Hey, it's July already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, it's July already

Is it just the Trump Effect or is everybody just scared to post news? Surely, (I know, don't call me ...), there are some Unlimited race teams preparing for September? Who is doing what and who will drive which? Is everything still secret this July? Where will or has Kerch landed? Will he be used by somebody who respects his skills and winning record? Will there be a field fast Unlimiteds worth my expenses and attention to attend for a week in the high desert for my 47th consecutive year of Reno Christmas in September? Huh?

Please, somebody somewhere spill. Flying motorheads gotta know.

Ok,ok. I'm coming for the whole show anyway. Who isn't? I'll stop when it gets old.

Re: Hey, it's July already

Originally posted by Sneauxman View Post
    Is it just the Trump Effect or is everybody just scared to post news? Surely, (I know, don't call me ...), there are some Unlimited race teams preparing for September? Who is doing what and who will drive which? Is everything still secret this July? Where will or has Kerch landed? Will he be used by somebody who respects his skills and winning record? Will there be a field fast Unlimiteds worth my expenses and attention to attend for a week in the high desert for my 47th consecutive year of Reno Christmas in September? Huh?

Please, somebody somewhere spill. Flying motorheads gotta know.

Ok,ok. I'm coming for the whole show anyway. Who isn't? I'll stop when it gets old.
    Since it seems no one else wants to play yet, so I will!

*For the record I am not within any race teams inner circle or anything like that, I just pay very careful attention to everything and anything posted online about air racing.*

So what I am aware of as far as Unlimited news is concerned.

Voodoo -looks like they're pretty much ready to go, I'm sure you saw the hot laps Steve-O ran at PRS with Strega's prop and a Flores(Nixon) motor installed. As of last week it was just chilling at the Planes of Fame and it looks like they're pretty much ready to go. Only question would be whether they run Strega's prop or their own.

The Giant Killer aka Czech Mate aka The Little Yak that could (kick ass). -New stick this year, Jay Consalvi which brings a really cool plot line to the story of the races given his background. Hopefully he's been getting a lot of stick time in it lately, because he hadn't flown it before PRS. By no means do I mean to discredit any of Jay's skill, but landing in that Yak is no picnic what-so-ever. So I hope he gets a lot of practice in before the races, because the way I see it all that stands in his way from a guaranteed podium finish, is a hard landing that damages the airplane in some way. I don't see it being pushed any harder than it has been in the past just because there's a new pilot, and in my opinion I don't think it'll be able to pass Voodoo unless they've been secretly working on some speed mods. Just my opinion, either way I'll be happy to see it on the course!

Sanders Aeronautics -Pretty sure all 3 Sea Furys will be there, I wonder if Dread. will have the tall tail back? Also I think newly certified race pilot Joel Swagger will be flying Argo at the races!

Saw Bones -looked great over the weekend at the Air Expo. They have a new spinner which I think should add a couple mph and maybe they can get in the way of a Sanders sweep-finish.

Yak Pack- Dusty Dowd (sp?) is bringing his Yak again plus two new friends, woohoo! -That would be 4 Yaks including Czech, when is the last time there were as many Yaks as Sea Furys racing?

Boise Bee & Sneak Attack -word after PRS was that these two will be returning with John Maloney and Jim Thomas doing the flying. Great to see the Paul family back at Reno!!

Mrs. Virginia (Planes of Fame's P-51A) -Yes you read that correctly. As per their Facebook page its currently in the restoration shop "getting ready for Reno." I haven't been able to confirm if its actually racing or if its just attending to be flown (maybe in the heritage flights?). Either way, its cool to see such a rare Mustang at an air show, plus it was used in Marvel's Agent Carter -which is a HUGE recognition factor for people my age and younger and getting them interested in aviation.

Goldfinger -Word is it's not attending this year even though it appears that it would be more than ready, which has us all scratching our heads. Recent photos and videos show that it does not have any visible "go fast" parts aside from a really sexy paint job. I think we all just assumed it would race given it and its owner's history at Reno. I dug back through every bit of info that was released to the public about Mike Browns racing intentions and as far as I can tell, nobody ever actually confirmed he would indeed race it. Everything that was said was along the lines of "we hope to see it back at reno in the future." Maybe someone with inside knowledge can let us know what his intentions actually are.

My apologies to any team I left out, that's just what came to my mind!

Hope that did something for your Unlimited news fix, Sneauxman!

Connor
    Last edited by CJAM427; 07-19-2016, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Compare the numbers to 2011. There were 28 planes that qualified, 6 of those qualified over 460. This year looks like less than half that and only 2 capable of 460+. A whole lot less to talk about.

Comment

The new owners of Team Steadfast are very excited to announce that we are now preparing for an unlimited race entry at Reno in 2016. The new Australian Team is pushing for the 400mph Silver title.
        haven't heard anything recent though.
        remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Well there is really only one fast one competing and he might be using a borrowed prop, Unless Jay can pull out a hat trick, I guess Hoot does not have a ride, so at this point to find some news we have to look to other classes since unlimited will never be as we knew it the fast ones are getting to expensive to run and the money is not there to run them sad to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
            http://teamsteadfast.com.au/

haven't heard anything recent though.
            They announced a few months back that they would not make it this year.

Comment

Still hoping Dawson will bring Spirit of Texas back... And CJAM, there's no heritage flight this year so unless it's being used for the opening ceremonies or something.... maybe it'll be racing?! That would be wicked cool

Also still wondering about Race 57 attending since there's a new pilot for Argo..
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                Still hoping Dawson will bring Spirit of Texas back... And CJAM, there's no heritage flight this year so unless it's being used for the opening ceremonies or something.... maybe it'll be racing?! That would be wicked cool

Also still wondering about Race 57 attending since there's a new pilot for Argo..
                I knew I forgot a hopeful! Also I didn't realize there was no heritage flight this year so yeah maybe it will be race! When is the last time they raced it? Early 80's maybe?

I'm sure Race 57's attendance is up to whoever it is that owns it currently.

Comment

Big thanks to C. and all that reported. I wonder if a few more performers might make it? Any best guesses as to when the official entry list might appear?

Comment

I did a ton of looking and it appears the two new Yaks are likely N261MS, flown by Olivier Langeard,that looks much like Steadfast and might be at Oshkosh this year

and Ira Saligman in Yak 11 N5940. Both are great looking planes. I really look forward to seeing them on course.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                      I did a ton of looking and it appears the two new Yaks are likely N261MS, flown by Olivier Langeard,that looks much like Steadfast and might be at Oshkosh this year

and Ira Saligman in Yak 11 N5940. Both are great looking planes. I really look forward to seeing them on course.

Will
                      Hey, thanks. I am going to miss OSH this year due to health issues but either me or my ashes will be at Reno. This will be my 19th year motorcycling and camping there....
                      Chris

Comment

Will
                        Great looking plane! N5940 looks to be the blue camo one, recently sold off of Courtesy this year I think. Another cool plane can't wait to see them on the course with Dusty
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Will
                          You have that backward. Ira's Yak is N261MS.

Comment

I think Olivier lost his Yak yesterday enroute to Oshkosh. He escaped, but the plane is totally gone. N5940 http://www.warbirdinformationexchang...4de9a0780bb403

Crap.

Will

Comment

I think Olivier lost his Yak yesterday enroute to Oshkosh. He escaped, but the plane is totally gone. N5940 http://www.warbirdinformationexchang...4de9a0780bb403

Crap.

Will
                              Well that really sucks very glad he made it out alive but man we haven't caught a break lately. That A-26 had the nose gear collapse at Oshkosh yesterday. Not a very hot streak for our warbirds this year
                              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
                              X