suspect others might be too.

But post some photos, too, for those of us won't be there!

Neal

Comment

And Joseph, if you have some interest in wildlife work, you really should join the web community I mentioned -- Nikonians.org. They have an extremely active wildlife forum, as well as a dedicated aviation forum. Great people over there, from around the world. I very highly recommend that site to any photographer, and especially to anyone using Nikon equipment.

Connor -- some of your stuff would be well received on the aviation forum at Nikonians. It would give you a chance to show off a bit, and probably to learn a lot.

Joining is free, but to post images and get critiques and such requires a paid membership. I think it's $15 a year -- about the best photographic investment I've ever made.

Neal

Comment

Thanks fellas!

Yes Connor, please do post away!

I'll check out the forum Neal. I appreciate the tip!

- Joseph

Comment

Neal, Joseph I will post some highlights tomorrow night!

I just finished my initial testing to familiarize myself with it and so far I'm pleased! I did a quick check of what the higher ISO settings produced; I think it should live up to its reputation there.

Also thanks for the Nikonians recommendation, Neal. I'll go check it out!

Connor

Comment

You are both welcome. Regarding the web site -- I've been a member there for many years. I'm always amazed at the depth of knowledge there. It has been a godsend at times when I have a question about anything photography related.

Neal

Comment

The Nikonians forum has a ton of info on pretty much everything having to do with a Nikon. Their aviation photography forum really needs some people who can shoot prop planes without propcicles. 1/800 sec is a little excessive for a prop plane, and for anything really. It doesn't take much still to get a sharp pic that shows zero motion at 1/800. The work I see posted here is FAR more impressive than what I see there for the most part. (Yes there are some good shots that were taken at a more reasonable shutter speed. They seem to the be exception however.) Some of the jet pics are pretty cool however.

I think I might have to spend the $ to be able to post some of my stuff.

Will
                      Last edited by RAD2LTR; 07-27-2016, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Neal, Joseph and anyone else interested in the Nikon D500 & 200-500.

Wow! Absolutely love this setup, I shot the entire day with the 200-500 on the D500 and it never once let me down. I actually met two other people during the day that were using the exact same equipment. One was from New Zealand and the other was from Scotland, and I actually spent the better part of the airshow with the guy from Scotland (he loves the camera and lens too).

I think the lens has already proven it's worth here, if not I'd be happy to comment on it later. The D500 though, most of the talk has been around it's ISO capabilities and the auto focus system. It's for a good reason, both are really impressive. Other than a test in my backyard I haven't been able to really put the high ISO to good use, I'll save that for Saturday's night show.

The autofocus is incredible! The two most noteworthy things for me were;
                        1 - the spot where I like to watch the airshow from in Oshkosh has all the loud speaker poles in the way of the runway. In years past if my camera (D5200/D7100) happened to lock on to one while tracking something, it would take too long to get back to my target. With the 500 it can focus between foreground and background almost faster than you can press the shutter.
                        2- How "smart" the autofocus system is, which is largely due to the number of focus points. The "Class of '45" act does a side by side pass down the runway; when I focused the camera on the two airplanes, the camera recognized that there were two subjects and split the focus points between the two. Not sure if this is something really new to all Nikons, but my D7100 certainly doesn't do that. My new Scottish friend also agreed that this is pretty incredible.

A couple frames before this picture, while the two were visible side by side is when the camera split the auto focus points.

Echelon Pass by Connor Madison, on Flickr

Same thing during the heritage flight

Heritage I by Connor Madison, on Flickr

Heritage II by Connor Madison, on Flickr

I think this would be a great setup for Reno!

Connor
                        Last edited by CJAM427; 07-28-2016, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! It's looking really impressive. Another thing, that bright nearly cloudless sky is tough to shoot birds in. But you're getting great color on that polished mustang, and even the Corsair, with blues over blues. Still lots of definition there. Sounds like the focus system is paying off!

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                            Thanks for the feedback! It's looking really impressive. Another thing, that bright nearly cloudless sky is tough to shoot birds in. But you're getting great color on that polished mustang, and even the Corsair, with blues over blues. Still lots of definition there. Sounds like the focus system is paying off!

- Joseph
                            You're welcome! Another thing I forgot to mention is the unlimited buffer (I think its 200 RAW images with a XQD card). I'm not really a machine gunner, but it sure is awesome to hold down the shutter and not worry about it stopping to buffer.

One thing that makes that easy is that the sun is directly behind you during the afternoon show which makes for amazing lighting.

Comment

Canon users?
                              https://youtu.be/f4zyjLyBp64
                              http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                              http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Working...
                              X